Radio Decision Advice

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hello all, this is my first listing in the group.

      I'm trying to decide on which HT for GMRS.. I have
      narrowed the choices but I am having a hard time finalizing. Part
      of the problem is that I have a number of uses for the radios that
      conflict with each other in terms of what is important, so I'm trying to
      reach a compromise. For example my first use for these will
      be camping out in the desert for a week, where lugging
      around a heavy radio (ie the usual pro-HT) would be unpleasant.
      Then sometimes would be used for car to car or within city where power and
      performance matter most. I was a ham for 10 years, and worked
      with transmitters for a living.. I do know what a good radio
      is all about.. and I want that. But I know I might have to compromise
      to get price, size, and performance all in an acceptable range.

      Here is my short list.

      Midland G-11.. yes I know these are in the "toy" category but yet I hear
      good things about them, that they are actually better than their price
      suggests. If that is the case then they might be good enough to buy for
      my desert trip (where their small size and replaceable batteries are ideal).
      I have gotten by with my FRS radios in the desert in the
      past (motorola T250) but I want a range improvement and an audio quality
      improvement.. if there's a significant improvement over the T250's then it
      might not matter if better radios exist.

      Motorola T7200. These are right at a perfect price point.. $100 to $120.
      And they have a nice size and weight even though bigger than the Midlands.
      I am a little more trusting that their performance will be ok. I
      am a little down on the combo GMRS/FRS thing, but I can live with it.
      But I am just not sure that these are really better
      than the cheaper Motorolas like 5820's which I have tried and they are not
      that great. If I buy $50/each radios and they dissapoint then it's ok,
      I'll keep them around for extras. If a $120 radio stinks,
      then I'm stuck with it for a while.

      Midland 75-440. I have heard nothing but GREAT things about this
      radio, and I am willing to spend the money. But I am worried about the
      size and weight, also the charging of the battery. I wish I could
      find a store that carries them so I could hold it in my hand. They seem
      from specs to be almost as bulky as my BTX-127 MURS radios which I
      definitely would not enjoy having to tote around in 100+ degrees with no
      shade...

      All opinions appreciated! Thanks...
      -Ben

      PS: If anyone in New York City has any of these I could take a look at
      that would be the best.. either an individual who can help or a store...
      Thanks!
    • Ben
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 31, 2003
        On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:28:19AM -0400, Vincent Caruso wrote:
        > There is a group of idiots locally unlicensed running a 250 Watt repeater
        > that have got to go otherwise I would normally live and let live.

        It is amazing how ridiculous people can be.. if they are using HT's they
        would probably get the same exact coverage area running 50 watts as
        250. If you can't hit the repeater it's pretty useless.

        It is too bad that most anything you could do to screw them up would
        be illegal (not that they could complain). But hmm, how about operating
        simplex on their output frequency? I think that's legal and if you have a
        little power (it wouldn't take much) you'd drive them nuts! Got
        to use the same PL of course...

        -Ben
      • Don
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 31, 2003
          At 10:54 PM 7/31/03 -0700, you wrote:
          >Don't waste your time. The FCC absolutely does not care about GMRS.

          Let Me add to this CB , MURS FRS All Dot Freqs

          Enjoy Communications , Don KA9QJG
        • Tony Drake
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2003
            Yes they do.

            Here is what you need to do:

            Get a tape recorder and record the offending traffic
            (people talking, callsigns if any, etc). Note the
            date, time, equipment used (receiver and
            antenna/antenna height and gain) and exact location
            (street address or lat/long if known).

            2) If you have mobile capabilities capture from
            different points around town to help narrow down where
            the unit is located.

            3) After you have gathered as much of this info as
            possible, make a copy (keep the originals) and send
            the copies to the FCC Enforcement Bureau via certified
            registered mail.

            They will act on your complaints...you just need to
            make it easy for them. The more info about the
            location of the unit and the operators you can
            provide, the less time they need to spend to find it,
            and the more likely they will have time to validate
            your findings and get it taken care of.

