New

  • Jeff Wall
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
      [:)] First just let me say HI!

      New to the group.

      I would like to know how long the FCC takes to issue a license (after
      they get yer $80)??

    • Adam Karsin
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
        I had mine about 20 minutes after I completed the transaction, at least it
        showed online.

        Adam

        _____

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
          I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Took less that 1 business day for me
          to get my callsign via the website. About a week until I got my official
          letter in the mail.

          John

          On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Jeff Wall wrote:

          > [:)] First just let me say HI!
          >
          > New to the group.
          >
          > I would like to know how long the FCC takes to issue a license (after
          > they get yer $80)??
        • Jesse Stanley
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
            2-3 days

            I would like to know how long the FCC takes to issue a license (after
            they get yer $80)??

          • KEN B
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
              If you did it on line ,about 24 hours or less.

              Ken

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
                A friend got his issued in less then 24 hours...

                Jeff Wall wrote:

                > [:)] First just let me say HI!
                >
                >New to the group.
                >
                >I would like to know how long the FCC takes to issue a license (after
                >they get yer $80)??

              • Michael Fontana
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
                  Usually that day or the next.

                  Mike

                  Michael Fontana
                  611 Plantation Drive

                  Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the person
                  or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential,
                  proprietary and/or privileged materials. Any review, retransmission,
                  dissemination or other use, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
                  recipient is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please
                  contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.
                  chapter 119 and BPR Policy 7540.05}

                  I would like to know how long the FCC takes to issue a license (after
                  they get yer $80)??

                • Guy Bourdeau (K1GUY)
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
                    Mine was the next day.

                    Guy WQFM936 (GMRS) K1GUY (Ham)

                    I would like to know how long the FCC takes to issue a license (after
                    they get yer $80)??

                  • Walters
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
                      Hi,

                      They issue the license within a couple of days. You can check the online database for your callsign before you get the paper. I paid on 6/21 and the print date on the license was the 22nd.

                      Stan Walters
                      Shrewsbury PA
                      KB3NXM, WQFD736
                      NIMS IS-100, 700
                      York County REACT
                      abacuspc@...
                      http://abacuspc.hypermart.net
                      http://www.cafepress.com/sunscape
                      http://www.geocities.com/yorkcountyreact

                      I would like to know how long the FCC takes to issue a license (after
                      they get yer $80)??

                    • joel hill

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
                          Usually it takes a few weeks for the FCC to issue your license. You should check licensees in your town on the FCC database at wireless.fcc.gov/uls periodically because they sometimes post your license on the website before you receive it in the mail.

                          ltng92

                          ltng92@...

                          www.gmrs.net.tc
                          www.scanning.net.tc

                          GMRS Callsign: WQDC539

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 5, 2006
                            Welcome Jeff,

                            I've seen the license arrive in your mailbox in as little as three (3)
                            days. Usually a week is long enough.

                            thp

                            KAE7862

                            Jeff Wall wrote:

                            > [:)] First just let me say HI!
                            >
                            > New to the group.
                            >
                            > I would like to know how long the FCC takes to issue a license (after
                            > they get yer $80)??

                          • Kevin Kimmerling

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 6, 2006
                                I had to do mine via snail mail when the FCC just started working out the
                                bugs on the ULS. Took about a week or two. And that was when we only had to pay
                                $75.

                                Boy, how time flies...

                                73,
                                Ryan Seregow - WPUI299
                                Owner/Coordinator
                                Bay Area Repeater Net
                                San Jose, CA
                                http://www.geocities.com/bayarearepeaternet/

                              • kvsp1160@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 6, 2006
                                  Gatekeeper... or whatever your name is... Assuming you have a license:

                                  Definately stay away from the bubblepack radios that they sell in target and
                                  walmart stores. Not worth your money. Get a commercial-grade radio that can
                                  transmit on the GMRS only frequencies (462.550, 575, 600, 625, 650, 675, 700,
                                  725) (467.550, etc if TX on a repeater only). They may cost anywhere from $40 to
                                  well over $300 for either a handheld or mobile radio. And yes, there are base
                                  radios that you can buy, but they are not made specifically for GMRS. You'll
                                  need to program or tune them.

                                  How far can you talk? Depends on the location you're at. If you're in the
                                  city or on a mountain at 4,000 feet in elevation, using 4 watts or the full 50
                                  watts. What type of radio are you using? What kind of antenna does it have? If
                                  you're in the city using a 4 watt HT (handheld), you'd get about 1-3 miles
                                  roughly. If you're in the city using the full 50 on a mobile with a good antenna,
                                  consider a greater range of at least 8+ miles. However if you're on that
                                  mountain with any power, you'll definately get out farther... guaranteed!

                                  Don't know why you need a few people's messenger names when you can ask the
                                  entire group here of over 2,000 members. Now, not all 2,000 are going to reply,
                                  but a good many will help you out.

                                  Anything you need or if you have a question that you're stuck on... all you
                                  have to do is ask.

                                  73 (best wishes)!

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 6, 2006
                                    The ICOM IC-F21GM appears to be a nice GMRS handheld. It has the GMRS freqs in it already, no PC programming required. You select what you want to store in memory and it is repeater capable. I think I saw them at AES for $149 but somewhere else for 120. I saw one on ebay for under 100.00 so I bought it and am waiting for it to arrive. It has variable power settings of 4,2 and 1 watt. I'll report my experience once I play with it.