Wanna chat?

  • Richard Hayman
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
      GMRS is not the place for that. Ham Radio is the place to be if you
      have an interest in communication and making new friends. With Morse
      Code no longer a requirement, it's easy to study for a license and
      talk around the world. Sun spot cycle is on the upswing.

      Goto www.arrl.org for more info.

      Dick
      WPWI669
      WN3R
    • Ray_Vaughan_99
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
        I think it would be better to say Amateur radio is BETTER place to
        chat. But by all means, chat on GMRS if that's what you want to do.
        As long as it's legal, you can feel free to use GMRS as you wish.
        Just be courteous of others on the channel. Leave gaps in your
        conversation to allow others to join, or to use their systems.

        Ray

        --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hayman" <rhayman3000@...> wrote:

        > GMRS is not the place for that. Ham Radio is the place to be if you
        > have an interest in communication and making new friends. With Morse
        > Code no longer a requirement, it's easy to study for a license and
        > talk around the world. Sun spot cycle is on the upswing.
        >
        > Goto www.arrl.org for more info.
        >
        > Dick
        > WPWI669
        > WN3R

      • lucky jones
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
          i agree if u own the repeater or if u know the owner and he dosent care
          ( as i dont)
          go ahead and chat we do it in kansas city area and ita enjoyable.....lucky

          Ray_Vaughan_99 wrote:

          > I think it would be better to say Amateur radio is BETTER place to
          > chat. But by all means, chat on GMRS if that's what you want to do.
          > As long as it's legal, you can feel free to use GMRS as you wish.
          > Just be courteous of others on the channel. Leave gaps in your
          > conversation to allow others to join, or to use their systems.
          >
          > Ray
          >
          > --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:GMRS%40yahoogroups.com>, "Richard
          > Hayman" <rhayman3000@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > GMRS is not the place for that. Ham Radio is the place to be if you
          > > have an interest in communication and making new friends. With Morse
          > > Code no longer a requirement, it's easy to study for a license and
          > > talk around the world. Sun spot cycle is on the upswing.
          > >
          > > Goto www.arrl.org for more info.
          > >
          > > Dick
          > > WPWI669
          > > WN3R

          > http://www.eset.com

        • Bryan Serdyns
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
            If I cant talk to my GMRS buddies I might as well sell all my GMRS radios then. We have all types of communications on GMRS. I own one of the repeaters in my area and as long as you go by the rules, knock yourself out . Around my parts it seems all spanish on HAM radio. Aprenda inglés o vuelva a su país

            Bryan
            Polk GMRS Group
            Central, Florida

            Ray_Vaughan_99 <ray@...> wrote:
            I think it would be better to say Amateur radio is BETTER place to
            chat. But by all means, chat on GMRS if that's what you want to do.
            As long as it's legal, you can feel free to use GMRS as you wish.
            Just be courteous of others on the channel. Leave gaps in your
            conversation to allow others to join, or to use their systems.

            Ray

            --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hayman" <rhayman3000@...> wrote:

            > GMRS is not the place for that. Ham Radio is the place to be if you
            > have an interest in communication and making new friends. With Morse
            > Code no longer a requirement, it's easy to study for a license and
            > talk around the world. Sun spot cycle is on the upswing.
            >
            > Goto www.arrl.org for more info.
            >
            > Dick
            > WPWI669
            > WN3R

          • Sam
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
              I'm chatten on my system here in Central Texas, with my Family and
              neighbors who have a license, talking more on GMRS than I do on 2 meter
              or 440.

              Sam
              WQGI744
              KE5MID
            • Peter
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
                I totally agree with the others.
                Why can't GMRS be an alternative to Amateur at times? It is considered
                partly a family communication service, isn't it? The radio community
                is a big family.

