List for GMRS repeater owners

  • dw.leeper@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 16, 1999
      Are you the owner of a GMRS repeater?
      Want to join a list dedicated specificaly for GMRS repeater owners?
      If so just send a blank message to: GMRS_RPTRowners-subscribe@onelist.com.
      If you want to join be ready to verify to the list owner that you are a GMRS repeater owner.

      David Leeper
    • Ray Vaughan
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 17, 1999
        At 05:08 AM 6/17/99 -0000, you wrote:
        >From: dw.leeper@...
        >
        >Are you the owner of a GMRS repeater?
        >Want to join a list dedicated specificaly for GMRS repeater owners?
        >If so just send a blank message to: GMRS_RPTRowners-subscribe@onelist.com.
        >If you want to join be ready to verify to the list owner that you are a
        GMRS repeater owner.

        Ah... what do you think this list is for?

        I mean you're free to start your own list... but this on already covers
        repeaters.

        Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
        KD4BBM
        ray@...
        http://www.rayvaughan.com/
      • Jon Pearl W4ABC
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 17, 1999
          > >Are you the owner of a GMRS repeater?
          > >Want to join a list dedicated specificaly for GMRS repeater owners?
          > >If so just send a blank message to:
          GMRS_RPTRowners-subscribe@onelist.com.
          > >If you want to join be ready to verify to the list owner that you are a
          > GMRS repeater owner.
          >
          > Ah... what do you think this list is for?
          >
          > I mean you're free to start your own list... but this on already covers
          > repeaters.
          >
          > Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
          > KD4BBM
          > ray@...
          > http://www.rayvaughan.com/

          Now we have all that we need to start GMRS_LISTowners@...

          It takes two to tango - a dontcha' kno...
        • Ray Vaughan
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 17, 1999
            >Now we have all that we need to start GMRS_LISTowners@...
            >
            >It takes two to tango - a dontcha' kno...

            hehehe... not a bad idea. As I always say, there's no such thing as too
            much information. I just hadn't thought the traffic level had gotten too
            high here yet. The user count is great, but so far, not a lot of
            conversation.

            Anyone interested in asking a question?

            Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
            KD4BBM
            ray@...
            http://www.rayvaughan.com/
          • David Leeper
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 17, 1999
              On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:05:03 -0400 Ray Vaughan <ray@...>
              writes:
              > Ah... what do you think this list is for?
              >
              > I mean you're free to start your own list... but this on already
              > covers repeaters.
              >
              > Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
              > KD4BBM
              > ray@...
              > http://www.rayvaughan.com/

              My list targets GMRS repeater owners, their repeaters, and their
              operation ONLY. This list is more general in nature. There must me some
              interest in having such a list. It wasn't even 15 min after I posted it
              that I got three requests to join the list. I got four more requests to
              join today for a total of seven so far. Apparently at least some find a
              need to have their own group. If you are a GMRS repeater owner and feel
              that my list is useless and repetitive then fine. Don't bother joining.
              IF one is not a GMRS repeater owner then why should one care?

              David Leeper
              List owner
              GMRS_RPTRowner@onelist.com
            • Ray Vaughan
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 17, 1999
                >My list targets GMRS repeater owners, their repeaters, and their
                >operation ONLY. This list is more general in nature. There must me some
                >interest in having such a list. It wasn't even 15 min after I posted it
                >that I got three requests to join the list. I got four more requests to
                >join today for a total of seven so far. Apparently at least some find a
                >need to have their own group. If you are a GMRS repeater owner and feel
                >that my list is useless and repetitive then fine. Don't bother joining.
                >IF one is not a GMRS repeater owner then why should one care?

                Usually a subtopic list makes sense when the bandwidth (message traffic) of
                the main list gets too high. Traffic here (unfortunately) is still pretty
                slow.

                Again, there's no such thing as too many lists... it just surprised me
                given how slow things have been here. Since the lists and being connected
                to them are free, I have no problem with being in a lot of lists.

                I'll join yours since I do own a GMRS Repeater (KAF9118). I hope you'll
                allow people who are considering putting up a repeater will be able to join
                yours too. I had hoped enough of us talking about setting up ours would
                get some users into putting up their own. Everyone who owns a repeater was
                at one time just a user.

                For some information on my system:

                http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm

                Thanks

                Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                KD4BBM
                ray@...
                http://www.rayvaughan.com/
              • David Leeper
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 17, 1999
                  >>On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:02:01 -0400 Ray Vaughan <ray@...>
                  writes:
                  <snip>
                  >I hope you'll allow people who are considering
                  >putting up a repeater will be able to join yours too.

