Would you buy a GMRS mobile like this?

  • John Henry
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
      Hello all,

      As you may or may not know, Australia has a UHF CB radio service. 40 channels in the 476-477MHz band, 8 channel pairs of which can be used for simplex or repeaters. ('s 1-8 are simplex or repeater outputs and ch's 31-38 are repeater inputs. The rest of the channels are simplex only.)

      Anyway. I ran across a UHF CB manufactured by Uniden, model # UH 015SX. It has the 40 UHF CB channels, as well as 40 (or 60, I've seen conflicting info) recieve-only channels that can be programmed to any frequency between 400-512MHz. It is a dual-band radio in that it can scan both the UHF CB side and the UHF scanner side at the same time. It has 38 CTCSS, 104 DCS, and optional SELCALL as well. It's even got a remote head capability! Sells for $400-something Australian.

      I don't see why the firmware couldn't be reprogrammed for the GMRS here in the U.S. Give it 15 channels for the GMRS. The first 7 could be the interstital channels the GMRS shares with the FRS, and channels 8-15 could be the the 8 main channels from 550 to 725, with a single button press to switch between simplex and repeater operation. Give it 50 CTCSS tones and 104 DCS codes, all front panel and/or microphone programmable on-the-fly by the user. Give it MDC-1200 and maybe BIIS-1200 capability as well. And a seperate simultaneous reciever section for 400-512 or at least 450-512MHz reception with a few dozen channels, and maybe even UHF trunking capability for both LTR and Motorola systems like you'd find in any trunking scanner. And the remote head capability!

      How many of you would buy a mobile and/or a companion handheld radio like this? I would love to have one, myself. (Granted, right now I don't have the funds, but still...)

      What do you think?

      John
      KB7MIB/WPXJ598
    • GaryErrol@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
        Given it wouldn't be legal to use here in the USA, no FCC certification. No I would not purchase one.

[...]

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
      • Sarge 43
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
          not me. probably not type accepted by FCC. Check it out though.
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
            *MY* main concern would be if this rig is type accepted for use in the US.

            Don't forget, John, that although we can modify just about anything for use
            in Part 97, Part 95 is completely different. For example, you legally can't
            use your "opened up" ham rig to work the GMRS machine, but you can use the
            radio that was type accepted for GMRS on the ham bands. (One has to wonder
            though if, after doing that mod, can it still be used for GMRS???)

            Now I'm not saying the radio police will be waiting with baited breath for
            you to use a non-type accepted radio on GMRS, but should anything else occur
            that calls attention to your operations, it may become an issue.

            Now, for a ham rig, this sounds nifty!!

            Mark - WQIV271 / N9WYS

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
              WOW sounds great! But getting it type accepted in Part 95 is going to be the deal breaker. The FRS/GMRS shared channels are limited to 5 watts ERP in the GMRS service so it would have to be locked down to something low enough so that a mobile antenna with gain would not exceed 5 watts ERP. Why bother. Just make it a GMRS mobile all the way so the power would not be a worry all the way to 50 watts TPO with antenna gain not a problem.

              Stan WQFD736

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
                I thought about the design and build of a desktop base GMRS transceiver.

                You could have say.. 999 DCS/DPL tones and all of the standard CTCSS/TPL tones.

                Use a standard 4 or 8 pin Microphone plug like from a amateur radio or CB.

                Give it the full 50W output.  Or switched High or Low Power settings.

                Give it a full DSP output

                Alpha tagging so you can input the repeater ID from the front panel 10 key.

                Full scanning capability.

                Programming of 99 (or more) different repeaters.. maybe in seperate zones.  I
                don't know what US area would have more!

                Use a BNC, PL259/SO239 combo or UHF N connector for the antenna.. maybe 2
                antenna jacks.

                Fully swappable Power supply in case of hard failure. Fully fused and filtered.
                No wall wart bricks.  Maybe install a 3 pin chassis jack for 13.8v DC similar to
                ones used on CB's and some other mobile radios.

                Backlit QVGA or GLCD 128x64 display with integrated S meter with display in
                dB/m.

                Full DTMF microphone capability..

                I would like at least 32 channels.. some may be receive only.

                Just my ideas!
                Greg

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
                  Yes I would and have, they are FCC approved

                  Sent from my iPad
                  Ray Kalbfeld
                  Office: 305-848-1371

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
                    What is the FCC I'd number?

                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
                  • Don Stiver
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
                      I am not sure but all Motorola Spectra's are Type Accepted by the FCC. Google Motorola Spectra UHF

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
                        The FCC label will show the number to look up to see if it is certified (type accepted) and for what band or service it is approved for.
                        No label; probably no acceptance.

                        Ed

                      • John Henry
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
                          You guys missed my point.

                          You are correct in that this Uniden radio, as is, is not type accepted by the FCC for sale here in the US. However, my point was, if Uniden could be convinced to reprogram the firmware so the radio operated in the GMRS, and got it type accepted for sae in the US, would you be interested. I did specifically say, I don't see why the firmware couldn't be reprogrammed.

                          John
                          KB7MIB/WPXJ598

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
                            No, I still wouldn't. I don't see a need for a GMRS purpose built mobile. There are plenty of type accepted low cost commercial radios that can be found on places like eBay that work perfectly.