Call for nominations - Distinguished Alumnus Award - 12/01/09
- I am writing on behalf of the GMULambda Board to request any and all nominations for Mason's Distinguished Alumnus Award. Details are attached in DOCX format (please let me know if you can't read this format). If possible, please send your nominations by December 1, 2009, so that we as a group can give an answer to the alumni association by December 15, 2009.Also, please let us know if you wish to serve on the Awards Committee.Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.Sincerely,Rob for Alex, Matt, Darren and Jose---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Carol Swigart <cswigart@...>
Date: Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Subject: Celebration of Distinction
To: Matthew Bruno <thirdbruno@...>, "alexgant86@..." <alexgant86@...>Hi Matt and Alex,
I just wanted to let you know that the Lambda Chapter is invited to participate in this year's Celebration of Distinction by presenting a Distinguished Alumnus award. Over the years, this event has grown into a special tradition highlighting the accomplishments of our most prominent and accomplished alumni. The chapter can define what their Distinguished Alumnus means incorporating the following guidelines:
- Criteria for unit awards will be determined by the School or College Dean/Director and the committee and may include:*
- Professional accomplishments in their field
- Awards and recognition
- Service/contributions to School/College, University and community
- Level of engagement with the University
That said, the deadline to submit a name to me is December15. I apologize for the late notice, but wanted to give you the opportunity. If you want to wait a year to get the chapter going, I understand. If you think you can get someone selected by the deadline, I will work with you to support. One co-chair should be present at the April 14 ceremony to present and a plaque or certificate is presented. Funding for this would come from the chapter funds.
The following is the recommended procedure:
1. Form a committee (ie. Chapter officers) and potentially faculty and Mason staff
2. Identify potential nominees through various methods
3. Convene a meeting of the selection committee to determine recipient
4. December 15, 2009: Complete online submission to Office of Alumni Affairs.
5. February1, 2010: Prepare a description of the award and submit biographical sketch for recipient for inclusion in the program (form forthcoming).*
6. April 14, 2010: Celebration of Distinction dinner/reception. Please provide a certificate or plaque to be presented to the recipient.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. If instead, you would like to nominate someone for our Alumnus of the Year, Alumni Service, Faculty Member of the Year or Senior of the year, please read through our criteria and complete the nomination form for these also online.