Need help. HT Advice needed.

  • phoenixscanner1
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hello, new to the group from Arizona. Greetings! I have a IC-F21GM on
      the way, and one of its main jobs will be to talk to my base station
      which will be a little over three miles away in a big city with some
      two and three story buildings in between. It seems to be a solid 4 watt
      radio with repeater capability and a good reputation. I would be
      interested though in picking up a 5 watt ht since in my case every bit
      of power I can get would be nice. I have noticed the 5 watt Maxon SP-
      140, but think the price is outrageous, and I would like to know if
      anyone can justify that price, especially when it only works with silly
      out of date floppy disk/dos software. I am not setting up some old
      stone-axe computer with dos on it, but I want to be able to program the
      radio I buy. What are they thinking? The ICOM I am buying has what it
      needs and can be modified with the keys. I have also seen the 5 watt
      Kenwood TK-308 which seems perfect, and can be programmed from the keys
      and display on the front, and it is only on ebay, and seems to be made
      in Australia or Asia. Problem is, I can find NOTHING about it on the
      internet. And that is a red flag to me. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT
      THIS RADIO? Would it work? They can be had for less than $100 on ebay
      with everything. Seems to good to be true. Any help would be
      appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
        Maxon HT's are extremely good radios. I own several.
        And what do you mean by silly out of date software on
        a disk (dos)? What difference does it make as long as
        the job gets done? Also, don't think you'll notice much
        of difference with a watt......

        phoenixscanner1 wrote:

        > Hello, new to the group from Arizona. Greetings! I have a IC-F21GM on
        > the way, and one of its main jobs will be to talk to my base station
        > which will be a little over three miles away in a big city with some
        > two and three story buildings in between. It seems to be a solid 4 watt
        > radio with repeater capability and a good reputation. I would be
        > interested though in picking up a 5 watt ht since in my case every bit
        > of power I can get would be nice. I have noticed the 5 watt Maxon SP-
        > 140, but think the price is outrageous, and I would like to know if
        > anyone can justify that price, especially when it only works with silly
        > out of date floppy disk/dos software. I am not setting up some old
        > stone-axe computer with dos on it, but I want to be able to program the
        > radio I buy. What are they thinking? The ICOM I am buying has what it
        > needs and can be modified with the keys. I have also seen the 5 watt
        > Kenwood TK-308 which seems perfect, and can be programmed from the keys
        > and display on the front, and it is only on ebay, and seems to be made
        > in Australia or Asia. Problem is, I can find NOTHING about it on the
        > internet. And that is a red flag to me. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT
        > THIS RADIO? Would it work? They can be had for less than $100 on ebay
        > with everything. Seems to good to be true. Any help would be
        > appreciated. Thanks in advance.
        >

        > Recent Activ

      • Walters
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2006
          My guess after looking at those auctions (200-240VDC adapater only) is that this unit is only for sale in certain markets and not in the US.
          Stan

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2006
            Thanks for responding. The consensus seems to be it really isn't for us here in America.

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Michael Ormandy
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2006
              Well, the difference is (from what I have read), you need an OLD computer, running just certain versions of DOS (an obsolete software platform), and an understanding of DOS commands. You need all of this to program the radio. This is a Windows world, not a DOS world anymore. I just can't grasp why anyone would use this ancient platform to write software on. My base radio uses WINDOWS software, and is easy for anyone with Windows experience to use. I don't want to have to go find some old computer and tinker around with it just to be able to program a radio. All software made these days should be windows based and come on a CD, not a very unreliable floppy disk. I have seem many floppy disks that got corrupted just by inserting them into a certain computer. All information lost. Trash. And considering what this software costs that is unacceptable. Floppy disks are complete and utter GARBAGE.

              Regarding your other point, yes I actually hear that Maxons are THE best radios, better than ICOM or whatever, and that is why this is a shame to me. Any programming I need done, I will have to pay a shop to do. New repeaters are supposed to be coming online in my area over the next year or so, and when I need a new tone associated with a channel, it will be back to the shop to pay $40 or whatever just to do that. Several trips could equal the cost of the radio. My ICOM IC-F21 HT allows you to associate tones with frequencies with the buttons on the unit. Do you know if any of the Maxon radios can do this? That would solve my whole issue.

