12897Re: [GPSL] When will the winds change?

    Mar 20, 2013
      For Texas, this would normally begin early April.  However, there is a fair amount of variation day to day and you'll have to check to see whether you have east, west, or light winds in the lower stratosphere.  It'll tend to go back and forth during the transition time.  This zone moves north through the spring and back south in the fall.

      I do have graphics at http://nstar.org/GFS where you can look at 0-16-day predictions of layers equal or higher than 100 millibars.  At these higher levels, these predictions do have some value for trends to do some initial planning.

      73 de Mark N9XTN

      On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM, excitontx <cgoldsmith@...> wrote:
      Hey weather-guys...

      In the winter, the jetstreams all collaborate in sending our balloons on long treks eastward.  During the summer, each altitude does their own thing and the flights can end up close to where they started.  Has anybody kept track of how and when this transition occurs?  March? April? (can you tell I'm anxious?).  Is it a fast transition, or does it occur over several weeks?

      Best,
      Chuck / KG5CA
      t was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade.
      Charles Dickens

          GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
          GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com