Re: Info

  • Ray J. Vaughan
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 13, 2000
      To be honest, I have no idea. My system isn't that old, but it predates all the recent changes. From what people are saying, it seems almost like a free for all. File your site data, then change channels daily if you want. At least that's the impression I'm getting.

      It might make sense to file it as a 'system' and do both sites on one form. But if they aren't interconnected, is it a system? Are you in the GMRS mailing list at onelist? Might be the start of an excellent thread.

      At 04:14 PM 2/12/00 -0800, you wrote:
      >Hi Ray. My name is Bernie (N1IMO) I am just about to file for a GMRS
      >license and had a couple of questions, I have tried to find the answers
      >at some of the web sites with no luck so I thought I would e-mail you.
      >
      ># 1 I had a GMRS license about 10 years ago, at that time it was
      >licensed as a FB4. Is it possible to still obtain a FB4 license ?? And
      >if so do you use the 605 form or do you have to use the 600 form ??
      >
      ># 2 As we are located right on the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border I
      >would like to put one machine up in Mass and another one in Central NH,
      >how do I go about doing that.
      >
      >Looking over the 605 form I don't see anyplace for listing your
      >frequency's that one would like, am I to take that when you get a license
      >its good for all GMRS channels, and if so how does that effect the FB4
      >request.
      >
      >Thanks
      >
      >Bernie (N1IMO)
      >Beltronics,Inc.
      >PO Box 330 19 Proctor Hill Rd.
      >Hollis, NH 03049-0330
      >603-465-2422 800-323-5876 Fax: 603-465-3320
      >http://www.beltronics.net http://www.qsl.net/n1imo

      Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
      KD4BBM PG-7-15266
      http://www.rayvaughan.com/
      ray@...
      ray@...
    • Bernie Peabody
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 13, 2000
        Hello list. I have e-mailed Ray with some questions (THANKS RAY) and he
        thought it might be a good thread discussion.
        I beleive I already found the answer Ray, but lets give it a try.

        I know a guy that has had a GMRS license for several years, he obtained
        it as a FB4 which is a Community Repeater. Can you still get FB4 licenses
        or is just one license that you use the form 605 for. It appears that
        you don't have to give any info on repeater location, Long/Lat etc. Is
        this correct under the new rules ???

        I have been a member of this list for sometime and see little activity,
        so like Ray said, lets give the list some use.

        Thanks in advance.

        Bernie (N1IMO)
        N1IMO-N1IMN Repeater System
        PO Box 991
        Hollis, NH 03049-0991

        http://www.qsl.net/n1imo
        http://www.beltronics.net
      • Jim.Myers
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 13, 2000
          Bernie, there have been a considerable amount of changes to the GMRS rules
          lately, most of them coming in 1999. You do not license to a specific frequency
          anymore but are authorized on all GMRS channels. Hence, you do not need to
          specify frequencies, long/lat, system type, or any of the other multitude of
          items the old license application had. The new process is quite simple. I know
          as I just recently went through it after putting it off for over a year because
          of the various info which used to be required as well as trying to decide on
          which two frequencies to license.

          Now, just fill out Form 605, the application itself (and it is quite simple);
          Form 606, the TIN Taypayer Identification Number form; and Form 159, the form
          which accompanies your payment (and the check, of course). You can use the
          FCC's online web site to access the Universal Licensing System (ULS) and fill
          out your TIN information there. Then you do not need to send Form 606. I did
          this first before sending in the Form 605 and 159.

          I mailed my application on 1/31 and the license was issued and in the ULS
          database on 2/9. How's that for efficiency? Never before saw a government
          agency work that fast. I know I'll wait awhile for the paper license but I now
          know my call sign and can start using it.

          Before doing anything, visit http://www.clintbradford.com where you'll find a
          copy of the new rules and the licensing process. Included are copies of all
          three forms as well as examples already filled out. Should help you prepare
          yours and then mail them off to the FCC. This site was a great help to me.
          Nothing could be simpler.

          Good luck with your application.

          Jim

        • KC2EDY@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
            Hi Gang,
            I have been a member of this list for a little while. I've also noticed that
            there was little activity. I would like to get a GMRS license. I've read the
            rules and downloaded the forms to my PC to look over.
            My question is:
            Does anybody have any suggestions regarding what is a good radio to buy?
            Brand name, guestamit cost, etc..
            Thanks,
            KC2EDY/paul
          • Mark Forbes
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
              Are you looking for portables or mobiles?

              I've bought several on eBay. I have three Motorola P1225 portables that I
              bought for about $270 each. Very nice radios. I also bought an M1225 mobile
              for about $400.

              Mark KC9C, KAG0969

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                Thanks,
                I'll look those two models up on the net. Prices are within my range of
                thought.
                KC2EDY
              • Crestreact89@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                  Paul: I have Maxtrac, M1225 but GM 300 could be you best bet because it
                  will go down to 440 can be dual purpose for Ham..

