Re: GMRS Newbie

  • Danny Harmon
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1 2:27 PM
      Welcome to GMRS!!

      I think I may the only one this list who advocates GMRS for fun and
      not just disaster preparedness & emergency use.
      I use my radios with family and friends all the time. Yes, I do
      regularly communicate with UN-Licensed users..
      (DAH-DAH-DAH-DAHHHHHHHH!!!!) but I kinda think the FCC had this sort
      of use in mind when creating the service.

      I use Motorola CP-200's and PR400's plus a CM300 Mobile and a GM300
      base station. My friends all have various Midland and Talkabout
      bubblepacks that we use when railfanning (chasing trains).

      Welcome to the list!

      Regards,
      Danny Harmon
      Tampa
    • david paulino
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1 8:30 PM
        Wow..your'e in trouble now!  The self-appointed GMRS Police are going to turn in a un-official enforcement form on you.  How dare you use it for fun! or anything that doesn't sit well with the GMRS Police.  Welcome.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2 2:12 AM
          I too use G.M.R.S. for fun & not em-comms.  It doesn't appeal to me at all.  My father was a policeman & my mother's father a fire chief.  I have no desire to do that so instead like to focus on the fun parts of G.M.R.S..  Family communications, ragchewing, etc..

          Jay: WQBI410

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 10, 2008
            --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, JNR <a1asurfradio@...> wrote:

            > Welcome WQIV278! I'm glad you took the right step & have your
            license.
            Not too many people would bother to read up on the regs. Yes, the
            bubble packs are a pain.

            Well, my bubble pack "GMRS radfios" said in very big letters "no
            license required" on the package and instruction manual.

            And only in very very very small print that is barely readable even
            when using a magnifying glass, mentions a license being required
            to use the GMRS channels/frequencies.

            Now how are most people going to know that when it's not very
            readable even when using a magnifying glass?

            But in big letters that you can see with your naked eye, it says
            "no license required".

            And that's not jut one manufacturer, but several manufacturers.

            Hopefully they don't cause harmful interference though. Anyway,
            I'm using the Icom IC-F21GM. All of the channels are programmed for
            G.M.R.S. only with the last "channel" being a scan feature. It's 4W
            & I really like it. I think A.E.S. has them for $129.99 each. I
            think their website is www.hamradio.com.