Re: [GMRS] ERP of the Midland "4 watt" HT's

  • John L. Wilkerson Jr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:40:25 -0600, Rob Faurot wrote:

      > I ran across an ad for the Midland GXT-400 in Sportsman's Guide and
      > it
      > claims the radio has "4 watts power". It also uses 4 AA batts.
      >
      > I find it hard to believe the radio transmitts four watts and runs
      > off of 4
      > AA's.
      >
      > Any one ever put one of these on a meter?

      It is hard to believe. It is also not true. Looking up the data on
      these radios at the FCC website shows them to only put out slightly
      above 2 watts ERP.
    • striplingp
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, Lake Hodges Radio <lakehodgesradio@c...>
        wrote:
        > Four AA batteries pack a lot of power and four watts is easy to
        achieve...
        > many Ham HTs are four watts with smaller batteries.

        In fact, my Icom T7H says its 6W at 13.5V, which the rechargeable
        provides, and 5W with 4 AAs.

        Phil
      • Rob Faurot
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          Years ago I had a Yeasu 2M HT that supposidly was 5 watts and used 8 AAs,
          hence my earlier question. I guess the ERP/AA batt ratio has improved over
          the past 20 years.

          Rob