Re: [GMRS] Tones, et cetera.

  • Facility 406 DM09
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010
      Yep. Just like those. I use them for controlling transmitter/receivers and
      occasionally recorders at remote sites. Odd that the CBers were cool enough
      to pick up on it and the Hams remained "Amateurs". Those crazy Chicken
      Banders with their "roger-beeps"... Not as bad as hearing Q-Codes and
      "over" or "roger-roger" in the voice segements of the Ham bands. QSL? Over!
      (Hi-hi...)

      Speaking of tones, I've been hearing a lot of EDACS and ANI in the Ham bands
      for repeater control and ID, not so much the RTTY or AX.25 EOT bursts
      anymore.

      Kurt

      "You mean like commonly heard during Apollo program (was very useful since
      without the beep you cannot really tell when the other party unkeyed). When
      Houston does comm checks with Shuttle on UHF, you can hear the beeps.
      Speaking of such, I have in my junque pile a QST magazine from the late 60s
      that has a schematic for hams to build "a NASA beep" for your SSB rig.
      Another issue (unless it is the same magazine) has a article on the
      communications network system used on Apollo 8 (with a 246 MHz freq and
      others including telemetry)."
    • wpxa902
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2010
        Isn't EDACS a Trunking system?

        Hadn't really heard of any ham trunked systems. But I guess that'd be kind of cool.

        John Marcel

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2010
          : Isn't EDACS a Trunking system?

          Yes. It threw me when I heard it.

          : Hadn't really heard of any ham trunked systems. But I guess that'd be kind
          of cool.

          From what I've heard, hams started playing with it in the mid-90's. I've
          only heard it on the air occasioanlly, most recently on a fairly elaborate
          linked repeater system.

          Kurt