            Tony

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705

            034690:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http:/hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egrou
            > pmail/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=101048777>

            > Terms of

            > removed]

          • Phil
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1, 2003
              --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Wolfe" <stringer@c...> wrote:
              > Don't waste your time. The FCC absolutely does not care about GMRS.

              I wish somebody would have told me before I spent the 75 bucks for
              the license. ;)
            • Apollo Vii REACT,Inc Team 4534
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1, 2003
                if you have a friend that a ham he/she make
                have the tracking stuff you need .
                ---
                Apollo VII REACT, Inc Team 4534
                215 Mayer Ct.
                Deerfield, IL 60015
                Phone 847-236-1955
                Joel Kogen GMRS License KAE 6944 (and use FRS Radio. )
                Amateur Radio License KB9WWZ (Technician )
                and member of the Lake County RACES/ARES Group

                On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 04:21:06

              • Maire Company
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1, 2003
                  call you local FCC office and talk to a field rep. Here is Tampa Fl. there
                  is an office as well as other parts of the us. Once you get one it should
                  go ok for you.

                  > I need help in contacting and filing complaints with the FCC, it seems
                  that
                  > whenever I call all I get is voicemail and when I e-mail there is never a
                  > reply.
                  >
                  > There is a group of idiots locally unlicensed running a 250 Watt repeater
                  > that have got to go otherwise I would normally live and let live.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance
                  >
                  > Vince

                • srefurd
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                    Do you need the tone selectability of the cheaper radios?
                    If not you may want to think about something along the lines of a standard hx-240. these radios are small, relatively light, and have a optional battery pack for using AA cells (restricts you to 1.5 watts though) I have had a pair of these for years and they have proven to be excellent radios. You can buy them used on ebay for ~50 dollars sometimes and cost you less than 100 for the programming stuff if you catch it right.

                    my .02$

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                      Why do you constantly say don't waste your time. Do you have personal experience when you make that claim. Well I DO and YES, THEY DO CARE and YES, they WILL act. You must have your information and facts correct. The more information you can supply them the better. Remember, if the job is easy for them, they will like the success. If it is a difficult job, they would tend to handle several easier jobs than one difficult job.

                      It must be done in writing and in a clear and concise manner addressed correctly and written in such a manner that makes clear sense to them.

                      I can personally attest that THEY WILL ACT.

                      Ed Greany, KB6DOL,KAD6554

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 4, 2003
                        Yes Ed , You are right , Sorry for the Misunderstanding The FCC are very
                        Professional Dedicated Trained People and they do care , But they are so
                        understaffed and Now with Homeland Security really Backlogged , but they
                        have to put things in Priority in Problems with Communications Air ,
                        Marine , Public Safety Etc. And Everyone knows it is getting Worse with
                        all the Out of Band mods for almost every radio , Here is an Example of a
                        Letter sent to a Local Ham, I removed the Call and Name It took us about
                        Two Months of Recordings , Name etc . But Now He is off the Air. and I
                        Met FCC Riley Hollingsworth at the Ft.Wayne In Hamfest and He gave a Great
                        Speech about a lot of the Problems they encounter. Heck of a nice Person if
                        You are on the Good side .

                        Enjoy Communications Don KA9QJG

                        CERTIFIED MAILRETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED
                        Munster, IN 46321346
                        Subject: Warning Notice: Amateur Radio License:

                        Dear Mr.
                        The Commission has evidence that you have been deliberately and
                        maliciously interfering with the radio operations of other licensed
                        Amateurs on the WA9ORC repeater, 146.76 MHz. This interference has
                        occurred at various times in the last several months and includes
                        broadcasting and unidentified transmissions.
                        The Commission generally relies upon the Amateur Radio Service to be
                        self-policing. Operation of the type described above is contrary to the
                        basis and purpose of Amateur Radio and degrades the service for
                        legitimate users. This serves as a Warning Notice that such operation
                        will not be tolerated. Additional incidents of operation of the type
                        described above will result in a monetary fine being levied against you
                        and in revocation proceedings before an Administrative Law Judge.
                        You are requested to contact me at 717-338-2502 to discuss this
                        matter.

