Re: [GMRS] Making heads and tails of radios

  • kvsp1160@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 1, 2005
      Geoff,

      I'm not sure I understand your first question, so I'll let it be. The second
      one with the "not allowed" pertains to operating a simplex unit to TX and RX
      on 467.xxx. It's not proper etiquette, and will conflict with any repeater in
      that area which may be on the same tone. Repeaters operate on the 467 band (RX
      on 467.xxx / TX on 462.xxx) From my understanding over the past 4-5 years of
      being on GMRS and over 10 years on radio comm in general, this is the way to do
      it.

      For those who need physical proof from the FCC, I've addeed a link which
      pertains to Part 95.29:
      http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/c
      fr_2004/octqtr/47cfr95.29.htm

      Hope it helps. 73,
      Ryan
      WPUI299
      San Jose, CA

    • will_210
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 1, 2005
        > 1)Suggestions of radio's. Since there are so many to choose from.

        I use a Yaesu VX-6R modded to broadcast in the GMRS range. My
        girlfriend uses a one of my bubble wrap Uniden GMRS680s, a fantastic
        little 2w radio that they don't make anymore (the things are tiny,
        which she wants -- why are all the new bubble wrap radios so huge?)
        She can fit the little Uniden in her purse and I can fit the VX-6R in
        my back pocket and we can talk at pretty much any distance we need to.
        Oh, and neither of us have licenses but I think the GMRS license is
        just a bullshit money grab for the FCC anyway. You don't even have to
        announce your callsign on the air. It's BS. I do have an amateur
        radio license.

        Anyway check out the VX-6R. It's around $250 and you can use it if you
        have a Tech license as well.
      • Maire-Radios
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
          if you are going to use GMRS freg. or any freg it should be done by the
          rules. One reason you could not get to use my repeater without a call sign.
          And if I am having problems with you and you don't have a call sign I would
          be the first to drop a dime on you.

          >> > 1)Suggestions of radio's. Since there are so many
          >> to choose from.
          >>
          >> I use a Yaesu VX-6R modded to broadcast in the GMRS
          >> range. My
          >> girlfriend uses a one of my bubble wrap Uniden
          >> GMRS680s, a fantastic
          >> little 2w radio that they don't make anymore (the
          >> things are tiny,
          >> which she wants -- why are all the new bubble wrap
          >> radios so huge?)
          >> She can fit the little Uniden in her purse and I can
          >> fit the VX-6R in
          >> my back pocket and we can talk at pretty much any
          >> distance we need to.
          >> Oh, and neither of us have licenses but I think the
          >> GMRS license is
          >> just a bullshit money grab for the FCC anyway. You
          >> don't even have to
          >> announce your callsign on the air. It's BS. I do
          >> have an amateur
          >> radio license.
          >>
          >> Anyway check out the VX-6R. It's around $250 and
          >> you can use it if you
          >> have a Tech license as well.
          >>

          > Hmmmm... let's find your amateur radio license. That
          > way we can get someone to locate you and your illegal
          > operation. You can get a $10,000 fine for illegal
          > GMRS operation AND lose your amateur license. I'd
          > like to help nail a ham! You guys think GMRS is some
          > playtoy you can abuse!
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joe Gore
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
            Might be able to get his name and address from Yahoo. Don't they do
            Bio's on customers?

          • E. Mikulic
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
              Not to mention that modifying a radio to TX where it is not FCC type
              certified is illegal.

              _____

              Might be able to get his name and address from Yahoo. Don't they do
              Bio's on customers?

              --- Maire-Radios <maire-radios@...> wrote:

              > if you are going to use GMRS freg. or any freg it should be done by
              > the
              > rules. One reason you could not get to use my repeater without a
              > call sign.
              > And if I am having problems with you and you don't have a call sign I
              > would
              > be the first to drop a dime on you.

              the web.

