Midland 75-440 GMRS FRS Radio

  • J & D Schnoor
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2000
      On page 413 of the Cabela's Master Catalog Fall 2000 Edition I they list:

      Midland 75-440 GMRS FRS Radio

      This indicated that it has both CTCSS and DCS. Is this the first radio
      designed for either GMRS or FRS that has BOTH types of sub-audible
      signalling? What is interesting is I cannot see this radio listed on the
      Midland webpage and Cabela's shows it as back ordered when I search for
      their model # HA-22-3576. Is is permissible for a manufacturer to make a
      radio that operates on GMRS AND ALL of the FRS channels (at appropriate
      power, of course) or can they only operate on the first seven since they are
      "interstitial"?
    • qrm2000@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2000
        In a message dated 10/8/2000 6:30:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        schnoor@... writes:

        << Is is permissible for a manufacturer to make a
        radio that operates on GMRS AND ALL of the FRS channels (at appropriate
        power, of course) or can they only operate on the first seven since they are
        "interstitial"? >>

        That would be an interesting Type Acceptance. I'm curious to get the answer,
        also.

        QRM
      • Bob Leef
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2000
          This Midland model is obviously a GMRS model that also operates on the
          first 7 FRS frequencies such as 462.5625 MHz. by virtue of the fact they
          are originally GMRS frequencies that have a five watt power limit for
          operators who have a GMRS license. It can only operate on the first 7 FRS
          because, as it says, it operates with one or two watts - both being too
          much power for FRS 467 MHZ frequencies.

          To my knowledge there is no type acceptance for any brand or model over 1/2
          watt to operate the way you suggest on 467 as well as 462 interstitials.
          (The Midland says "1 watt or 2 watts").

          Did you find ANY mention of a FCC license being necessary for ANY of the
          models that require it? I didn't. On three pages of models I couldn't find
          a single note about "FCC license required". And, did you notice they are
          advertising a 25 WATT BASE UNIT with no mention of the license requirement?
          Incredible!

          When I questioned Cabela's about this last month I got the response:

          "We appreciate your concern with the FCC licensing. We have updated our
          knowledge on the FCC license requirements before our catalogs were printed.
          The latest news is Sports vessels under 31 feet do not require a license
          unless you are in a harbor or area where the Harbor master requires you to.
          Etc. etc. etc."

          How ridiculous!

          I wrote back: "From your answer it is clear you do not understand the
          situation" and explained they had answered about 1 (one) handheld VHF
          Marine radio and overlooked the 18 other radios they show. My question then
          was if they would be a responsible retailer and call the FCC to find out
          about possible license requirements of those 18 radios they advertise, then
          so advise the public in the catalog.

          Since 9-13 they failed to correspond any more, so I wrote a registered
          letter to the President on October 2.

          It is interesting however to see a new GMRS radio apparently coming on the
          scene with repeater capability. The 75-440 bears watching if and when it
          becomes available.

        • qrm2000@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2000
            In a message dated 10/9/2000 1:41:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            kb6don@... writes:

            <<
            I wrote back: "From your answer it is clear you do not understand the
            situation" and explained they had answered about 1 (one) handheld VHF
            Marine radio and overlooked the 18 other radios they show. My question then
            was if they would be a responsible retailer and call the FCC to find out
            about possible license requirements of those 18 radios they advertise, then
            so advise the public in the catalog.

            Since 9-13 they failed to correspond any more, so I wrote a registered
            letter to the President on October 2.

            BRAVO!!! Let us know how they respond.

            -QRM-

            A man wrote to the president of a Hotel chain complaining that there had been
            roaches and fleas in his room during a recent stay. He received the
            following response:

            "Dear Sir:
            "We cannot apologize enough for the situation you encountered while a
            guest at our facility. This is not the norm, and you can be assured that I
            am looking into the situation personally."

            Attached was a Post-It Note which said, "Send this guy the bug letter."