RE: [GMRS] Re: OK, I'm in! --- was Should I bother?

  • Alan Dixon
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
      Well said, Clint! Good advice, and valid points, every one. Thanks for
      all you do to help newcomers to the Personal Communications Services.
      Cheers, Alan Dixon
      N3HOE / WPUC720

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2002
        Josh,

        I do know the guy who wrote the article in question. And if you had
        bothered to actually read the article upon which you comment*, you would
        know that I specifically promoted Popular Wireless GMRS Web E-'Zine and
        it's editor Doug Smith, KAF9830 as one of those credible sources of
        information.

        The fact is that a noticeable amount of misinformation remains extant on
        e-mail lists and Web forums. Some folks will simply relate their
        impressions, assumptions, and concepts as fact, and swear until the cows
        come home that they are the expert on the subject at hand. I want to
        point people to the more reliable and credible sources of information,
        for which I might add, time is the test. I have no interest in any of
        the sources cited in my article, nor had I claimed any level of expertise
        on my own part.

        I don't get paid to sell magazines. I am paid for my work by the page,
        not on a percentage of the gross. I am retired from my career as a
        senior wireless telecommunications systems engineer, so frankly, I really
        don't need the money anyway. Go to your public library or go to Barnes &
        Noble, pull up a chair and read Pop'Comm for free. It's all the same to
        me. Just do read it, please!

        Kind regards,

        Alan Dixon
        N3HOE / WPUC720
        Contributing Editor
        POPULAR COMMUNICATIONS
        n3hoe@...

        *Dixon, "Homeland Security," Popular Communications, Aug., 2002: 16-20

        >In last month's (08/2002) issue of Popular Communications magazine:
        >
        >"Don't put too much credibility in the many GMRS email and Web
        >discussion lists and forums ... I have witnessed a significant amount
        >of blatant misinformation given by some who would have you think that
        >they know it all, particularly in the area of FCC rules ...
        >
        >"Instead, go to your more knowledgeable sources of GMRS information on
        >the Internet ... There are several good sources of information on
        >GMRS, coming from a handful of notable, knowledgeable people within
        >the GMRS community. These folks really know what they are talking
        >about ..."
        >
        >Cited are my Web site at http://www.gmrs-info.com - along with a
        >handful of other reliable sources of credible information.

        Of course your web page was cited. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have
        mentioned
        a damn thing about internet 'mis-information'. It clearly puts a bad name
        this discussion group and www.popularwireless.com. I have been to your
        web
        page, and yes, I have gotten some great information from it, especially
        when
        I filed for my GMRS license, however, it was basically my only
        information
        source, too.

        I don't give a crap about rules and such, however, when it comes to
        equipment and reliable communication systems, sometimes these online
        discussion groups and Bulletin Boards are the best sources anywhere.

        I don't know who the guy who wrote that article is, but it would seem
        that
        the purpose of it was more or less to get people to buy more Popular
        communications magazines for information rather than not spending money
        on a
        magazine or subscription.

        -Josh

        ..

      • Kevin Avery
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2002
          Thanks to everyone for the responses, I really appreciate the time and
          effort
          that you all have put into writing to me here.

          I have been in contact with the president of the local react chapter
          and he
          informed me that there are no repeaters available in the St. Louis
          area. He said
          that there used to be one that was owned by a county agency but it was
          recently
          removed. Bad news for me. I have more research to do.

          Thanks again,
          take care,
          Kevin Avery