Re: Using commercial radios on GMRS

  • John H. Guetherman
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 1, 2002
      I'm not looking for field programmability of radio frequencies. That
      can be done by the manufacturer at the time of manufacture, or by a
      dealer at the time of the sale.

      Once the frequencies have been programmed into the radio by
      whomever/however, what I want is front panel keypad, and/or
      microphone keypad programmability of CTCSS, DCS, and DTMF encode and
      decode, with the ability to set independant CTCSS encode and decode,
      and preferably to be able to use two or more (CTCSS and/or DCS and/or
      DTMF) simultaneously; the ability to switch through transmitter power
      output levels (5-10-20-40 watts on the 8 main channels, and 2 watts
      only on the 7 interstitals in a mobile; 0.5-2-4 watts on the 8 main
      channels, and 0.5-2 watts on the 7 interstitals in a handheld); one-
      button CSQ monitoring (typically standard at least on mobiles); one-
      button monitoring of the 467 MHz repeater input frequency; and one-
      button repeater/talkaround function (typically standard capability).
      There should also be various channel/tone/code scan functions, of
      course.

      Naturally, an LCD screen would be of great help in setting the
      proper tones/codes.

      I'd like the same features in MURS handheld and mobile radios, sans
      repeater capability, and within the technical limits of the service,
      of course.

      I'm just dreaming out loud, here. And I'm not willing to risk my Ham
      license, any other future radio service license, my privilege to use
      license-by-rule radios, or my general reputation, by modding a Ham
      radio which could satisfy my wishlist.

      John H. Guetherman
      KB7MIB/KAZ7FA/KBKF9922/SSB-83T/KAE7927 (expired)
      Peoria, AZ.
    • A10382
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 2, 2002
        Sometime you have to think through the reasoning for the reg.

        It sounds like the FCC ( the Federal Confusion Commission -- we really do
        need to have a contest for a new three word acronym!) intended that the user
        not be able to retune the radio -- keeping it on the assigned/licensed
        frequency. 'Crystal' as opposed to a variable oscillator.

        The FCC has never been too good at writing 'how to' regs. Technology always
        seams to 'defeat' their intent. It's better they stick to writing regs that
        define the desired result (i.e.; "User must not be able to easily change the
        transmit frequency") as opposed to ones that try to define the technology to
        be used in achieving the results. relatively inexpensive frequency agile
        radios were a 'defeat' of a lot of control that the FCC imposed years ago.
        Additionally, they now have literally reams of regs ( some probably
        technically obsolete) that would take decades to rewrite, review, and put
        into play.

        73
        Frank

        ._._.