              _____

            • ka1jfy
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                And what do you mean " You don't even have to announce your callsign
                on the air"?????
                Just like your ham license requires you to ID, GMRS is required to.
                Just because you choose not to, doesn't mean it's not required.

                Walter

                --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "John L. Wilkerson Jr." <jlwilkers@s...>
                wrote:

                > --- will_210 <will_210@y...> wrote:
                >

                > > > 1)Suggestions of radio's. Since there are so many
                > > to choose from.
                > >
                > > I use a Yaesu VX-6R modded to broadcast in the GMRS
                > > range. My
                > > girlfriend uses a one of my bubble wrap Uniden
                > > GMRS680s, a fantastic
                > > little 2w radio that they don't make anymore (the
                > > things are tiny,
                > > which she wants -- why are all the new bubble wrap
                > > radios so huge?)
                > > She can fit the little Uniden in her purse and I can
                > > fit the VX-6R in
                > > my back pocket and we can talk at pretty much any
                > > distance we need to.
                > > Oh, and neither of us have licenses but I think the
                > > GMRS license is
                > > just a bullshit money grab for the FCC anyway. You
                > > don't even have to
                > > announce your callsign on the air. It's BS. I do
                > > have an amateur
                > > radio license.
                > >
                > > Anyway check out the VX-6R. It's around $250 and
                > > you can use it if you
                > > have a Tech license as well.
                > >

                > Hmmmm... let's find your amateur radio license. That
                > way we can get someone to locate you and your illegal
                > operation. You can get a $10,000 fine for illegal
                > GMRS operation AND lose your amateur license. I'd
                > like to help nail a ham! You guys think GMRS is some
                > playtoy you can abuse!

              • jeff daugherty
                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                  <Oh, and neither of us have licenses but I think the GMRS license is
                  just a bullshit money grab for the FCC anyway. You don't even have to
                  announce your callsign on the air. It's BS>

                  you must ID every 15 mins.. check the rules before you comment.

                  > > 1)Suggestions of radio's. Since there are so many to choose from.
                  >
                  > I use a Yaesu VX-6R modded to broadcast in the GMRS range. My
                  > girlfriend uses a one of my bubble wrap Uniden GMRS680s, a fantastic
                  > little 2w radio that they don't make anymore (the things are tiny,
                  > which she wants -- why are all the new bubble wrap radios so huge?)
                  > She can fit the little Uniden in her purse and I can fit the VX-6R in
                  > my back pocket and we can talk at pretty much any distance we need to.
                  > Oh, and neither of us have licenses but I think the GMRS license is
                  > just a bullshit money grab for the FCC anyway. You don't even have to
                  > announce your callsign on the air. It's BS. I do have an amateur
                  > radio license.
                  >
                  > Anyway check out the VX-6R. It's around $250 and you can use it if you
                  > have a Tech license as well.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Apollo VII REACT, Inc Team 4534
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                    i have a funny felling this Due got is License taking away by the FCC this
                    Due is way off Base.
                    > And what do you mean " You don't even have to announce your callsign
                    > on the air"?????
                    > Just like your ham license requires you to ID, GMRS is required to.
                    > Just because you choose not to, doesn't mean it's not required.
                    >
                    > Walter
                    >

                    > --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, "John L. Wilkerson Jr." <jlwilkers@s...>
                    > wrote:

                    >> > to choose from.
                    >> >
                    >> > I use a Yaesu VX-6R modded to broadcast in the GMRS
                    >> > range. My
                    >> > girlfriend uses a one of my bubble wrap Uniden
                    >> > GMRS680s, a fantastic
                    >> > little 2w radio that they don't make anymore (the
                    >> > things are tiny,
                    >> > which she wants -- why are all the new bubble wrap
                    >> > radios so huge?)
                    >> > She can fit the little Uniden in her purse and I can
                    >> > fit the VX-6R in
                    >> > my back pocket and we can talk at pretty much any
                    >> > distance we need to.
                    >> > Oh, and neither of us have licenses but I think the
                    >> > GMRS license is
                    >> > just a bullshit money grab for the FCC anyway. You
                    >> > don't even have to
                    >> > announce your callsign on the air. It's BS. I do
                    >> > have an amateur
                    >> > radio license.
                    >> >
                    >> > Anyway check out the VX-6R. It's around $250 and
                    >> > you can use it if you
                    >> > have a Tech license as well.
                    >> >

