Re: certified radios

  • halcurtis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
      --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Robert R. Koblish" <n3hat@f...>
      wrote:

      > Is there a publicly-accessible list or database of GMRS-certified
      > radios? (I already know about the FCC's lookup by FCC ID number --
      > this lets you check on a particular radio model. What I am after is a
      > list of, say, all Kenwood models that are certified for use under Part
      > 95.)
      >
      > Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all,
      > Bob Koblish
      > WPXZ201

      The best piece of advice that I received regarding GMRS is not to worry
      about the Type Acceptance of all the available radios.

      Choose a brand and even better, a model by FCC ID, that you will base
      your system around. Then check that radio for Type Acceptance.

      If you are buying used, there are plenty of Motorola, Midland, Kenwood,
      etc, available. Your criteria regarding brand, programming, repairs, price
      and whatever will determine which model you settle on.

      A mix and match system will require more of your resources spent on
      getting on (and staying on) the air than a standardized system. So pick
      one and stick with it.

      H Curtis
    • Walter Howard
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
        The word "certificated" MEANS that is has been certified
        and given a file number.

        Therefore, your interpretation of the rule is incorrect.

        Walter, WPXP269

        On 1 Jan 2004 16:35:45 -0000 GMRS@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > Message: 13
        > Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:33:24 -0500
        > From: GaryErrol <GaryErrol@...>
        > Subject: Re: certified radios
        >

        > >My understanding from reading the rules and checking the FCC
        > database is
        > >that if it does not say it is accepted then it is not. What the
        > >manufacturer may state in their advertising is beside the point.
        >
        > As you cut and pasted from the FCC rules in a previous message:
        >
        > "Every station in a GMRS system must use transmitters the FCC has
        > certificated for use in the GMRS. Write to any FCC Field Office to
        > find
        > out if a particular transmitter has been certificated for the GMRS.
        > All
        > station equipment in a GMRS system must comply with the technical
        > rules
        > in part 95."
        >
        > Nothing written in the rules you point to above state that a radio
        > has to
        > be Part 95 certified. All the rules say is that a radio "MUST COMPLY
        > WITH
        > TECHNICAL RULES IN PART 95". So if the radio is built to comply, and
        > does
        > comply, then from what I read the radio would be useable on the GMRS
        >
        > frequencies.

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • GaryErrol
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
          Walter,

          Please then explain to me how my Pryme PR-460's which are only type
          accepted under Part 90, according the FCC data base, are being sold by
          Pryme and advertised as GMRS radios? Wouldn't you have thought that someone
          who knows a lot more about all of this then you or I, would have complained
          to the FCC and the FCC would have forced Pryme from selling these as GMRS
          radios? As I wrote, and cut and pasted from the FCC rules, it says that
          they must comply with Part 95 rules.

          By the very fact that 95.129 says "Write to any FCC Field Office to find
          out if a particular transmitter has been certificated for the GMRS." would
          lead me to believe that not every certified radio will show Part 95 on the
          data base. Otherwise their would be no need for this statement, if it
          didn't show Part 95, it wouldn't be useable. Part of that reason may be
          that some useable radios are out their that were manufactured and type
          accepted before Part 95 rules were in effect and even though they don't
          show being Part 95 certified, they comply and thus are useable on GMRS
          frequencies.

          Therefore, possibly your interpretation is incorrect,and not mine. But,
          also, as I said before, I'm not a lawyer and would not want anyone to take
          what I say as law. For me, I'll take my chances with my Pryme radios as I
          believe they are legal to use. And I know my Kenwood's are. But you do as
          you see fit. You sure can't go wrong if you choose nothing that clearly
          doesn't list Part 95 in the FCC data base!