Re: RadioShack 19-903

  • eebie38
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 9:54 PM
      --- In GMRS@y..., Nick <papaw_42431@y...> wrote:

      > Power doesn't really affect range on UHF frequencies it helps to a
      degree. I have two watt units and also Icom Ic-f21 4 watt repeater
      capable radios and two radioshack 19-903 5 watt radios. If i was you
      I would look for rugged radios. invest a little more money for the
      better radio. KY has repeaters but not many open repeaters there is
      one near where I live. i live in Madisonville KY there is a repeater
      in greenville or over in thatr area. Take a look at the Icom IC-F21
      GMRS radios I have 6 of them they are nice rugged radios. They havce
      4 watts and repeater capable. They also have channel selector knob
      instead of a display. i hate LCD displays because they don't look as
      tough.
      > Nick
      > minlas <minlas@y...> wrote: I read over the one thread I could
      find on this radio. After using it
      > for awhile does anyone have any more input on it? Does the 5 watts
      > really help with handhelds? I have dealt with 1-2 watt handhelds
      and
      > lookign for a nicer unit. I am currently considering the Motorola
      > 7200,TA distance, and Kenwoods XLS besides this model.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      Power is EVERYTHING on UHF, along with antenna height. Power+Antenna
      height=distance.
    • A10382
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2 12:47 PM
        Absolutely correct on UHF power.....

        Extra power on lower frequencies (150mHz and lower) helps much more than on
        higher ones. I took the radio manufacturers quite a while to get this
        thought through to the municipal and public safety buyers 25 years ago.

        Extra power on UHF is of help for in-building coverage - particularly
        between floors in concrete buildings. In a lot of cases, the ability to go
        between floors is derived from the signal going out a window and reflecting
        off a nearby structure. This is especially true in buildings with the
        concrete floors that are poured over metal plates.

        73
        Frank

        ._._.
        > > Power doesn't really affect range on UHF frequencies it helps to a
        > degree. I have two watt units and also Icom Ic-f21 4 watt repeater
        > capable radios and two radioshack 19-903 5 watt radios. If i was you
        > I would look for rugged radios. invest a little more money for the
        > better radio. KY has repeaters but not many open repeaters there is
        > one near where I live. i live in Madisonville KY there is a repeater
        > in greenville or over in thatr area. Take a look at the Icom IC-F21
        > GMRS radios I have 6 of them they are nice rugged radios. They havce
        > 4 watts and repeater capable. They also have channel selector knob
        > instead of a display. i hate LCD displays because they don't look as
        > tough.
        > > Nick
        > > minlas <minlas@y...> wrote: I read over the one thread I could
        > find on this radio. After using it
        > > for awhile does anyone have any more input on it? Does the 5 watts
        > > really help with handhelds? I have dealt with 1-2 watt handhelds
        > and
        > > lookign for a nicer unit. I am currently considering the Motorola
        > > 7200,TA distance, and Kenwoods XLS besides this model.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > Service.

        > Power is EVERYTHING on UHF, along with antenna height. Power+Antenna
        > height=distance.

      • Nick
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2 8:05 PM
          I just got my Icom UHF 45 watt mobiles I ordered yesterday with a regular mobile mount antenna and I got about 7 miles with it. I have found the power doesn't affect range on the UHF band the antenna height does. POwer helps but not much. Thats why VHF is used over wide ranges because the more power on vhf the better the range. its the antenna height for uhf. But if you have a tall antenna and a powerful transmitter then you would have great range. You are correct on the height=distance.