Wilson / Regency UHF programming?

  • Bill Harwood
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2001
      Came across a couple of oldies but goodies during a clean out.

      Anybody have programming instructions for UHF Wilson Citicom S (WU-1510)

      or a Regency U-150B. The are the same radio with a different labile and

      color of plastic.

      A web site with the instructions would also be helpful.

      Thanks,

      Bill Harwood
    • O. Warren
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
        Hi.....

        I have a UHF version, the WU1510, which doesn't work.

        The programming instructions are are on the web.
        Go to www.excite.com and search WU-1510
        and that should get you there.

        IF that is gone, go to www.qrz.com and go through their list of radio mods
        and programing files..

        Off the top of my head... Open the radio and look at the area between the
        large sidewise Microprocessor chip and the wide ribbon cable to the front of
        it. There is a crystal there and right next to the crystal to the right are
        2 points that need to be jumpered to program the radio.

        I would need to find my copies of the front panel sequence to lead you
        through the rest..

        Also, when I first got mine, I asked on the web, and someone told me that
        the RF amplifier coils tend to come loose at their connections, killing the
        RF section ahead of the mixer... I tried my UHF version and was able to get
        a first IF signal through the radio, but no off the air signals. So I tried
        to put in a signal at the mixer and yet couldn't find the mixer for sure...
        not without the layout diagram!!

        I hope yours works, and that it only needs programming... find the data on
        the web and it should get you going.

        I also e-mailed RELM but they said that these radios were too far back in
        time for them to still have data. Then someone sent me a book on them!!
        Unfortunately in moving about, someone in my family seems to have junked that
        book.. (Grrrrr!!)

        I'm now disassembling the front end RF section as someone has been there
        ahead of me and "messed" with that section. I still hope to resurrect the
        radio..

        Best,

        O. Dick Warren, W7TIO
        ocwarren@...

        Bill Harwood wrote:

        > Came across a couple of oldies but goodies during a clean out.
        >
        > Anybody have programming instructions for UHF Wilson Citicom S (WU-1510)
        >
        > or a Regency U-150B. The are the same radio with a different labile and
        >
        > color of plastic.
        >
        > A web site with the instructions would also be helpful.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Bill Harwood

      • Ed Greany
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
          Hi Bill,

          You DO have a real winner there. Those were great radios. I still have
          one myself but it has the remote head and the unit itself goes under the
          seat or in the trunk.

          I do have the programming instructions around here somewhere but it will
          take me a bit to locate it. If nobody else comes up with it at lease you
          have a glimmer of hope in my success of finding it for you.

          Incidently, is yours the 8 ch or 16 ch?

          Ed Greany

          Bill Harwood wrote:

          > Came across a couple of oldies but goodies during a clean out.
          >
          > Anybody have programming instructions for UHF Wilson Citicom S
          > (WU-1510)
          >
          > or a Regency U-150B. The are the same radio with a different labile
          > and
          >
          > color of plastic.
          >
          > A web site with the instructions would also be helpful.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Bill Harwood

        • Ed Greany
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
            Hi Bill,

            You DO have a real winner there. Those were great radios. I still have
            one myself but it has the remote head and the unit itself goes under the
            seat or in the trunk.

            I do have the programming instructions around here somewhere but it will
            take me a bit to locate it. If nobody else comes up with it at lease you
            have a glimmer of hope in my success of finding it for you.

            Incidently, is yours the 10 ch or 16 ch?

            Ed Greany

            Bill Harwood wrote:

            > Came across a couple of oldies but goodies during a clean out.
            >
            > Anybody have programming instructions for UHF Wilson Citicom S
            > (WU-1510)
            >
            > or a Regency U-150B. The are the same radio with a different labile
            > and
            >
            > color of plastic.
            >
            > A web site with the instructions would also be helpful.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Bill Harwood

          • Ed Greany
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
              Just dawned on me. The 1510 is a 1-ch radio but the 16 ch looks
              identical to it viewing the case. I cut into the programming wire and
              ran leads to a "hidden" toggle switch on the outside of the case for
              ease in programming on the fly.

