Re: FRS vs. GMRS

  • ryancalus
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 30, 2003
      --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Cobray380" <Cobray380@h...> wrote:

      >As for a license I got mine just so I could use a repeater. I think
      >without repeater access GMRS is the same as FRS and that why I think

      Of course there's always the possibility of using a simplex repeater.

      > Steve M
      > WPTQ775
    • mryan301
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 15, 2003
        There used to be another repeater near (< 3 mi) WDW last year, but
        the owner moved away - taking the repeater with him. It was a shame
        as that repeater kicked butt all over WDW. The REACT repeater can be
        hit from Disney with my 4 watt HT, but not across all the properties.
        Its just too far away to count on.

        As for WDW moving off of UHF to 800 trunk, this is partially true.
        There is a HUGE amount of trunked traffic there now, which can only
        be followed well using a Trunck-tracking scanner. I've tried
        monitoring with my 800 RX capable HAM rig and it is difficult to
        follow conversations due to the nature of trunking and how busy the
        network is.

        But there is still interesting traffic on UHF. I listen to these
        regularly when I visit with my commercial UHF rigs that I used for
        GMRS. Here are the highlights:

        442.0000 WDW HAM Radio Repeater
        461.6000 MK Operations
        484.3500 Epcot Operations
        464.8000 Epcot Operations
        463.7500 Epcot Operations
        464.4000 MK Operations
        469.3370 MK Street Vendors
        464.6250 MK Trouble Dispatch
        464.6000 Epcot Operations Simplex
        461.3000 MK Operations Simplex
        464.9370 Epcot Boats Simplex
        464.1250 Epcot Trouble Dispatch

        There is no UHF use that I can find at AK or MGM other than the
        occasional use of those low power headsets at shows and the like. All
        800 Mhz there.

        --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "dxxxxxbxx" <dxxxxxbxx@y...> wrote:
        > It sounds as though John is the local guy, so he probably has up to
        > date information, but for my 2 cents....
        >
        > I was at WDW about a year ago. I was using 462.575. It was
        > perfectly quiet the entire time I was there. We were with some
        > friends that had the "first generation" motorola FRS units (I think
        > they were model 50, but not sure). These units didn't have CTCSS
        and
        > were constantly busy on all channels.
        >
        > I didn't listen to other GMRS channels, so no anecdotes there.
        >
        > As John indicated, the Disney stuff has moved up to higher RF
        > ground. There was an extensive article about Disney communication
        in
        > Popular Communications several years ago, and I thought it was "too
        > bad" that Disney had snapped up licenses for all GMRS channels in
        > their area. Obviously they needed more channels and moved away,
        > leaving the frequencies for someone else, like John.
        >

        > --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "a049806t" <a049806t@y...> wrote:
        > > John,
        > >
        > > Would you catagorize this repeater as "HEAVILY USED" or too much
        > > traffic, not enough channels?
        > >
        > > And Disney is way, way, far away from downtown orlando, for most
        of
        > > you who don't live there it used to be called Lake Buena Vista,
        FL.
        > > (It may still be called that)
        > >
        > > Can you reach that downtown repeater with a 2 watt handheld or
        even
        > > 4 watt, as the other user was asking about?
        > >

        > > --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "John Knott" <jknott@o...> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > For Orlando, Florida, the PRSG's Repeater Guide shows a
        repeater
        > on
        > > > 550 (KAA8212 admin ops, paging, and Entertainment Dept.), 575
        > > > (KAA8208 monorail ops), 625 (KAA8101 transportation and parking
        > ops,
        > > > and Ft. Wilderness), and 650 (KAA8104 maintenance, and Magic
        > Kingdom
        > > > ops). This was as of 1997, information may have changed since
        > then.
        > > >
        > > > All Walt Disney traffic has moved to either a 800 mhz or 900
        mhz
        > > system.
        > > >

        > > > There was also a 675 (141.3 PL) repeater shown as being
        available
        > > for
        > > > general public use. You must first contact John T. Knott,
        KAF6930