Boca Raton FL

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
      Anyone near Boca Raton FL that can listen for some possible
      illegal operation?

      The repeater operator is bragging on another list that he has 25 HAM
      radio operators, all unrelated to him, all unlicensed, that conduct
      business, chit chat, etc on his GMRS repeater. He says he carrys
      them as his mobile units.

      I would like someone to do some monitoring to verify before I turn it
      to the FCC.

      Don't take your organs to heaven,
      heaven knows we need them down here!
    • Dean
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
        Ill be there monday AM
        DL
        Sent on the Now Network™ from my Sprint® BlackBerry

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
          Don't u knoiw wheb uve been had. ??
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
            On 6/4/2010 12:35 PM, jf4164@... wrote:
            > Don't u knoiw wheb uve been had. ??
            > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Make sure this guy isn't grandfathered. Here in Dallas, the Red Cross
            has an OLD OLD license that was grandfathered for 2 frequencies which
            allows them to have unlicensed folks on the channel.
          • Blake Bowers
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
              Yep, checked it. No grandfathered licenses there in that
              county. Grants are clear on all the GMRS channels for the
              old systems.

              He states that it has multiple remote voters, on 900 Mhz
              link frequencies.

              Troll comes to mind.

              He has an extra class HAM ticket too. Sheesh. I refused to
              get drawn back into it today, it was just a he and another
              commenting on how laws were not for them, and they did
              not apply to them.

              Don't take your organs to heaven,
              heaven knows we need them down here!

              >> Anyone near Boca Raton FL that can listen for some possible
              >> illegal operation?
              >>
              >> The repeater operator is bragging on another list that he has 25 HAM
              >> radio operators, all unrelated to him, all unlicensed, that conduct
              >> business, chit chat, etc on his GMRS repeater. He says he carrys
              >> them as his mobile units.
              >>

              > Make sure this guy isn't grandfathered. Here in Dallas, the Red Cross
              > has an OLD OLD license that was grandfathered for 2 frequencies which
              > allows them to have unlicensed folks on the channel.

            • Sarge 43
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                they sound like good candidates for the kill file.

                > Yep, checked it. No grandfathered licenses there in that
                > county. Grants are clear on all the GMRS channels for the
                > old systems.
                >
                > He states that it has multiple remote voters, on 900 Mhz
                > link frequencies.
                >
                > Troll comes to mind.
                >
                > He has an extra class HAM ticket too. Sheesh. I refused to
                > get drawn back into it today, it was just a he and another
                > commenting on how laws were not for them, and they did
                > not apply to them.
                >

                > Don't take your organs to heaven,
                > heaven knows we need them down here!
                > Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

              • kevin valentino
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                  I was going to say at least give the guy a curteous heads up, in case he is just an idiot (-:
                  If he IS stating that laws don't apply to him then he deserves what he gets!

                  they sound like good candidates for the kill file.

                  > Yep, checked it. No grandfathered licenses there in that
                  > county. Grants are clear on all the GMRS channels for the
                  > old systems.
                  >
                  > He states that it has multiple remote voters, on 900 Mhz
                  > link frequencies.
                  >
                  > Troll comes to mind.
                  >
                  > He has an extra class HAM ticket too. Sheesh. I refused to
                  > get drawn back into it today, it was just a he and another
                  > commenting on how laws were not for them, and they did
                  > not apply to them.
                  >

                  > Don't take your organs to heaven,
                  > heaven knows we need them down here!
                  > Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

                • Ray
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                    I agree with your inclination to turn him over to the FCC for enforcement action. I've held several FCC commercial and amateur licenses--including an Amateur Extra class "ham" ticket--for nearly 25 years,and cringe whenever I learn of such individuals as this. He discredits responsible operators in both the Amateur and General Mobile Radio services.
                    Also, let us not forget the 25 or so other amateurs who are operating as his "mobile units". If action be taken against him, likewise let it be taken against each them as well. If they're operating outside of the law because they mistakenly think that the law does not apply to them, then yes, whatever penalties may be imposed are well justified.
                    With the 420-450 MHz Amateur band under-utilized in many areas, it baffles me why any ham would invade another radio services frequency allocations. A 440 MHz repeater with 900 MHz remote bases in my area would be a welcome asset. It's a shame this person and his ham radio "buddies" have chosen to operate as radio renegades.
                    A final thought: when considering under-utilized radio spectrum, does anyone else on the list worry a bit about GMRS perhaps being phased out? Since the advent of cellular phones, the Family Radio and Multi-User Radio Services, we seem to have less need of GMRS than ever before. Should we be doing more to promote the benefits of responsible use of GMRS and encourage more people to become licensed?
                    'Just my thoughts,

                    Doc,
                    WO2C/WQLT202/T2GB024141/PGGB025301....and probably a few more I just can't remember at the moment ;)

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                      Ray,

                      I don't know what is going to happen to the spectrum - GMRS occupies but a
                      small
                      portion as you know, but it still has a value to others. If licenses
                      applications go down,
                      then it will go lower and lower down the list of FCC priorities.

                      There are still commercial users licensed there that would love to get rid
                      of the other
                      users.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                        Ray,

                        You are right. There are fewer and fewer GMRS repeaters on the air in my area all the time. And despite my attempts to invite repeater owners to get together, there is no commitment. We actually have an EMA plan to use the GMRS repeater for tactical comms with assessment teams leaving the 2m Amateur repeater free for NET use for county OEM ARES/RACES use. Each person is covered by a family license per the rules and a number of area HAMs are cross licensed in the GMRS. Our plan puts one of them in our local EOC so they can handle GMRS and HAM communications.