                  Unfortunately that will not be possible. The whole point of the list was
                  to provide a forum for EXISTING owners. The majority if the current
                  subscribers that joined my list are from this list and I believe that if
                  one was interested in becoming an owner and wanted to pose a question
                  and/or comment regarding same then this list serves that purpose
                  perfectly. No need for that kind of messages to be on both lists. That
                  would be repetitive and unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. There is
                  enough repeater owners on this list that could help any parties
                  interested in managing a repeater.

                  >I had hoped enough of us talking about setting up ours
                  > would get some users into putting up their own.

                  It did! That's one of the reasons why I got mine! <G>

                  >Everyone who owns a
                  > repeater was at one time just a user.

                  How true!

                  David Leeper
                  KAE6619

                • Scott Havens
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 18, 1999
                    I guess I can see both sides of the argument re: whether a new
                    list for repeater owners is needed/advisable. I do disagree with the
                    idea that "there's no such thing as too much information." There are so
                    many lists out there that one person, even if s/he limits his or her
                    subscriptions to a narrow range of topics, can't possibly keep up with
                    all the activity, unless of course s/he has no other jobs or
                    responsibilities to worry about! Just reading (let alone replying to)
                    all the messages that come in every day can quickly become a full-time
                    occupation.

                    To a certain extent, taking discussions that are ONLY of
                    interest to repeater owners out of this list would be useful--IF
                    bandwidth and message volume were a concern. OTOH, I don't know what
                    mystical wisdom would need to be protected from the eyes of all us mere
                    users, so that only the annointed repeater owners could see and know it!
                    ;-)

                    Seriously, I only get one digest from this list every week or
                    two, and usually that only has a couple of messages in it. Thus, I see
                    no reason why an owners-only list is necessary _at the present time_. I
                    guess such lists exist in the ham radio world, but most ham lists carry
                    so much traffic and are so specialized that it's probably a good idea.
                    Who knows, maybe GMRS will take off in a big way, now that people have
                    gotten a taste of it via scanners and the FRS frequencies. (And that
                    could precipitate many more lists, such as "GMRS Repeater Users,"
                    "GMRS-FRS Relations," "GMRS Simplex," "GMRS Mobile and Roaming," etc.)
                    To my mind, though, the best way to encourage people to use GMRS is to
                    keep the info flowing freely, rather than restricting some of it to
                    certain segments of the user community, and that's what bothers me about
                    limiting membership to ONLY those who currently own repeaters. I just
                    hope that the "lords" who subscribe to the new list won't forget to post
                    a few relevant scraps of information for the nourishment of us
                    "peasants." We'd still like to know what's going on! Just MHO...

                    SRH/AB2V
                    Tampa Bay, FL
                  • David Leeper
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 18, 1999
                      On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:23:41 -0400 Scott Havens writes:
                      ><snip>
                      >OTOH, I don't know what
                      > mystical wisdom would need to be protected from the eyes of all us
                      > mere
                      > users, so that only the annointed repeater owners could see and know
                      > it!

                      Become a repeater owner and find out! Come join the exclusive group of
                      repeater owners.<g> :-)
                      Remember folks, This is a "sub topic". The list was created for those
                      that were system owners that are interested in communicating only with
                      other system owners. Also, there are some things that a repeater owner
                      may wish to share with other owners but not the "general user populous"
                      for various reasons. Is this being "snobbish"? Not really. It's called
                      protecting your assets. Some of us have several thousands of dollars in
                      equipment in use.

                      > To my mind, though, the best way to encourage people to use GMRS is
                      > to keep the info flowing freely, rather than restricting some of it to
                      > certain segments of the user community, and that's what bothers me
                      > about
                      > limiting membership to ONLY those who currently own repeaters.

                      Your absolutely right about encouraging people to use GMRS but who's
                      restricting the discussion of repeaters and repeater operation on this
                      list? Just because I chose to have a side room specifically for one thing
                      doesn't mean that that topic can't still be discussed in the main room.

                      >I just
                      > hope that the "lords" who subscribe to the new list won't forget to
                      > post
                      > a few relevant scraps of information for the nourishment of us
                      > "peasants." We'd still like to know what's going on! Just MHO...

                      We're not trying to hold anything back that may be relevant to the
                      general user populous! Relevant postings can always be posted to both
                      lists.

                      Now that we have beat this to death can we go on?

                      David Leeper
                      KAE6619
                    • Ray Vaughan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 18, 1999
                        >Now that we have beat this to death can we go on?

                        I'm sorry to say this has caused more interest than anything else so far!
                        Maybe now that everyone sees that the list is active, they'll be more
                        encouraged to ask or answer.

                        Has anyone played around with DX (Distance) on GMRS? I don't think it's
                        illegal, but not what the service was designed for.