                        Sincerely,

                        W. Riley Hollingsworth
                        Special Counsel, Amateur Radio
                        Enforcement Bureau
                      • jose penafiel
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 5, 2003
                          Its funny it is also my first time posting, and I also
                          found myself on the same predicament. I decided to try
                          both the G-11s and the T7200s on a camp to the beach.

                          I was very well impressed with the T7200s not only
                          they have the versatily of cheaper radios like to
                          operate on AAs (alcalinews or rechargeables), but also
                          have features of more expensive radios like being
                          repeater capable (I am associated with a local
                          repeater and the T7200 work very well).

                          Although both are supposed to be 2 watt; I had a lot
                          better reach with the T7200 than with the g-11s
                          specially when talking car to car on the highway.

                          I decided to keep keep the T7200 for me and my wife
                          and gave the G-11s to my kids; cause although they do
                          not have the same reach they are still pretty sturdy,
                          and the sound is better than same priced frs radios.

                          Also If you look on ebay you can sometimes find the
                          T7200 for less than $100 a piece.

                          Jose
                          WPXI474

                          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • Ben
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 6, 2003
                            On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:24:18PM -0500, srefurd wrote: Do you need the
                            > tone selectability of the cheaper radios? If not you may want to think
                            > about something along the lines of a standard hx-240. these
                            > radios are small, relatively light, and have a optional battery pack for
                            > using AA cells (restricts you to 1.5 watts though) I have had a pair
                            > of these for years and they have proven to be excellent radios. You can
                            > buy them used on ebay for ~50 dollars sometimes and cost you less
                            > than 100 for the programming stuff if you catch it right.

                            Thanks, yes, I do need tone selectability, at least for the times when I
                            am with a group of people each with their own radios, when those
                            people are all able to arbitrarily choose a channel and CTCSS and I can't
                            do it without my computer, then it's not going to work out well.

                            That's why I was drawn to the three radios I mentioned.. the
                            Midlands (G-11 and 75-440) and the Motorola T7200... If I see a good deal
                            in the vertex/standard I might grab one though.

                            Jose, thanks you also for the great info.. I think on the basis of your
                            info I feel OK about both the G-11 and the T7200 as being
                            good choices (G-11 as a good performer in the bubble pack class, and T7200
                            being at least an honorary member of the "real" GMRS radio class.. or at
                            least, superior in performance to bubble packs).

                            I have decided that tempting as it is, the 75-440 is not the radio for
                            me right now.. It would probably work out ok, but I would have
                            to buy extra battery packs, and I would want a programming kit (to program
                            channels with deviation matching the lesser radios of my low
                            budget companions). It would push the cost too
                            high right now.. for a radio bigger and heavier than I really want right
                            now.

                            But maybe later I would get one, or another radio similar, for other
                            purposes.

                            I think that for this desert trip I am going on, the T7200 is the
                            best radio due to the flexibility it gives with the channels,
                            deviation, and ctcss all settable in the field, and the AA size batteries..
                            and the small size and weight.. it is a better radio to have
                            when you are in the field for multiple days and have to work
                            with other people with lots of different radios... I can get a pair for a
                            little under $200...

                            The G-11 seems like a really nice radio for the money and maybe
                            I'll get one for a spare. I see them going for as little as $25.

                            I really do see a hole in the market for a more "real" GMRS radio that has
                            the programmability and flexibility a person who owns just one or two
                            radios will need.. but with the pro quality of the business radios
                            that are usually used for GMRS. Maybe one day...

                            Thanks

                            Ben
                          • John H. Guetherman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 7, 2003
                              --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, Ben <benspam@c...> wrote:
                              > I really do see a hole in the market for a more "real" GMRS radio
                              that has the programmability and flexibility a person who owns just
                              one or two radios will need.. but with the pro quality of the
                              business radios that are usually used for GMRS. Maybe one day...

                              > Thanks
                              >
                              > Ben

                              I agree, and that's why I posted my wish list some time ago. The
                              programming flexibility of Amateur radios within the frequency band
                              authorized, and for the CTCSS/DCS capabilities, with the quality of
                              commercial-grade radios.

