13629Re: [GPSL] heaters

  • Anthony Stirk
    Oct 15, 2013
      Hi there Ryan,

      Generally you don't need to keep the temperature up. Most of the electronics should work down to -30'C which is about as cold as it gets in an insulated payload container. Batteries you should be using Energizer Lithiums anyway (Good to -40'C and beyond). I know people seem to think you need hand warmers in there but these generally don't work so well anyway in the rarefied atmosphere (>18km) as there is no significant heat transfer by convection.

      Generally even the low powered circuits using step ups keep themselves warm, just check all the components you're using are good to --40'C (Crystals on radio modules are sometimes only rated to -20'C i,e on the RFM22B). I would echo Zack's advise unless you're going for long duration good insulation is all you need. IMHo anything else is a waste of power and weight.

      Cheers,

      Anthony M0UPU

      On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Hanson, Douglas R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 63800 <douglas.r.hanson@...> wrote:
      Would someone please provide suggestions on keeping circuits warm at high altitude? For example, a battery powered on-board heater that is photocell activated. What specific technology is involved? Thank you.

      Ryan, KJ6YXG

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic