New to GMRS

  • wqcu526
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      I recently purchased a set of GMRS/FRS radios (yes, a bubble pack) for
      family use. I wanted to be legal so I obtained a FCC license. Now
      that I have the radios and a license, I am looking for other ways to
      use my investment. If there was the potential to use my radios more
      often, I would purchase a more expensive unit. I guess I am asking
      how others are utilizing their GMRS radios.
    • rsklar1
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
        Well you can use them in many ways, such as when traveling in more
        than one vehicle with family you can give one radio to each vehicle
        with a family member in it. When you got to the park with family or
        kids, you can have each person carry a radio to stay in touch.

        Sometimes when my wife goes into the shopping mall I giver her a radio
        to keep in touch because she liked to go different plaes than I do,
        our cell phones don't always have good signals indoors.

        Amusement parks, Festivals, etc. I was recently at a family reunion
        in Denver and used my GMRS radios plus a few extra at the event. I
        was able to communicate with family members all over the area as
        people traveled and shopped, visted, by the pool, etc.

        I have even used them as a quick intercom between the upstairs and
        downstairs of our house.

        Best way to use them. Holloween, place a radio outside in a scarecrow
        and turn the volume all the way up and when kids approach --- <hehe>
        the scare crow starts talking.

        -Bob
        WQCR432

      • kvsp1160@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
          I use mine for long distance communications by repeaters, for community
          service, and one of my HT's has a DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Freq.) pad on it for use
          with my repeater controller.

          There are other uses that others have for their rigs and systems. But most
          use them on repeater systems and also to help their community with emergency
          issues and groups/organizations, etc.

          73's,
          Ryan
          WPUI299