Re: Response from FCC et al on GMRS/APRS

  • John Marcel (K1FDD)
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2007
      I would say not necessarily in that the original question posed to
      the FCC was of the Garmin System (on GMRS) could more/less be tied
      into Ham Radio APRS (on Amateur Radio). I've always been under the
      impression that cross-service traffic has never been allowed or at
      least looked favorably on. The part-95 section listed below
      basically says unless it's an emergency a non-ham can't talk on a
      ham frequency. Much like in Theory a Non-GMRS Licensee can't
      transmit on GMRS frequencies (we know the reality). So even though
      I'm licensed for GMRS and Amateur Radio, I can't set up any sort of
      patching between the two, voice, digital or otherwise.

      Now the Garmin-Rino thing muddys the GMRS waters by
      allowing "Officially" (according to what I'm reading here and in
      catalogs), non-licensed users to access GMRS frequencies for "Data"
      only. The radios still use Channels 15-22 in voice too, so what's
      the point of the license?

      I'm curious is anyone has written the FCC and asked straight
      up, "Why is non-licensed data being allowed on frequencies voice
      users must obtain a fee based license for?" I'd be curious to their
      answers to that. They're willing to take the $85 I just shelled out
      to relicense and could've used on something else. What do I get for
      that?

      John Marcel
      WPXA902/K1FDD
      Penacook, NH

      --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Walters" <abacuspc@...> wrote:

      > Boy, so unless you are sure that transmitting the Garmin data is
      an emergency messgage, the answer is NO. Therefiore why would
      anyone build the thing for only the extremely limited use it might
      get. You could not use it in a drill and testing would be
      impossible. Only chnace to use it would be in a live emregency.

      > Stan Walters
      > President, York County REACT
      > AB3EM - WQFD736 - KIS5155
      > IS7,15,22,100,200,271,317,700,800
      > CERT,T&RA, ET&RA,Highway Watch
      > www.geocities.com/yorkcountyreact
      > yorkcountyreact@...
      > s.walters@...

      Riley Hollingsworth
      Enforcement Bureau
      FCC

      Sir,

      I know you are very busy and hope that my question is not too
      complicated to be handled easily. My question is whether or not it
      would be permissable to construct and operate a uni-directional,
      cross-band digipeater that receives the proprietary Garmin "Rhino"
      data positions, screens out call signs not identified as Search and
      Rescue units, and reformats the information for transmission on the
      Amatuer Radio Services APRS network. This assumes a properly
      licensed control operator of the APRS side, and properly licensed
      GMRS users on the input side.

      Best regards,

      Allen R. Lord
      VHS Special Services
    • ka1jfy
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2007
        Merry Christmas to the city with the statistical best chance of snow
        on Christmas Eve. Boy I don't miss that!

        Simmer down, John.

        GPS data is not permitted on GMRS, 25 kHz channels. These are the
        ones you need a license for.

        It's only allowed on the FRS 12.5 kHz channels [7 of which happen to
        be shared with the GMRS 'interstitial' channels].
        Channels that any Tom, Dick or Harry can get on legally with 1/2 watt
        or less.

        Walter, WPXP269, KD7BJJ
        Phoenix, AZ

        --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "John Marcel (K1FDD)" <jmarcel66@...>