                        I know there are some great groups like yours and LAGG but there is still plenty of country-side not covered by a coordinating group. I have even mailed several repeater owners asking for permission to use their repeater. I was not even given the courtesy of a "no" reply, nothing at all, silence. It will be too late when its gone.

                        Regards,

                        Stan WQFD736

                      • michaelhcox@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                          Here in Vegas, there are about 10 GMRS repeaters that I know of. We are using for local EmCom as well. In my Ham EmCom group, most also have GMRS licenses. We do biweekly nets on both Ham and GMRS.

                          Thanks,

                          Michael H. Cox
                          KF7EEC / WQJT342

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                            Having been a member of the Amateur Radio Emergency Service and a SKYWARN spotter for many years, I'm happy to hear of GMRS groups organizing for emergency preparedness. Only recently have I learned of one here in the Baltimore/Washington, D.C. area, though I've yet to participate in it as it seems to be the exclusive property of a certain public service CB radio organization of which I am not a member.
                            My experience with repeater owners has been quite different from yours, Stan. I've contacted several GMRS repeater owners since being stationed here at Ft. Meade. Each time, I've received a kind reply encouraging me to make frequent use of their repeaters. In fact, each time the repeater owner has graciously refused to accept my offer of monetary payment in exchange for occassional use of his/her repeater. One gentleman who had shut down his repeaters even offered to return them to the air if it would be of benefit to my family and me. How can anyone be more accomodating than that?
                            So, thank you to Michael, Doug, Al, and Bruce. If anyone on the list will be traveling to the Baltimore/DC/Maryland shore area this summer, feel free to contact me on via 147.105 MHz 2 Meter repeater (Anne Arundel Amateur Radio Club: nice group of people) or the local 575, 700, or 725 GMRS repeaters (all are accessible via the 141.3 "travel tone" and permission to use these repeaters seems to be routinely granted to licensed GMRS users traveling through the area who are polite enough to ask).

                            Doc, WO2C/WQLT202
                          • Joe Leikhim
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                              This GMRS operator, whoever he is should be reminded that unless his
                              buddies ante up $75 for a GMRS license, the FCC will continue to see
                              this as underutilized spectrum. It is only a matter of time that some
                              commercial interests elbow out the incumbent GMRS operators. With the
                              availability of surplus wideband equipment coming on the market, this
                              should not be allowed to happen.

                              --
                              Joe Leikhim

                              Leikhim and Associates
                              Communications Consultants
                              Oviedo, Florida

                              www.Leikhim.com

                              JLeikhim@...

                              407-982-0446
                            • Ray
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 6, 2010
                                You make a valid point, Joe. Everything, including spectrum allocations, comes down to money. And, the fee is now $85: I just renewed my GMRS license less than two months ago.
                                Add to that, approximately $180 for a used Motorola mobile radio and antenna, plus $30 for my local Motorola dealer to reprogram the radio to GMRS. I didn't spend this money so I could be "elbowed out" by commercial interests--neither did any of you. We can only wonder how many of these renegades are operating type accepted equipment and how many of them have simply modified their amateur UHF equipment for use on GMRS (which, as we all know, is illegal).
                                It's time to organize and fight back. What might it take to bolster the PRSG or some similar organization of responsible GMRS useres to the level of the ARRL? Then, we might have a better chance of protecting our investments.
                                Once again, just my thoughts,

                                Doc, WO2C/WQLT202

                                --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, Joe Leikhim <rhyolite@...> wrote:

                                > This GMRS operator, whoever he is should be reminded that unless his
                                > buddies ante up $75 for a GMRS license, the FCC will continue to see
                                > this as underutilized spectrum. It is only a matter of time that some
                                > commercial interests elbow out the incumbent GMRS operators. With the
                                > availability of surplus wideband equipment coming on the market, this
                                > should not be allowed to happen.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Joe Leikhim
                                >
                                > Leikhim and Associates
                                > Communications Consultants
                                > Oviedo, Florida
                                >
                                > www.Leikhim.com
                                >
                                > JLeikhim@...
                                >
                                > 407-982-0446

                              • dark star
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 7, 2010
                                  Give me the details an i can mointer.

                                  --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@...> wrote:

                                  > Anyone near Boca Raton FL that can listen for some possible
                                  > illegal operation?
                                  >
                                  > The repeater operator is bragging on another list that he has 25 HAM
                                  > radio operators, all unrelated to him, all unlicensed, that conduct
                                  > business, chit chat, etc on his GMRS repeater. He says he carrys
                                  > them as his mobile units.
                                  >
                                  > I would like someone to do some monitoring to verify before I turn it
                                  > to the FCC.
                                  >

                                  > Don't take your organs to heaven,
                                  > heaven knows we need them down here!
                                  > Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

                                • Gary Michalosky
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 1, 2010
                                    I didn't even know there was an active GMRS repeater in Boca Raton.  Only thing I hear from up there is the West Boca country club security guys on the one repeater pair who are grandfathered in from what I gathered and don't give out a cw cal sign for thier license on the repeater. Let me know what you want me to listen to as I am in Central Broward myself

                                    Gary
                                    WQJC740