I am a Ham, and I am interested in all forms of communications......

  • Vernon Justice
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2007
      The only problem with GMRS is the number of operators. There are few
      enough operators in the two meters area. I also know, and I hope
      someone could correct me here, it is possible to set up your own
      repeater, and allow others to use it , I know of only one such
      repeater, and the guy who put it up has nt had the ability to maintain
      it, so it is off the air most of the time. Are there clubs within the
      State of kansas?
    • Maire-Radios
      Message 2 of 12 , May 8, 2007
        Well I went through it here is Florida and wanted to do the same here. Well Got the repeater but so little use it is sad.
        John (Tampabay Florida)

        Message 3 of 12 , May 8, 2007
          John,

          I have come up on the repeater a few times and not heard anyone.
          I do keep it in my scan list though...

          Do you still have the other machine for sale?

          I would need to know if at the time of purchase it would be ready to go on
          the air? I know I would need feed line and an antenna, but other than that..

          Adam

          WQDS-265

          Clearwater, FL

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , May 8, 2007
            --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Vernon Justice" <v.justice@...> wrote:

            > The only problem with GMRS is the number of operators. There are few
            > enough operators in the two meters area. I also know, and I hope
            > someone could correct me here, it is possible to set up your own
            > repeater, and allow others to use it , I know of only one such
            > repeater, and the guy who put it up has nt had the ability to
            maintain
            > it, so it is off the air most of the time. Are there clubs within
            the
            > State of kansas?

            what part of kansas are you in
          • Sarge
            Message 5 of 12 , May 8, 2007
              GMRS is big in SE Texas for REACT and such. There are quite a few repeaters.
              Yes, you can build a repeater and put it up. 50watt limit and I can't
              remember the height limit.
              I want to find a place to buy used Motorola radios for GMRS.

              > The only problem with GMRS is the number of operators. There are few
              > enough operators in the two meters area. I also know, and I hope
              > someone could correct me here, it is possible to set up your own
              > repeater, and allow others to use it , I know of only one such
              > repeater, and the guy who put it up has nt had the ability to maintain
              > it, so it is off the air most of the time. Are there clubs within the
              > State of kansas?
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --
              > 2:55 PM

            • Walters
              Message 6 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                Hi Vernon,

                It is true that in many areas GMRS is not very active. I have found that some GMRS'rs have scanners and scan all 8 freqs. It is up to each person to generate interest. The problem is that if one licensee puts up a repeater and then wants to keep it private because of fears of over-use, it won't get used because no one will know.

                I regularly get on my repeater and announce its presence, PL, location, coverage etc and then give a typical HAM type listening call. I have had several contacts from other GMRS operators who were scanning and heard me. Other than that even my own use has been limited as I used my coax for my 2m rig and am waiting to receive another shippment of feed line to get GMRS on the air.

                As a REACT team member I am interested in ALL the public licensed and unlicensed bands, CB, FRS, MURS, GMRS and ARS.

                I think GMRS can be what we as operators and licensee make of it but that is the risk. What a great problem it would be to have a well used repeater, LOL.

                There are very few GMRS repeater databases out there and not everyone wants their repeater listed so that makes it tough. You will just have to scan the GMRS freqs and then jot down the callsigns and look them up at the FCC ULS -->> http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

                Go ahead, look yourself up. Look me up. Let's have some chatter there in KS.

                Regards,

                Stan Walters
                Shrewsbury PA
                AB3EM, WQFD736
                NIMS, CERT, ET&RA
                York County REACT
                Highway Watch
                abacuspc@...
                yorkcountyreact@...

                Message 7 of 12 , May 8, 2007
                  the one he talking about is in shawnee ks it's been on the air about 12
                  years
                  with little down time. not as much use lately but still
                  used......lucky....KAF4575/W0DRJ

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 9, 2007
                    well the R-100 repeater is still on the on the air it is set for 462.725 and has a DPL code of 125. Yes I would still like to sell it. It would need a duplixer as in it set up now there is a TX and RX antenna. I would sell the repeater for $100.00

                    Also I have the 700 and 725 in my HT on scan so If you catch me that is great and we can talk. One problem there is about 10 Freg in scan so it take a bit of time to do the scan list about 4 sec. Sometimes at work it get on the work channel and I forge to get it back on scan.

                    Thanks and hope to talk soon.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 9, 2007
                      --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "wew1953" <wew1953@...> wrote:

                      > --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Vernon Justice" <v.justice@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The only problem with GMRS is the number of operators. There are
                      few
                      > > enough operators in the two meters area. I also know, and I hope
                      > > someone could correct me here, it is possible to set up your own
                      > > repeater, and allow others to use it , I know of only one such
                      > > repeater, and the guy who put it up has nt had the ability to
                      > maintain
                      > > it, so it is off the air most of the time. Are there clubs within
                      > the
                      > > State of kansas?
                      > >
                      > what part of kansas are you in
                      >Eastern part, and Lucky called me last night to tell me that his
                      repeater is up and working. So, AI stand corrected.
                    • Bryan
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 9, 2007
                        John, everytime I head to the west (Tampa) I use your repeater. I
                        have the same luck with both the repeaters we have on the air. We
                        have a few that use them everyday.
                        I hope you keep the 700 repeater up and running. It would be well
                        worth having if the Tampa Bay area gets slammed with a hurricane and
                        it make's it through the storm.

                        Bryan
                        WWW.PolkGMRSgroup.org

                        -- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "Maire-Radios" <maire-radios@...> wrote:

                        > Well I went through it here is Florida and wanted to do the same
                        here. Well Got the repeater but so little use it is sad.
                        > John (Tampabay Florida)

                      • bill ward
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 9, 2007
                          i live in southeast kansas town call baxterspring and been thinking about putting up a repeter hear.

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 24, 2007
                            I still have the R-100 repeater

                            also I will be on the repeater this weekend.
                            thanks John