                    >> Hmmmm... let's find your amateur radio license. That
                    >> way we can get someone to locate you and your illegal
                    >> operation. You can get a $10,000 fine for illegal
                    >> GMRS operation AND lose your amateur license. I'd
                    >> like to help nail a ham! You guys think GMRS is some
                    >> playtoy you can abuse!
                    >>

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Craig
                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                      Allot of ham's are the worst offenders at
                      breaking the rules......

                      John L. Wilkerson Jr. wrote:

                      > --- will_210 <will_210@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > > 1)Suggestions of radio's. Since there are so many
                      > > to choose from.
                      > >
                      > > I use a Yaesu VX-6R modded to broadcast in the GMRS
                      > > range. My
                      > > girlfriend uses a one of my bubble wrap Uniden
                      > > GMRS680s, a fantastic
                      > > little 2w radio that they don't make anymore (the
                      > > things are tiny,
                      > > which she wants -- why are all the new bubble wrap
                      > > radios so huge?)
                      > > She can fit the little Uniden in her purse and I can
                      > > fit the VX-6R in
                      > > my back pocket and we can talk at pretty much any
                      > > distance we need to.
                      > > Oh, and neither of us have licenses but I think the
                      > > GMRS license is
                      > > just a bullshit money grab for the FCC anyway. You
                      > > don't even have to
                      > > announce your callsign on the air. It's BS. I do
                      > > have an amateur
                      > > radio license.
                      > >
                      > > Anyway check out the VX-6R. It's around $250 and
                      > > you can use it if you
                      > > have a Tech license as well.
                      > >

                      > Hmmmm... let's find your amateur radio license. That
                      > way we can get someone to locate you and your illegal
                      > operation. You can get a $10,000 fine for illegal
                      > GMRS operation AND lose your amateur license. I'd
                      > like to help nail a ham! You guys think GMRS is some
                      > playtoy you can abuse!

                      > Two way radio
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Two+way+radio&w1=Two+way+radio&w2=Satellite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater&c=6&s=114&.sig=uSwrULUacqGBn5nqt7eAqg>
                      > Satellite radio
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Satellite+radio&w1=Two+way+radio&w2=Satellite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater&c=6&s=114&.sig=dT1SnF26nurP0gECsmGnTQ>
                      > Gmrs
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gmrs&w1=Two+way+radio&w2=Satellite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater&c=6&s=114&.sig=IRqMtZ8qzqLKkQbMSTACUA>
                      >
                      > Family radio service
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Family+radio+service&w1=Two+way+radio&w2=Satellite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater&c=6&s=114&.sig=DaG8bsk3x5VUm_XC9l5ETA>
                      > Radio service
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Radio+service&w1=Two+way+radio&w2=Satellite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater&c=6&s=114&.sig=7OfYIBaWhIaUE0arfAniGg>
                      > Gmrs repeater
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gmrs+repeater&w1=Two+way+radio&w2=Satellite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater&c=6&s=114&.sig=Au4WhMN5glrrCIYW3qFHPQ>

                    • Bob
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                        John,

                        I am a ham and I have a great deal of respect for all of the radio
                        services and their various rules and regulations. I do not feel that
                        any radio service is a "playtoy", and I would venture to guess that
                        most hams feel the way I do. To be sure, we have our share of morons,
                        but I think you will find that they are less of a statistic for us
                        than for the general population. Please do not classify an entire
                        group of people because of the actions of a few bad apples.