                        Here's my favorite. Back when Dade (Miami) County REACT was running
                        carrier squelch, about 2 nights a year, we would hear the monorails in
                        Disney World (Orlando). It had to be a cold clear night, but it would wake
                        us up in the early morning hours... 'Monorail Blue to the switch beam'...
                        things like that.

                        Anyone else have a long distance on GMRS story?

                        Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                        KD4BBM
                        ray@...
                        http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                      • Bob Leef
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 18, 1999
                          Ray - Did D-World ever move off GMRS? D-Land here is licensed for 154, 464,
                          and 938 MHz frequencies. The only time I know that they have ever used GMRS
                          here was in the mid-70's when a few of the D-Land hotel people were on a .575
                          repeater that I owned. I knew there was extensive use of GMRS in FL at one
                          time, but they should have been "modernized" by now.

                          Bob Leef

                          Ray Vaughan wrote:

                          > From: Ray Vaughan <ray@...>
                          >
                          > >Now that we have beat this to death can we go on?
                          >
                          > I'm sorry to say this has caused more interest than anything else so far!
                          > Maybe now that everyone sees that the list is active, they'll be more
                          > encouraged to ask or answer.
                          >
                          > Has anyone played around with DX (Distance) on GMRS? I don't think it's
                          > illegal, but not what the service was designed for.
                          >
                          > Here's my favorite. Back when Dade (Miami) County REACT was running
                          > carrier squelch, about 2 nights a year, we would hear the monorails in
                          > Disney World (Orlando). It had to be a cold clear night, but it would wake
                          > us up in the early morning hours... 'Monorail Blue to the switch beam'...
                          > things like that.
                          >
                          > Anyone else have a long distance on GMRS story?
                          >
                          > Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                          > KD4BBM
                          > ray@...
                          > http://www.rayvaughan.com/

                          > ONElist: where real people with real interests get connected.
                          > http://www.onelist.com
                          > Join a new list today!
                        • John T Knott
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 18, 1999
                            Bob,

                            I think I can answer most of that. WDW for the most part is OFF of GMRS.
                            They moved 98% of there operations to 800mhz trunking. There is a hotel on
                            WDW property that is on .675 . They just in the past 3-4 months "pop'd" in
                            there. I beleive it is the Swan or Dolphin Hotel. Or one of the smaller
                            hotels nearby. They are operating off of a small "10" watt repeater that is
                            heard very well as far as 10 miles off of their property.

                            John Knott
                            President
                            Florida Council of REACT Teams inc.
                            >Ray - Did D-World ever move off GMRS? D-Land here is licensed for 154,
                            464,
                            >and 938 MHz frequencies. The only time I know that they have ever used GMRS
                            >here was in the mid-70's when a few of the D-Land hotel people were on a
                            .575
                            >repeater that I owned. I knew there was extensive use of GMRS in FL at one
                            >time, but they should have been "modernized" by now.
                            >
                            >Bob Leef
                            >
                            >Ray Vaughan wrote:
                            >
                            >> From: Ray Vaughan <ray@...>
                            >>
                            >> >Now that we have beat this to death can we go on?
                            >>
                            >> I'm sorry to say this has caused more interest than anything else so far!
                            >> Maybe now that everyone sees that the list is active, they'll be more
                            >> encouraged to ask or answer.
                            >>
                            >> Has anyone played around with DX (Distance) on GMRS? I don't think it's
                            >> illegal, but not what the service was designed for.
                            >>
                            >> Here's my favorite. Back when Dade (Miami) County REACT was running
                            >> carrier squelch, about 2 nights a year, we would hear the monorails in
                            >> Disney World (Orlando). It had to be a cold clear night, but it would
                            wake
                            >> us up in the early morning hours... 'Monorail Blue to the switch beam'...
                            >> things like that.
                            >>
                            >> Anyone else have a long distance on GMRS story?
                            >>
                            >> Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                            >> KD4BBM
                            >> ray@...
                            >> http://www.rayvaughan.com/

                            >> ONElist: where real people with real interests get connected.
                            >> http://www.onelist.com
                            >> Join a new list today!

                            >ONElist: where real people with real interests get connected.
                            >http://www.onelist.com
                            >Join a new list today!

                          • Pollywog
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 18, 1999
                              On 18-Jun-99 John T Knott wrote:
                              > From: "John T Knott" <jtk203@...>
                              >
                              > Bob,
                              >
                              > I think I can answer most of that. WDW for the most part is OFF of GMRS.
                              > They moved 98% of there operations to 800mhz trunking. There is a hotel on
                              > WDW property that is on .675 . They just in the past 3-4 months "pop'd" in
                              > there. I beleive it is the Swan or Dolphin Hotel. Or one of the smaller
                              > hotels nearby. They are operating off of a small "10" watt repeater that is
                              > heard very well as far as 10 miles off of their property.