                  Rob
                • Pollywog
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                    On 14-Feb-2000 Crestreact89@... wrote:
                    > From: Crestreact89@...
                    >
                    > Paul: I have Maxtrac, M1225 but GM 300 could be you best bet because it
                    > will go down to 440 can be dual purpose for Ham..

                    Are radios legal for GMRS when they can also be used in other services?
                    I thought they could not get type acceptance if the user can reprogram them
                    from the keyboard; without having to go inside the radio.

                    --
                    Andrew
                  • KC2EDY@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                      Thanks Rob,
                      I have an Icom W32A that can be modified to work in the GMRS range also.
                      I''ll lookup the GM 300 and see what it looks like. I saw the P1225 on the
                      web. I've still got to check out the M1225 too.
                      paul
                    • Crestreact89@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                        Andrew: A GM 300 commercial radio is type accepted for GMRS service..and can
                        be used on Ham...but a Ham radio is not accepted for GMRS service..

                        Rob
                      • Mark Forbes
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                          Two things here: First, referencing an earlier post, Type Accepted equipment
                          for GMRS is certainly legal on Ham bands.

                          However, the reverse (as you propose here with your W32A) is NOT true. You
                          must use Type Accepted equipment to be legal on GMRS, and ham gear is not
                          Type Accepted.

                          Mark

                          I have an Icom W32A that can be modified to work in the GMRS range also.
                          I''ll lookup the GM 300 and see what it looks like. I saw the P1225 on the
                          web. I've still got to check out the M1225 too.
                          paul

                          GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
                          Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.

                        • Dick Bomboy
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                            And when you move or add ham freq to a GMRS TA radio the TA is void......

                            At 11:53 AM 2/14/00 -0800, you wrote:
                            >From: "Mark Forbes" <m4bz@...>
                            >
                            >Two things here: First, referencing an earlier post, Type Accepted equipment
                            >for GMRS is certainly legal on Ham bands.
                            >
                            >However, the reverse (as you propose here with your W32A) is NOT true. You
                            >must use Type Accepted equipment to be legal on GMRS, and ham gear is not
                            >Type Accepted.
                            >
                            >Mark

                            Dick aka WA3USH

                            http://www.erie.net/~rlee/
                          • Pollywog
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                              On 15-Feb-2000 Dick Bomboy wrote:
                              > From: Dick Bomboy <rlee@...>
                              >
                              > And when you move or add ham freq to a GMRS TA radio the TA is void......

                              This is my understanding too. In fact, if the frequencies can be programmed
                              from the keypad, the TA will not be issued to the radio, unless only GMRS
                              frequencies can be programmed into the radio.

                              --
                              Andrew
                            • Dick Bomboy
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                                Thats my understanding as well

                                At 02:59 AM 2/15/00 +0000, you wrote:
                                >From: Pollywog <pollywog@...>
                                >

                                >On 15-Feb-2000 Dick Bomboy wrote:
                                > > From: Dick Bomboy <rlee@...>
                                > >
                                > > And when you move or add ham freq to a GMRS TA radio the TA is void......
                                >
                                >This is my understanding too. In fact, if the frequencies can be programmed
                                >from the keypad, the TA will not be issued to the radio, unless only GMRS
                                >frequencies can be programmed into the radio.
                                >
                                >--
                                >Andrew
                                >
                                >----------
                                >
                                >Please click above to support our sponsor
                                >
                                >----------

                                Dick aka WA3USH

                                http://www.erie.net/~rlee/
                              • Mark Forbes
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                                  If you have to modify the circuitry to accommodate 440-450, then the TA
                                  would be void. However, many commercial radios will cover that far down and,
                                  I believe, that simply programming one (or having one programmed) for a ham
                                  channel would not have any effect on the TA. For example, I think the
                                  Motorola HT1000 is in this class.

                                  Similarly, a crystal controlled radio, such as the Motorola Radius P50, can
                                  be channeled for a ham frequency by a licensed shop without voiding the TA.

                                  I was, unfortunately, disappointed that the Radius P1225s won't cover the
                                  ham bands.

                                  Mark
                                  KC9C/KAG0969

                                  > > And when you move or add ham freq to a GMRS TA radio the TA is
                                  void......

                                  >This is my understanding too. In fact, if the frequencies can be
                                  programmed
                                  >from the keypad, the TA will not be issued to the radio, unless only GMRS
                                  >frequencies can be programmed into the radio.
                                  >
                                  >--
                                  >Andrew
                                  >
                                  >----------
                                  >
                                  >Please click above to support our sponsor
                                  >
                                  >----------

                                  Dick aka WA3USH

                                  http://www.erie.net/~rlee/

                                  Shabang.com is the place to get your FREE eStore, Absolutely FREE
                                  Forever. If you have any desires to sell your products or services
                                  online, or you want to expand your customer base for FREE, Come check
                                  out Shabang.com FREE eStores.

