Re: Pryme PR 460 repair

  • ksoohoojr
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 13, 2011
      This is an old thread, and I'm not sure if I should be adding to it or starting a whole new thread.

      I had 6 Pryme PR-460 radios with a problem of getting stuck in transmit mode as soon as you turn them on. I refer to this problem as the "TX blocking problem." Apparently, others have had the same problem with their Pryme PR-460 radios, and nobody has been able to find a solution. When I started this thread, I had already contacted the manufacturer (Chieftek in Taiwan) who gave me some schematics and advice on which components I might test/repair. My Dad and I made a few attempts, but it became clear that this was going to take more technical know-how and, most of all, more time which I didn't have. Two new babies eat a lot of my time these days.

      I travelled to Taiwan on holiday in February 2011 and emailed the manufacturer. Long story short, I was able to get all 6 radios repaired by Chieftek in Taiwan during my stay. It only took them a few days. They sent me a PDF of the capacitors responsible for the the TX blocking problem which I have uploaded to the FILES site of this Yahoo! Group under the name "Pryme PR-460 Repair.pdf." The damaged capacitors and subsequent replacement capacitors were:

      Damaged: CP15 ECC476M4-4X6(E/C Capacitors)
      Damaged: CP24 ECC476M4-4X6(E/C Capacitors)
      Damaged: CP39 ECC476M6.3-5X6(E/C Capacitors)
      Repair: Replace the above three capacitors with TNC476M10-B-G17(Tantalum capacitors) 47Uf / 10V –B CASE

      The radios have been working flawlessly since the repair. Furthermore, I was able to buy a brand new Pryme PRO-4 Handy Programmer from Chieftek, which works great! I was pleasantly surprised that the manufacturer was so helpful in repairing some 10-year-old radios.

      If you have any questions about this repair, feel free to contact me.

      - Kent

    • GaryErrol@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 14, 2011
        On a side note, does anyone have a source for batteries for these?

> [...]

        > > a check by your side.
        > > > **
        > > > ** Any more questions, just fell free to contact us.
        > > > **
        > > >
        > > > Q2 = SMT TR. DTC114TU ROHM
        > > > Q7 = SMT TR. DTC144EU ROHM
        > > > Q8 = SMT TR. DTC144EU ROHM
        > > >
        > > > My current plan of action is to figure out how to disassemble the
        > > PR-460 to gain access to
        > > > the CPU PC board (see pg. 9 of the Data Sheet, lower left-hand
        > > corner). My theory is that
        > > > it's unlikely the actual components (Q2, Q7, and/or Q8) have
        > > actually failed because the
        > > > problem manifests on all eight radios. It seems more likely to me
        > > that one of these
        > > > components has a cold solder somewhere on the board, i.e. a
        > > manufacturing defect. I
        > > > can't rule out component failure, but I will investigate after

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
      • gmrs@pub.soohoo.org
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 16, 2011
          For years, I have been thinking about trying NiCd Lady to rebuild some
          of my PR-460 batteries, but I never pulled the trigger. Does anybody
          have any experience with NiCd Lady? I'm wondering what kind of NiMh
          cells they use? Sanyo Eneloops? They charge $37-$44.

          http://www.nicdladyonline.com/rebuilding/adi_pryme.html

          A couple of years ago I contacted PrimeCell which quoted $29 to rebuild
          and upgrade with new 2,300 mAh cells
          http://primecell.com/

          Batteries America makes the CNB-410 battery ($43) that is compatible the
          Pryme PR-222, PR-52, PR-460.
          http://www.batteriesamerica.com/pryme1.htm

          R&L still lists the Pryme RBP-22H on their website for $42.
          http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=RBP22H

          I would love to hear if anybody has had their batteries rebuilt with new
          cells. How do they work?

        • Joe Leikhim
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 17, 2011
            I have had good luck with Primecell rebuilds of the Motorola Saber
            battery packs. The new cells have a lot of power and recharge easily. My
            only complaint is that on last rebuild they did not do such a neat job
            opening and closing the battery case. I use the small NTN4592C
            batteries which are rare to find. I will probably open the next one
            myself with a dremel before mailing it to them.

            --
            Joe Leikhim

            Leikhim and Associates
            Communications Consultants