                              Just curious, would this desert trip be Burning Man? I believe
                              there's another person here who has attended several times now and
                              has experience with radios at the event. Perhaps you could hook up
                              with him here, and then in real life once on the Playa. It's
                              something I'd like to do once in my life, but don't know that it'll
                              happen anytime in the near future.

                              John H. Guetherman
                              KB7MIB/WPXJ598
                              Peoria, AZ.
                            • Ben
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 7, 2003
                                On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 01:36:51AM -0000, John H. Guetherman wrote:
                                > --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, Ben <benspam@c...> wrote:
                                > > I really do see a hole in the market for a more "real" GMRS radio
                                > that has the programmability and flexibility a person who owns just
                                > one or two radios will need.. but with the pro quality of the
                                > business radios that are usually used for GMRS. Maybe one day...
                                > >

                                > I agree, and that's why I posted my wish list some time ago. The
                                > programming flexibility of Amateur radios within the frequency band
                                > authorized, and for the CTCSS/DCS capabilities, with the quality of
                                > commercial-grade radios.
                                >
                                > Just curious, would this desert trip be Burning Man? I believe
                                > there's another person here who has attended several times now and
                                > has experience with radios at the event. Perhaps you could hook up
                                > with him here, and then in real life once on the Playa. It's
                                > something I'd like to do once in my life, but don't know that it'll
                                > happen anytime in the near future.

                                Yep, Burning Man. Anyone else?? I was putting it off for a while and
                                finally got myself out there last year. It really is a very cool event...
                                Re radios there, last year my GF and I had Talkabout 250 FRS's.. and
                                they were decent but didn't reach all the way across, which really amazed
                                me considering it's only about 1 1/2 miles. But they were better than not.
                                Someone told me that FRS is useless there because of so many people using
                                them, but we found it was not to bad. But the last couple of days
                                people come pouring in and that last day the radios were pretty useless.
                                This year I wanted to go all MURS.. I already have two vhf radios set
                                up for MURS.. but I couldn't get others
                                on the bandwagon, so this is why I'm now going GMRS shopping, so
                                that I can have good radios and still interoperate with the others
                                when necessary.

                                Anyway, if you want to go to Burning Man I suggest going ASAP as it is
                                already too big. I don't know how long it will stay as cool as it is...

                                -Ben
                              • striplingp
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 9, 2003
                                  --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, Ben <benspam@c...> wrote:
                                  > Yep, Burning Man. Anyone else?? I was putting it off for a while and
                                  > finally got myself out there last year. It really is a very cool
                                  event...
                                  > Re radios there, last year my GF and I had Talkabout 250 FRS's.. and
                                  > they were decent but didn't reach all the way across, which really
                                  amazed
                                  > me considering it's only about 1 1/2 miles. But they were better
                                  than not.
                                  > Someone told me that FRS is useless there because of so many people
                                  using
                                  > them, but we found it was not to bad. But the last couple of days
                                  > people come pouring in and that last day the radios were pretty useless.
                                  >SNIP<

                                  Hi, Ben,

                                  Louise and I have been going since '96. We found FRS to be useless
                                  because of all the traffic. We've taken GMRS radios for a couple of
                                  years and hear maybe a couple of other couples during the week we're
                                  there. We don't have MURS, so I can't comment on traffic on those
                                  frequencies. So far, GMRS is relatively traffic-free, so we'll do it
                                  again.

                                  I bought a couple of weather resistant foam cases from WestMarine.com
                                  for 10 or 15 dollars each -- dust storms really do a number on the
                                  radios, and we'll try to keep them cleaner. Our radios each had some
                                  problems with shunts -- not sure whether it was dust in the innards or
                                  just static electricity from the dryness and walking on the carpet.
                                  We've used the same bubble-pack Cobra 1000s for two years and will be
                                  taking them back again this year.

                                  It's getting late in the month, but drop by our Guide for 2d Timers
                                  Page at
                                  http://www.cieux.com/bm/2dTime.html
                                  and see what suggestions speak to you for doing it better this year.
                                  We'll be in Hushville this year; if you'd like to get together on the
                                  playa, drop me an email off-list.

                                  Phil