                        Bob

                        KJ5IK
                        WQBD390

                        wrote:

                        > Hmmmm... let's find your amateur radio license. That
                        > way we can get someone to locate you and your illegal
                        > operation. You can get a $10,000 fine for illegal
                        > GMRS operation AND lose your amateur license. I'd
                        > like to help nail a ham! You guys think GMRS is some
                        > playtoy you can abuse!

                      • John L. Wilkerson Jr.
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                          On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:12:42 -0000, Bob wrote:
                          > John,
                          >
                          > I am a ham and I have a great deal of respect for all of the radio
                          > services and their various rules and regulations. I do not feel that
                          > any radio service is a "playtoy", and I would venture to guess that
                          > most hams feel the way I do. To be sure, we have our share of
                          > morons,
                          > but I think you will find that they are less of a statistic for us
                          > than for the general population. Please do not classify an entire
                          > group of people because of the actions of a few bad apples.

                          I am aware most amateur operators operate properly. My intention was
                          to demean the clod and everything he stood for. I go for maximum
                          shock against the enemy. It was not my intention to demean an entire
                          service and its operators. I am aware, locally, an amateur operator
                          has a GMRS repeater he uses as a playtoy, not using a GMRS call sign
                          and such. Regardless, I think highly of the amateur community.
                        • will_210
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                            Ah, you guys crack me up. I don't use "repeaters" on GMRS anyway,
                            and personally I think they should be banned. To me GMRS should be
                            essentially combined with FRS and licensed at $5 a year per family.
                            GMRS isn't hobby radio like most of the rubes here think it is. It's
                            designed for family members to talk to one another over their
                            property or on short excursions like to Disneyland. That's it. I
                            have an amateur radio license but I'll be the first to tell you that
                            it's when ham radio dorks start sticking their self-righteous noses
                            into things that everything goes downhill.

                            $160 to license me and my girlfriend so we can talk for 5 minutes
                            once every couple of months? Fuck that. That's ridiculous. I
                            follow the rules when they're not retarded.

                            And to those who want to "find out my call sign" and report me to the
                            FCC I say go ahead. I'd be happy to tell them what I think of their
                            organization. Of course that supposes that the FCC would give a
                            rat's ass, which they don't have the money to do at this point, but
                            whatever.

                            Later
                          • jeff daugherty
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                              NOT ALL HAMS are breaking the rules.
                              using Motorola MT 1000 99 Ch and also MT 1000
                              16 Ch. for GMRS USE Type accepted on GMRS.
                              and also use on 70cm on ham band that requires NO type acceptance.

                              Jeff
                              W0NWA
                              WPTT-519
                              > Allot of ham's are the worst offenders at
                              > breaking the rules......
                              >

                              > John L. Wilkerson Jr. wrote:

                              > > > to choose from.
                              > > >
                              > > > I use a Yaesu VX-6R modded to broadcast in the GMRS
                              > > > range. My
                              > > > girlfriend uses a one of my bubble wrap Uniden
                              > > > GMRS680s, a fantastic
                              > > > little 2w radio that they don't make anymore (the
                              > > > things are tiny,
                              > > > which she wants -- why are all the new bubble wrap
                              > > > radios so huge?)
                              > > > She can fit the little Uniden in her purse and I can
                              > > > fit the VX-6R in
                              > > > my back pocket and we can talk at pretty much any
                              > > > distance we need to.
                              > > > Oh, and neither of us have licenses but I think the
                              > > > GMRS license is
                              > > > just a bullshit money grab for the FCC anyway. You
                              > > > don't even have to
                              > > > announce your callsign on the air. It's BS. I do
                              > > > have an amateur
                              > > > radio license.
                              > > >
                              > > > Anyway check out the VX-6R. It's around $250 and
                              > > > you can use it if you
                              > > > have a Tech license as well.
                              > > >

                              > > Hmmmm... let's find your amateur radio license. That
                              > > way we can get someone to locate you and your illegal
                              > > operation. You can get a $10,000 fine for illegal
                              > > GMRS operation AND lose your amateur license. I'd
                              > > like to help nail a ham! You guys think GMRS is some
                              > > playtoy you can abuse!