                --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Serdyns <wpuh380@...> wrote:

                > If I cant talk to my GMRS buddies I might as well sell all my GMRS
                radios then. We have all types of communications on GMRS. I own one of
                the repeaters in my area and as long as you go by the rules, knock
                yourself out . Around my parts it seems all spanish on HAM radio.
                Aprenda inglés o vuelva a su país

                > Bryan
                > Polk GMRS Group
                > Central, Florida
                >

                > Ray_Vaughan_99 <ray@...> wrote:
                > I think it would be better to say Amateur radio is BETTER
                place to
                > chat. But by all means, chat on GMRS if that's what you want to do.
                > As long as it's legal, you can feel free to use GMRS as you wish.
                > Just be courteous of others on the channel. Leave gaps in your
                > conversation to allow others to join, or to use their systems.
                >
                > Ray
                >
                > --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hayman" <rhayman3000@> wrote:
                > >
                > > GMRS is not the place for that. Ham Radio is the place to be if you
                > > have an interest in communication and making new friends. With Morse
                > > Code no longer a requirement, it's easy to study for a license and
                > > talk around the world. Sun spot cycle is on the upswing.
                > >
                > > Goto www.arrl.org for more info.
                > >
                > > Dick
                > > WPWI669
                > > WN3R

              • MiKeY
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2007
                  on Dalnet i got a chat room for GMRS

                  --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Serdyns <wpuh380@...> wrote:

                  > If I cant talk to my GMRS buddies I might as well sell all my GMRS
                  radios then. We have all types of communications on GMRS. I own one of
                  the repeaters in my area and as long as you go by the rules, knock
                  yourself out . Around my parts it seems all spanish on HAM radio.
                  Aprenda inglés o vuelva a su país

                  > Bryan
                  > Polk GMRS Group
                  > Central, Florida
                  >

                  > Ray_Vaughan_99 <ray@...> wrote:
                  > I think it would be better to say Amateur radio is BETTER
                  place to
                  > chat. But by all means, chat on GMRS if that's what you want to do.
                  > As long as it's legal, you can feel free to use GMRS as you wish.
                  > Just be courteous of others on the channel. Leave gaps in your
                  > conversation to allow others to join, or to use their systems.
                  >
                  > Ray
                  >
                  > --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hayman" <rhayman3000@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > GMRS is not the place for that. Ham Radio is the place to be if you
                  > > have an interest in communication and making new friends. With Morse
                  > > Code no longer a requirement, it's easy to study for a license and
                  > > talk around the world. Sun spot cycle is on the upswing.
                  > >
                  > > Goto www.arrl.org for more info.
                  > >
                  > > Dick
                  > > WPWI669
                  > > WN3R

                • MiKeY
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
                    if u download a program called mIRC and log onto a Server Called
                    DalNet i got two GMRS chat channels on that server one is #GMRS and
                    the other is #SOCALGMRS

                    --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Hayman" <rhayman3000@...> wrote:

                    > GMRS is not the place for that. Ham Radio is the place to be if you
                    > have an interest in communication and making new friends. With Morse
                    > Code no longer a requirement, it's easy to study for a license and
                    > talk around the world. Sun spot cycle is on the upswing.
                    >
                    > Goto www.arrl.org for more info.
                    >
                    > Dick
                    > WPWI669
                    > WN3R

                  • Skip Sanders
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 5, 2007
                      --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <petey_racer@...> wrote:

                      >I totally agree with the others.
                      >Why can't GMRS be an alternative to Amateur at times? It is considered
                      >partly a family communication service, isn't it? The radio community
                      >is a big family.

                      GMRS can be used to chat with other licensees, yes. In some places,
                      it is, quite a lot. In others, not. Let's look at the FCC
                      definition of the purpose of GMRS:
                      -----
                      Sec. 95.1 The General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS).

                      (a) The GMRS is a land mobile radio service available to persons for
                      short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of
                      licensees and their immediate family members. Each licensee manages a
                      system consisting of one or more stations.
                      -----
                      Looks like the primary intent is communications within/for family
                      activities, doesn't it? Not restricted to that, or they'd have kept
                      the older rules that prohibited talking to other licensees, but the
                      intent is for local (notice that short distance?) family type
                      communications. Certainly local chat with friends comes under the
                      heading of 'activities' of the licensee, but it's not the primary
                      function of the service.

                      Heck, most users of bubble packs (whether licensed or not) will
                      tend, from what I've seen, to react badly to anyone trying to talk
                      to them as 'interlopers' on 'their' radios. They're using the radios
                      for the intended use, and don't want non-family/friends bugging them
                      while they do.

                      Might remember that 'short distance' when proposing linked repeaters
                      to cover huge areas, too...