              I searched excite and qrz without success in finding any programming
              data.

              Ed

              O. Warren wrote:

              > Hi.....
              >
              > I have a UHF version, the WU1510, which doesn't work.
              >
              > The programming instructions are are on the web.
              > Go to www.excite.com and search WU-1510
              > and that should get you there.
              >
              > IF that is gone, go to www.qrz.com and go through their list of radio
              > mods
              > and programing files..
              >
              > Off the top of my head... Open the radio and look at the area
              > between the
              > large sidewise Microprocessor chip and the wide ribbon cable to the
              > front of
              > it. There is a crystal there and right next to the crystal to the
              > right are
              > 2 points that need to be jumpered to program the radio.

            • Ken Sprouse / WA3FKG
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
                Ed Greany wrote:

                > Just dawned on me. The 1510 is a 1-ch radio but the 16 ch looks
                > identical to it viewing the case. I cut into the programming wire and
                > ran leads to a "hidden" toggle switch on the outside of the case for
                > ease in programming on the fly.
                >
                > I searched excite and qrz without success in finding any programming
                > data.
                >
                > Ed

                Here is what I found with a Google search. Hope this helps.

                Filename: WILSON.MOD
                SUBJECT : Wilson UHF/VHF Radio programming -- models WU-1510,
                WH-2516, WU-1516
                From : AB5WX
                To : MODS @ TEXAS
                Title : Wilson/Regency Radios

                ***How to Program Regency and Wilson Commercial Radios***

                (NOTE: CAPS indicate the radio button to push, not a command.)

                1.) First radios must be placed in "program mode". Many are set
                this way from the first dealer who placed them into service. In
                order to check to see if this mod has been performed; press PROG
                PRIOR THEN 10. The display should go blank. Skip the next
                paragraph and go to the next section.

                If the display does not go blank proceed with the following mod.
                Locate jumper JU-401 on the radio motherboard (its in front of the
                main microprocessor which sits perpendicular to the front of the
                chassis.

                2.) Heres the program sequence:
                Turn radio off, then back on.
                Press PROG PRIOR then 10 (your display should go blank).
                Enter receive frequency (6 digits;ex. 446000).
                Enter either 00 (simplex) or 80 (duplex)
                Enter either 00 (no pl tone) or 01-32 (corresponds to the
                first 32 standard pl tones (ex. 01=67.0, 32=203.5).
                Enter transmit frequency (6 digits; ex 446000).
                Enter ENTER.
                Enter Channel # you want to save to memory.
                Turn radio off, then back on. (leds will flash ). Example: to
                enter a repeater frequency for 444.200 with a plus offset and a
                pltone of 162.2 on channel 2; you would press PROG PRIOR then
                enter: 442000 80 26 447000 ENTER 2
                (receive) (dup) (pl) (transmit) (channel)
                3.) Test
                Enter MANUAL, then press number of channel you wish to
                test.
                Key PTT on microphone. You should be able to verify
                operation of radio. (i.e repeater will come up)

                4.) Channel verification-In order to determine what is already
                programmed in a channel, perform the following sequence:
                Power On
                Enter PROG PRIOR then 10
                Enter MANUAL then Channel # (keypad #)
                Write down the numbers as they flash on led display.
                EXAMPLE: 442000 80 01 447000
                receive dup pl transmit

                Subnote: Regency and Wilson 16 channel radios can also be
                programmed using the same procedure except that:
                1. Program jumper must be removed after programming is complete in
                order to transmit. (on 10 channels this can stay on all the time).

                2. PL code must be entered twice.

                I hope this helps a few hams who have procured some of these fine
                radios from swapfests, trade nets, etc. They are really fine for
                packet radio, home base units and extra mobile rigs. The fact
                that they are frequency agile is a big plus over some of the old
                crystal units that are still appearing so much.