              Thanks for your input.

              phoenixscanner1 wrote:

              > Hello, new to the group from Arizona. Greetings! I have a IC-F21GM on
              > the way, and one of its main jobs will be to talk to my base station
              > which will be a little over three miles away in a big city with some
              > two and three story buildings in between. It seems to be a solid 4 watt
              > radio with repeater capability and a good reputation. I would be
              > interested though in picking up a 5 watt ht since in my case every bit
              > of power I can get would be nice. I have noticed the 5 watt Maxon SP-
              > 140, but think the price is outrageous, and I would like to know if
              > anyone can justify that price, especially when it only works with silly
              > out of date floppy disk/dos software. I am not setting up some old
              > stone-axe computer with dos on it, but I want to be able to program the
              > radio I buy. What are they thinking? The ICOM I am buying has what it
              > needs and can be modified with the keys. I have also seen the 5 watt
              > Kenwood TK-308 which seems perfect, and can be programmed from the keys
              > and display on the front, and it is only on ebay, and seems to be made
              > in Australia or Asia. Problem is, I can find NOTHING about it on the
              > internet. And that is a red flag to me. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT
              > THIS RADIO? Would it work? They can be had for less than $100 on ebay
              > with everything. Seems to good to be true. Any help would be
              > appreciated. Thanks in advance.
              >

              > Recent Activ

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ben
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2006
                On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:34:40AM -0800, Michael Ormandy wrote:
                > Well, the difference is (from what I have read), you need an OLD computer,
                > running just certain versions of DOS (an obsolete software platform), and
                > an understanding of DOS commands. You need all of this to program the
                > radio. This is a Windows world, not a DOS world anymore. I just can't
                > grasp why anyone would use this ancient platform to write software on. My
                > base radio uses WINDOWS software, and is easy for anyone with Windows
                > experience to use. I don't want to have to go find some old computer and
                > tinker around with it just to be able to program a radio. All software
                > made these days should be windows based and come on a CD, not a very
                > unreliable floppy disk. I have seem many floppy disks that got corrupted
                > just by inserting them into a certain computer. All information lost.
                > Trash. And considering what this software costs that is unacceptable.
                > Floppy disks are complete and utter GARBAGE.

                Michael, you have a number of misconceptions.

                1) Most of this software was written years ago. And it works fine for the
                professional radio shops that are the real customers of it, so there isn't
                that much reason to change. Especially if you are talking about old radio
                models. I'm sure the newer stuff is a lot more up to date. If you want the
                latest and greatest then you have to pay for it.

                2) The hardware interface used to program many of the radios requires strict
                timing of serial or parallel port pins. Windows doesn't give the programs
                the unfettered access to the hardware or processor time needed to accomplish
                this timing. That is why it's not a no-brainer to put the software on
                Windows.

                3) Once a manufacturer has established a hardware interface they are not
                going to want to change it in an incompatible way just so you can more
                easily program your second-hand radio from ebay. Sure they could go to
                asynchronous interfaces, and they have in some cases.. but in general these
                standards tend to stick around a while.

                As long as the radio shops and big fleets can program their radios, that is
                what they care about. End users are not supposed to be programming their
                own radios anyway.. it is SUPPOSED to be hard for the end user to do it.
                The manufacturers care about the business users, they don't make a dime off
                you.

                4) Floppy disks are garbage? Ok, how old are you, really??? Floppy disks
                work fine, but you seem to have some scars maybe from an unfortunate
                childhood floppy drive incident??? It is just like any other media.. if you
                don't want to lose it then back it up. Floppies only became obsolete a few
                years ago. I was using them for 20 years before that with relatively few
                problems. The old computers worked. They worked just fine actually.