                              Isn't that illegal now? Are they licensed?

                              --
                              Andrew
                            • SCAN911@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 18, 1999

                                << Anyone else have a long distance on GMRS story? >>

                                I was mobile in central and eastern Ohio a few years ago and was bringing up
                                a GMRS repeater in Fort Wayne, Indiana, if I remember right. Always fun to
                                work a band opening on GMRS....

                                73,
                                Chuck Gysi, N2DUP / KAB3210
                                SCAN911@...
                                Iowa City, Iowa
                              • barry Lands
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 18, 1999
                                  Ray:

                                  My most memorable dx on GMRS was back in 1981 when I first got my repeater
                                  from the shop. My tower wasn't finished, so the repeater was connected to
                                  my UHF Ringo that was only 15' above ground. It was about 10:00 pm on a
                                  cold and foggy fall night. I began hearing one side of a mobile to base
                                  conversation. I tried contacting him from the repeater mic but he couldn't
                                  hear. I ran out to my 20 watt mobile and called him. He responded and we
                                  chatted while I drove away from my mini tower. 5 miles away, I could hear
                                  his repeater and mine had become a low hum in the background. He identified
                                  himself as a REACTer on patrol in Dallas 185 miles to my north. He was
                                  hearing me through the Dallas REACT repeater while I got him on both mine
                                  and the Dallas tower.

                                  Barry Lands
                                  College Station, Texas
                                  <landsb@...>
                                  <http://www2.txcyber.com/~landsb>

                                  > >Now that we have beat this to death can we go on?
                                  >
                                  > I'm sorry to say this has caused more interest than anything else so far!
                                  > Maybe now that everyone sees that the list is active, they'll be more
                                  > encouraged to ask or answer.
                                  >
                                  > Has anyone played around with DX (Distance) on GMRS? I don't think it's
                                  > illegal, but not what the service was designed for.
                                  >
                                  > Here's my favorite. Back when Dade (Miami) County REACT was running
                                  > carrier squelch, about 2 nights a year, we would hear the monorails in
                                  > Disney World (Orlando). It had to be a cold clear night, but it would
                                  wake
                                  > us up in the early morning hours... 'Monorail Blue to the switch beam'...
                                  > things like that.
                                  >
                                  > Anyone else have a long distance on GMRS story?
                                  >
                                  > Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                                  > KD4BBM
                                  > ray@...
                                  > http://www.rayvaughan.com/

                                  > ONElist: where real people with real interests get connected.
                                  > http://www.onelist.com
                                  > Join a new list today!

                                • Bob Leef
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 19, 1999
                                    John - Since WDW just started using .675 one wonders about the license
                                    situation. Have you searched the FCC files via computer to see if they have a
                                    valid one? It may be an expired grandfathered one.

                                    Bob Leef

                                  • Bob Leef
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 19, 1999
                                      Hey, Chuck! Is WSUI still on the air? It was one of my favorite stations
                                      while in college at Davenport (too many) years ago. Are you still writing for
                                      PopCom and MT? I don't find your name in the index but it seems I have seen it
                                      somewhere lately. Noticed just yesterday that it's three years this month that
                                      the final issue of Scanner Journal was published.

                                      Bob Leef
                                      KB6DON/KAB5295

                                      SCAN911@... wrote:

                                      > From: SCAN911@...

                                      > << Anyone else have a long distance on GMRS story? >>
                                      >
                                      > I was mobile in central and eastern Ohio a few years ago and was bringing up
                                      > a GMRS repeater in Fort Wayne, Indiana, if I remember right. Always fun to
                                      > work a band opening on GMRS....
                                      >
                                      > 73,
                                      > Chuck Gysi, N2DUP / KAB3210
                                      > SCAN911@...
                                      > Iowa City, Iowa

                                      > How has ONElist changed your life?
                                      > Share your story with us at http://www.onelist.com
                                    • John T Knott
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 19, 1999
                                        Currently WDW is not on any GMRS Repeater. With the exception of a hotel on
                                        Disney property. I'm not sure if this hotel IS a Disney hotel or just one of
                                        many on there property.

                                        Just a few short years ago, EPCOT maintenence was WELL heard on .675 . Today
                                        there is just little ol' us and this Hotel. Disney has made the move to
                                        800mhz, "thank god" . The only channel that I have not sat and listen to is
                                        .625 .

                                        As for the grandfathering, yes they were but Disney and everyone else know's
                                        that has since expired.

                                        John