Compaq Aero 1550 power

  • mark_koepper
    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2011
      I'm still running GNII on the venerable Compaq 1550 because I think it still has the most readable display. This has worked fine for many years but now I'm having problems supplying power. I believe this is due to bad main batteries. Recently I had the main battery die during a flight despite the external power supply being OK.

      Ideally I would like to eliminate the main battery all together and simply run on external power only. Does anyone have information on how to do this? My experience is that if the main battery is removed the PDA will not power up on external power. I have several spare PDAs and would consider modifying one or more of them to run successfully without a main battery.

      Alternatively I would like to replace the main batteries. Many sources exist but seem to supply Chinese knockoffs. Does anyone have information on a source of reliable PE2021 batteries? Or information on test methods to verify the batteries are OK?

      thanks
      -Mark
      MK
    • Paul Remde
      Message 2 of 6 , May 23, 2011
        Hi Mark,

        I believe you are correct that the Compaq Aero 1500 units won't power-up
        without a battery installed.

        The HP part number for the battery is: HP PN: 146656-001. HP no longer
        makes them. I have only found knock-offs available online.

        I have had mixed luck when buying them because the holes on the battery
        don't usually quite line up with the pins in the 1500.

        I sell them for $39. Let me know if you want one. I charge more because I
        test them with my Compaq Aero 1550 before shipping them. I usually need to
        use a knife to make the square contact holes on the battery taller than the
        way they are when I receive them.

        I have found that all the online sources in the USA seem to get the
        knock-offs from the same source because they all arrive looking the same and
        in the same packaging. I don't recommend Shopforbattery.com because their
        service is very poor.

        Best Regards,

        Paul Remde
        Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
        Serving the soaring community
        <http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/> http://www.cumulus-soaring.com
        1-952-445-9033

        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2011
          Why not wire a connector to the battery plug for the external power, the external power becomes the unit's battery or tape a battery of the same voltage/current to the unit.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2011
            If it is any consolation my HP 2215 is even worse. Not only do you need a good battery but you also need the BATTERY COVER installed and nice & tight. My cover was just barely wiggling loose and causing me in flight mayhem when the unit would spontaneously power off. The cover is now securely taped down.

            But to the point below, that is an interesting idea, to solder directly to the battery terminals to provide ship power to the unit. But does the 1550 retain its memory (SeeYou, turnpoint files, etc) when it looses power. Of course either of Everett's suggestions will allow for easy cradle use (depending on the cradle).

            Message 5 of 6 , May 24, 2011
              Hi,

              I recommend buying 2 new batteries. They will last for 5 years and be less
              trouble than the wiring to the terminals solution.

              --- In GNII@yahoogroups.com <mailto:GNII%40yahoogroups.com> , Everett Carey
              <doswit@...> wrote:

              > Why not wire a connector to the battery plug for the external power, the
              external power becomes the unit's battery or tape a battery of the same
              voltage/current to the unit.

            • Kevin Wayt
              Message 6 of 6 , May 24, 2011
                The batteries in my 1530 were good if he would like this.

                Kevin