re: callsigns

  • Jim Frey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4 8:12 AM
      Still done that way.   There are some historical exceptions, but
      generally, for broadcast stations East of Mississippi gets W, West
      gets K.

      ---i.e. the great KYW in philly, pa

      --
      Jim Frey, EMT
      KA3VDV

    • kvsp1160@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27 5:49 PM
        Frank,

        I wouldn't necessarily modify the callsign, but you can do something like
        this:

        "This is WPAA123, Handheld 1 calling handheld 2. Are you there? (do you
        copy)"

        OR

        "This is WPAA123, Handheld 1 calling mobile 1. Are you there? (do you copy)"

        There are many different ways of using your radios within your family with
        one callsign. Make up names or handles (mobile 1, mobile 2, base 1, 1526, 1527,
        etc). In a CB organization that I managed, we used created callsigns:
        KPBZ2117, KPBZ2125, KPBZ2197, KPBZ2192, etc. We had over a dozen members with just
        those call letters, and they almost were identical to the original CB callsigns
        that the FCC used to assign to people.

        GMRS uses only two configurations for callsigns:

        3 letters by 4 numbers: KAA1234 (3x4)
        4 letters by 3 numbers: WPAA123 (4x3)

        So if you use a different configuration that doesn't resemble GMRS callsigns,
        then go fo it. But always remember to use your given FCC-issued GMRS callsign
        to sign on and sign off of the air. Most forget and get in trouble for that.

        73,
        Ryan
        WPUI299
        San Jose, CA