Boardlady

  • hilton0808
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1 7:01 AM
      I just found a great website with lots of useful info on epoxy boards.
      How they're built, how to care for them, and how to fix them when they
      break. Lots of good photos too.
      Check it out sometime while you are waiting for wind.
      http://www.boardlady.com/index.htm
    • Michael Thierfelder
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1 9:56 AM
        I've talked to her on a few occasions, she's really helpful and responds
        well to flattery. So if you need some help with a layup or advise on
        how to fix a ding just tell her how great she is and she'll surely go
        out of her way for you. A really nice lady though, and
        knowledgable...she's done like 5000 repairs and counting.

        hilton0808 wrote:

        > I just found a great website with lots of useful info on epoxy boards.
        > How they're built, how to care for them, and how to fix them when they
        > break. Lots of good photos too.
        > Check it out sometime while you are waiting for wind.
        > http://www.boardlady.com/index.htm

        Take a break and play crossword puzzles - FREE!
        http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_ wlmemailtaglinemarch07
      • Sonny Belieu
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1 5:41 PM
          Thanks for the Board Lady, good site.

          hilton0808 wrote:

          > I just found a great website with lots of useful info on epoxy boards.
          > How they're built, how to care for them, and how to fix them when they
          > break. Lots of good photos too.
          > Check it out sometime while you are waiting for wind.
          > http://www.boardlad y.com/index. htm

          Take a break and play crossword puzzles - FREE!
          http://games. msn.com/en/ flexicon/ default.htm? icid=flexicon_ wlmemailtaglinemarc h07

          Need Mail bonding?

        • Scott & Rita
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2 9:49 AM
            Message
            I am going to Maui and decided to take my own stuff this year. I got the boom and mast in the board bag and was gonna strap the one sail I am taking to the outside of the bag. I'd like to take 2 sails but I am thinking I am pushing it with even one carried this way. Anyone know if this will be problem at the airline? I am flying Hawaiian.

            thanks,
            scott

          • Mike Baker
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2 10:11 AM
              Message
              I also fly Hawaiian and place my 3 sails in a separate sail bag. The board, boom, mast and 2 board bags weigh about 30 pounds. Three sails in the separate babe weigh about 25 pounds. I have talked with baggage handles and they prefer 2 lighter bags rather than one heaver bag. It is also easier to store the smaller bags in the cargo hole of the plane. Occasionally at check in, the clerk says something but I just repeat what the baggage handlers have said.

              We have flown this way out of both Portland and Seattle.

              Mike Baker
              firewood2005 at gorge dot net

                  Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 9:49 AM

                  I am going to Maui and decided to take my own stuff this year. I got the boom and mast in the board bag and was gonna strap the one sail I am taking to the outside of the bag. I'd like to take 2 sails but I am thinking I am pushing it with even one carried this way. Anyone know if this will be problem at the airline? I am flying Hawaiian.

                  thanks,
                  scott

                • Debra Devaris
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2 11:09 AM
                    I am in Maui at the moment and flew Hawaiian as well.  I have been traveling with my gear for years with no problems.  However, flying out of PDX was a bit more challenging this time.  We packed a board, three sails, two booms and two masts in a coffin bag with extensions, etc.  $80 bucks as informed however, for the first time they weighed the bag.  We were at 75 pounds and 70 is the max.  They are definitely cracking down on size and weight.  We managed to pull 5 pounds out and then stuff it back in at the x-ray area but they do like it when the bags are lighter.  The one issue in packing two bags is they will charge you double.  So as long as your bag is 70 and under, they will take it at 80 bucks.

                    P.S.  Wind report this week is wind today and possibly tomorrow and then light and variable through the remainder of the week.  Hopefully trades return over the  weekend.  However, if you like surfing, it has been really good and we found some awesome places to surf on the south side - less crowds and 5-8 footers.  Hookipa has been super crowded with the Spring break holiday.   Also, the paddle boarding is really fun and getting very popular.  And of course, the weather you just can't beat it - no rain since we got here.

                    Safe travels and bring some wind with you.

                    Debbie

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7 8:12 AM
                      Yeah, iWindsurf REALLY sucks. Going with the cell phone is alright,
                      but then you pay extra for the internet access. AT&T is $15 a month,
                      $180 a year. Add this amount to what iWindsurf charges for the higher
                      rate wireless membership (from what I hear, those rates are going up
                      this season) and you could easily be paying $300 a year!! AND there's
                      still no forecasts for half the year... no really accurate wind sensor
                      in the Gorge for east winds (Stevenson doesn't do well when the "Queen"
                      docks and where's the sensor at Rooster?).

                      After 10 years with the service, no way am I going to renew my
                      membership this season.

                      -- Pete

                      --- In GORGEwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, "Scott & Rita" <mars@...> wrote:

                      > iWindsurf is cutting off their pager service, going to just
                      > wireless-web. I use both so I will get by but I have always found the
                      > pager to be more convenient and quicker than going thru the cell
                      phone.
                      > But at least it will be a lot cheaper.
                      >
                      > Scott

                    • Scott & Rita

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 7 2:09 PM
                          I've been using the wireless web version for the past three years - it
                          works well and they keep improving it too. Since its only a small
                          amount of data you download per access to iWindsurf, you should be
                          able to go with the lightest "internet" package available from your
                          cell phone provider. I use ATT and its $10/month for 4MBytes - which
                          is way more than I use from iWindsurf - even in the summer. I think
                          they also have a 1Mbyte/month plan that would probably work as well.

                          Work is progressing on getting a sensor back at Rooster Rock. With
                          any luck it'll be up and running by the end of May.
                          bobg

                          > Yeah, iWindsurf REALLY sucks. Going with the cell phone is alright,
                          > but then you pay extra for the internet access. AT&T is $15 a month,
                          > $180 a year. Add this amount to what iWindsurf charges for the higher
                          > rate wireless membership (from what I hear, those rates are going up
                          > this season) and you could easily be paying $300 a year!! AND there's
                          > still no forecasts for half the year... no really accurate wind sensor
                          > in the Gorge for east winds (Stevenson doesn't do well when the "Queen"
                          > docks and where's the sensor at Rooster?).
                          >

                          > After 10 years with the service, no way am I going to renew my
                          > membership this season.
                          >
                          > -- Pete
                          >

                          > --- In GORGEwindsurfer@yahoogroups.com, "Scott & Rita" <mars@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > iWindsurf is cutting off their pager service, going to just
                          > > wireless-web. I use both so I will get by but I have always found the
                          > > pager to be more convenient and quicker than going thru the cell
                          > phone.
                          > > But at least it will be a lot cheaper.
                          > >
                          > > Scott

                        • Peter Berkey
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 7 2:39 PM

                            Sounds like Rooster sensor will be ready just in time for summer west winds? Huh... too bad they didn't have it up over the winter, it would have really helped.  Guess I just don't get enough value from iWindsurf to justify the expense.  All I need to do is listen to my wind chimes and look out my window.... works for me every time.

                            The thing that bugs me most with iWindsurf is the customer service has really disappeared over the years along with the price increases.  Reminds me of the postal rates... pay more and get less.  They seem to have lost touch with the market and really distanced themselves from us windsurfing users.  Maybe it's because folks were so upset about some bad forecasting calls in the past.  This week has been yet another example.... Gorge Windbox didn't show east gradient for Thursday & Friday until the last hour... late Wednesday.... then it showed a gradient fade yesterday which didn't happen.  THEN it says we will get a huge west gradient surge today, which has certainly not happened.

                            Enough of that... I'm done with iWindsurf.

                            -- Pete