Re: GMRS the way it should be

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
      --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "eebie38" <eebie38@y...> wrote:
      I dont charge for using it, although
      > several have donated various equipment to the cause, and we've
      never
      > turned a licensee away. We're fortunate that the repeater is
      > located in an area which sees good coordination among users and all
      > the users are extremely polite,

      Chris, this is good to see. I also own and operate a repeater with
      the same guidelines as you. I think these repeaters are extremely
      important in that they can be heard for many miles by both legal, and
      illegal users. They are what sets the example of proper usage. We
      have had many "bubble pack" users try and contact us when operating
      over the repeater (if we are close enough we can hear them while the
      mic is off hook). When we hear them we invite them to use the
      repeater if they have a valid license. Since we don't chase users
      away, or threaten them, we have had much success, and extemely little
      interference.

      Steve
    • eebie38
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
        Excellent! Yeah, we haven't had much problem with interference. We
        did have some every time there is an activity at the local
        fairgrounds from FRS bubble radios but since we changed to DPL those
        problems have disappeared. We've always been nice to people and
        educate them and it always at least to this point worked to our
        advantage!

        Chris

      • kc7gf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
          I hope I haven't created a negative impression by quoting rules and
          regulations to those who feel they are 'special' and don't have to comply. I, too, own
          a GMRS repeater which is west of the Denver metro area. It is open for use by
          anyone holding a valid GMRS license and those that can follow the rules. So
          far we have a few polite family users. Some are also hams who's wives don't want
          to get an amateur license. I would like to see it used for what the FCC
          intended it to be, personal family to family communication. Anyone feeling they
          don't have to comply with the FCC rules will not be welcome.

          So far have not had any "bubble packs" try to access the machine but I have
          heard lots of "can you hear me now" transmissions when scanning the GMRS
          channels in monitor mode. Maybe this is one of the downsides to GMRS/FRS when living
          near a large metropolitan area.

          Anyone who can act "normal" is welcome to use this open machine.
          462.675 repeat, tone 141.3.

          Art - WPOL469
          KC7GF
          GROL
        • eebie38
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2003
            I don't think so. Rules have to be explained of course, but there
            are so many places with rules posted that we seem to be beating a
            dead duck for someone who could easily be pointed to the right
            direction and get on with the service! I got into GMRS because my
            wife didn't want to become a ham. Actually, 2 of 3 of us on here
            are hams and the third is a radiotelephone technician who could
            easily get the license. However, for what we wanted, it was the
            easiest and wisest choice to become GMRS licensed. It is a great
            tool and we have a real good time with it.

            Chris