                                • Ray J. Vaughan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                                    At 08:44 PM 2/14/00 -0800, you wrote:
                                    >From: "Mark Forbes" <m4bz@...>
                                    >
                                    >If you have to modify the circuitry to accommodate 440-450, then the TA
                                    >would be void. However, many commercial radios will cover that far down and,
                                    >I believe, that simply programming one (or having one programmed) for a ham
                                    >channel would not have any effect on the TA. For example, I think the
                                    >Motorola HT1000 is in this class.

                                    I've always wondered if a radio Type Accepted in one service, that transmits in another, is still type accepted. Say I have my MT1000, perfectly fine in Part 90 and 95. I add 446.000. It now transmits out of band for Part 90 and Part 95. Is it still type accepted since it now performs out of band emissions? Or, to even get more picky... What if the Radio is type accepted for Part 95 (GMRS) and it can also transmit in Part 90 channels. Then what?

                                    Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
                                    KD4BBM PG-7-15266
                                    http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                                    ray@...
                                    ray@...
                                  • Dick Bomboy
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                                      They are only TA at the specs the TA is issued for, what yer asking is
                                      if a license to drive a car also allows you to drive a semi or pilot a plane
                                      after all they are all just operators licenses..................

                                      And Ray you all ready know that answer <//;-)))

                                      11:51 PM 2/14/00 -0500, you wrote:
                                      >From: "Ray J. Vaughan" <ray@...>
                                      >
                                      >At 08:44 PM 2/14/00 -0800, you wrote:
                                      > >From: "Mark Forbes" <m4bz@...>
                                      > >
                                      > >If you have to modify the circuitry to accommodate 440-450, then the TA
                                      > >would be void. However, many commercial radios will cover that far down and,
                                      > >I believe, that simply programming one (or having one programmed) for a ham
                                      > >channel would not have any effect on the TA. For example, I think the
                                      > >Motorola HT1000 is in this class.
                                      >
                                      >I've always wondered if a radio Type Accepted in one service, that
                                      >transmits in another, is still type accepted. Say I have my MT1000,
                                      >perfectly fine in Part 90 and 95. I add 446.000. It now transmits out
                                      >of band for Part 90 and Part 95. Is it still type accepted since it now
                                      >performs out of band emissions? Or, to even get more picky... What if
                                      >the Radio is type accepted for Part 95 (GMRS) and it can also transmit in
                                      >Part 90 channels. Then what?
                                      >
                                      > Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE, CERT
                                      > KD4BBM PG-7-15266
                                      > <http://www.rayvaughan.com/>http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                                      > ray@...
                                      > ray@...
                                      >
                                      >----------
                                      >
                                      >Please click above to support our sponsor
                                      >
                                      >----------

                                      Dick aka WA3USH

                                      http://www.erie.net/~rlee/
                                    • Mark Forbes
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                                        Good questions...although I see the specs on many radios read "440-472". I
                                        am ASSUMING the TA covers that spec (maybe not), but if so, programming in
                                        446.00 is consistent, especially since you don't have to be TA for ham
                                        bands. The TA covers the radio, not the operating frequency.

                                        Good discussion, albeit esoteric for some readers I imagine.

                                        Mark

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 14, 2000
                                          Sorta, a TA is issued based on what the manf says a device will do under
                                          certain conditions.
                                          If one of those parms is freq stability, or, lets say harmonic suppression,
                                          then those are stated based on a
                                          rather narrow set of ranges not broadband. A radio with a particular set of
                                          electronic "parts" may
                                          exhibit a 3rd order harmonic 32db down from the prime carrier (lets assume
                                          here the FCC law
                                          said it HAD to be at least 28db down) of 450-460 MHz. Move just the freq 10
                                          megs and perhaps
                                          the 3rd order in now only 22db down because the components were designed
                                          for 450-460, did the
                                          radio go to new freq?? sure did, does it 'play' there?? sure do, BUT is it
                                          now "in compliance" ???
                                          Nope. ie, TA gonezo

                                          but perhaps f+9
                                          At 09:11 PM 2/14/00 -0800, you wrote:
                                          >From: "Mark Forbes" <m4bz@...>
                                          >
                                          >Good questions...although I see the specs on many radios read "440-472". I
                                          >am ASSUMING the TA covers that spec (maybe not), but if so, programming in
                                          >446.00 is consistent, especially since you don't have to be TA for ham
                                          >bands. The TA covers the radio, not the operating frequency.
                                          >
                                          >Good discussion, albeit esoteric for some readers I imagine.
                                          >
                                          >Mark

                                          Dick aka WA3USH

                                          http://www.erie.net/~rlee/
                                        • KC2EDY@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 15, 2000
                                            Thanks Mark. I have no intentions of violating the law or defacing my W32A. I
                                            got my ham license a year and a half ago, and I don't want to loose it for
                                            any reason. It took me 30 years to decide to go for it.
                                            I had just heard about the mods and what frequencies they had covered.
                                            With your post, it may have enlightened many others who may have had a
                                            question regarding FCC compliance.
                                            KC2EDY/paul