                In SUMMARY.. yea the stuff is old. But there is nothing wrong with it. IT
                WORKS. If you want to program old radios that use old protocols you need
                the right stuff to do it. It sucks but sorry dude you are not the target
                market for radio manufacturers. You are a bottom feeder as are we all.
                Deal with it. As I said, if you want the latest and greatest, you have to
                pay for it. Have you priced new commercial radios lately??? They are not
                cheap.

                It isn't that hard to get a copy of MS-DOS somewhere or download FREEDOS..
                or just steal a copy of Windows 95 or 98 somewhere and boot it into DOS
                mode. Get a floppy somewhere or get someone to copy it to a cd for ya.
                If it turns out you need an old computer they are still easy to find for
                free or close to free.

                Or.. you can pay a shop to do it. I beleive this has changed recently but
                for most of history it was ILLEGAL for you to program your own radio. That
                is why it requires special software to do it, because you aren't supposed to
                be doing it... So if you get yourself set up to do it and avoid paying the
                shop, then pat yourself on the back for getting one over on da man...

                Or.. chose your radios from among the few that have less onerous programming
                requirements.

                -Ben
              • Clint Bradford
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2006
                  >>...4W vs. 5W...

                  If you cannot accomplish what you want with 4W, then 5W won't make any difference.

                  You can improve the 4W HT's antenna - THAT would be a worthwhile improvement. But don;t
                  sweat a one-Watt difference in a HT!

                  Clint Bradford, KAF3359
                • Ben
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2006
                    PS: Windows sucks. Really, it does.

                    -Ben
                  • Duane Vincent
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Michael wrote: "Well, the difference is (from what I
                      have read), you need an OLD computer, running just
                      certain versions of DOS (an obsolete software
                      platform), and an understanding of DOS commands. You
                      need all of this to program the radio."

                      Not true. I am programming my ICOM radios (several
                      models) using a Windows XP laptop rated somewhere
                      around 1.6 gig. Works just fine...

                      Duane

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Excellently said! Kudos....

> [...]
                        > cheap.
                        >
                        > It isn't that hard to get a copy of MS-DOS somewhere or download FREEDOS..
                        > or just steal a copy of Windows 95 or 98 somewhere and boot it into DOS
                        > mode. Get a floppy somewhere or get someone to copy it to a cd for ya.
                        > If it turns out you need an old computer they are still easy to find for
                        > free or close to free.
                        >
                        > Or.. you can pay a shop to do it. I beleive this has changed recently but
                        > for most of history it was ILLEGAL for you to program your own radio. That
                        > is why it requires special software to do it, because you aren't
                        > supposed to
                        > be doing it... So if you get yourself set up to do it and avoid paying the
                        > shop, then pat yourself on the back for getting one over on da man...
                        >
                        > Or.. chose your radios from among the few that have less onerous

                      • Maire-Radios
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 6, 2006
                          We have been selling radio's for many years now and one thing we don't do is sell the software or program cables or RIB's . Before we sold radio's there was a number of high schools kids that got there own radio's, software and cables. No one was safe from them, local repeaters, police and just the local drive in food place like Mc D's. They would program anything they could and just use others repeaters at will. After some time the local police with the help of the FBI, I was told got them.

                          And every body and any one should program radio's? I think not. Also Maxon was both out by Midland. We when we have it sell Maxon at low cost or give them away. There is a lot better out there, Big M., Kenwood, Icom and EF Johnson.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 7, 2006
                            Reply, yep, true for ICOM, and that is why I program my ICOM on my windows XP laptop as well.
                            I am not hearing the best things about the maxon anyway. To really step up from ICOM I would need to buy a Moto and they are not cheap, I'll just stick with my IC. I just saw someone selling the maxon cable and software on a floppy disk and it gave me fits.

                            Someone else mentioned that they didn't want to see every Joe in town, including kids programming radios, and I agree. In order to buy the software and cable I think the seller should be required to verify the FCC license of the person buying it. Problem solved.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 10, 2006
                              I will bet they got ahold of a FPP ham radio opened up to the full
                              bandwith not all the stuff needed for programing.

                              I have seen many ham radios like this that can transmit way out of
                              the limits it was sold with.

                              Not pointing fingers but that is the most likley explination.

                              Joe
                              WPZK854