                --
                Ken Sprouse Sr. Oakmont,Pa wa3fkg@... http://www.qsl.net/wa3fkg
                Member North Hills Amateur Radio Club ][ http://nharc.pgh.pa.us
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
                  Looks like Telepath has one for sale too. Found it at:
                  http://www.telepathcorp.com/used_items/mobile.html but I don't have any
                  details on it. Just FYI.

                  The below steps are as I recall it also.

                  Good luck, Dick. Hope it works for you okay.

                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
                    Hi Ken...

                    As you saw, I have a sick radio and I'm trying to fix it the hard way..

                    I have the same programming data that you have, but while I did have a book,
                    apparently not now..

                    IF by change someone finds a book, could I please get a Xerox copy of it??
                    I'd be more than happy to pay for copying and mailing, etc..

                    I suspect that once I get the RF section apart and what looks like tampered
                    with coils fixed, I think I can make it fly.. It programs fine over a fair
                    stretch of frequencies..

                    Best,

                    O. Dick Warren, W7TIO
                    ocwarren@...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
                      Dick,

                      Try this. Radio Resource Magazine once carried a small ad for years from
                      a man who repairs just Wilson radio equipment. His ad even had a WU1510
                      displayed. The ad was only postage-size but I saw it every issue. I have
                      since discarded my old issues but you might try this source anyway. They
                      are at www.radioresourcemag.com and it was about 10 years ago. I sent my
                      unit to him and he did a good job. I bet he still has a service manual
                      he might share with you.

                      Ed

                      O. Warren wrote:

> [...]
                      > > programmed using the same procedure except that:
                      > > 1. Program jumper must be removed after programming is complete in
                      > > order to transmit. (on 10 channels this can stay on all the time).
                      > >
                      > > 2. PL code must be entered twice.
                      > >
                      > > I hope this helps a few hams who have procured some of these fine
                      > > radios from swapfests, trade nets, etc. They are really fine for
                      > > packet radio, home base units and extra mobile rigs. The fact
                      > > that they are frequency agile is a big plus over some of the old
                      > > crystal units that are still appearing so much.
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Ken Sprouse Sr. Oakmont,Pa wa3fkg@...
                      > http://www.qsl.net/wa3fkg
                      > > Member North Hills Amateur Radio Club ][ http://nharc.pgh.pa.us
                      > > Ask me how you can have a picture of your scanner/shack on a mouse
                      > pad.
                      > > Glock - The ultimate point and click user interface.(c)

                    • Bob Gass
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 9, 2001
                        Sounds like your VCO adj capacitor may be bad instead
                        of the coils. Relm had problems with those, they
                        become intermittant. Check your VCO voltage, if you
                        have a book.

                        Bob N4FV

                        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                      • Ed Greany
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 24, 2001
                          Attn: Bill Harwood,

                          You might remember the following posting back on 7/9. (I deleted my
                          older postings so I can't simply reply to the posting.)

                          I had done some investigating for you since I own a Wilson programmable
                          UHF radio and had sent it in to someone for work also. I wanted to
                          research the ad I used to see in Radio Resource Magazine. I just got the
                          response from them today (see below)

                          Bill Harwood wrote:

                          > Came across a couple of oldies but goodies during a clean out.
                          >
                          > Anybody have programming instructions for UHF Wilson Citicom S
                          > (WU-1510) or a Regency U-150B. The are the same radio with a
                          > different labile and color of plastic.
                          >
                          > A web site with the instructions would also be helpful.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Bill Harwood

                          Terry Sandoval of Radio Resource Magazine
                          (tsandoval@...) wrote:

                          Hello Ed -

                          You probably thought I forgot about your request for information about
                          possible repair shops for Wilson radios. Well, I didn't.

                          I've been looking through our past issues, beginning with April 1994.
                          The only advertiser with a mention of Wilson radio repair in its ad is
                          Multicom. They actually still advertise with us! My Multicom contact is
                          Gene Perham. Multicom's phone number is still 405-799-7356.

                          Hope that helps. Good Luck, Ed!

                          Terry Sandoval

                          Perhaps they can help you with your programming needs or repair if
                          necessary. Like Terry said, hope this helps.

                          Ed Greany