                              > > Two way radio

                              lite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater
                              &c=6&s=114&.sig=uSwrULUacqGBn5nqt7eAqg>
                              > > Satellite radio

                              ellite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeat
                              er&c=6&s=114&.sig=dT1SnF26nurP0gECsmGnTQ>
                              > > Gmrs

                              o&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater&c=6&s=11
                              4&.sig=IRqMtZ8qzqLKkQbMSTACUA>

                              > > Family radio service

                              2=Satellite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+r
                              epeater&c=6&s=114&.sig=DaG8bsk3x5VUm_XC9l5ETA>
                              > > Radio service

                              lite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater
                              &c=6&s=114&.sig=7OfYIBaWhIaUE0arfAniGg>
                              > > Gmrs repeater

                              lite+radio&w3=Gmrs&w4=Family+radio+service&w5=Radio+service&w6=Gmrs+repeater
                              &c=6&s=114&.sig=Au4WhMN5glrrCIYW3qFHPQ>

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • jeff daugherty
                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 2, 2005
                                sounds like one of the new "no coders?"

                              • kvsp1160@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 4, 2005
                                  Somebody get this guy off of here. I've been too insulted by this guy to read
                                  the rest of his email. And to think he can make judgement against our
                                  community and the rules that the FCC has posted for us, has gone too far.

                                  will_210:

                                  The GMRS community Is Not a hobby. GMRS is licensed for a reason. We are here
                                  to serve communication needs for our family, long-distance community events,
                                  emergency needs, and group gatherings to help serve other GMRS communities
                                  with their needs. GMRS is not here to find projects to bsee who can build the
                                  biggest radio, communicate with others in other countries, or to see who can be
                                  contacted with CQ or QSO. The GMRS community is simple here as a community.

                                  With that said, we are very proud and supportive with our equipment and
                                  quality that we have with our communicatons. We don't want to be joined with FRS,
                                  nor do we want our licensing fees downgraded to $5 per year. It's like saying
                                  heck with GMRS and let's go CB again! Not at all. There are more people and
                                  communities across the US that own and operate repeater systems, emergency
                                  groups, assist police, fire, and EMT's, and have no regrets of paying that $80 for
                                  their license.

                                  Whatever your problem is, or if you have a certain hate or guilt against
                                  GMRS, please take it elsewhere. If you have a question about your radio, or need
                                  help with some equipment, we are here to help. But not to handle low
                                  self-esteem or hatred against GMRS and why it's here.

                                  We'd be more than happy to give you contact information to the FCC if you
                                  have problems with that. But PLEASE DO NOT Take it out on us. We don't have the
                                  answers you're looking for.

                                  73,
                                  Ryan
                                  WPUI299
                                  San Jose, CA

                                • Bill
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                    Can't ya feel the LOOOOOOOOOVE spreading here!! Are some of the
                                    members here from Kalifornia!? Let's see,if I remember, these heated
                                    discussions were the result of "nonacceptance" type radios? By todays
                                    standards that word is meaningless, except if your are an FCC agent.
                                    As a licensed ham radio operator, if I build a radio from scratch is
                                    it accepted as meeting a particular "part" of a regulation. My guess
                                    is that it would not be nearly as clean as a commerically made radio
                                    yet I can use it! If one wanted to use a modified radio to work in
                                    another band and it was clean and didn't create mushy harmonics, ets,
                                    who's going to know. If it does, I believe the community would kick
                                    his hairy butt into another hobby. If not, then that's our fault. Come
                                    on children! Just because the speed limit on an Interstate Highway
                                    says 65 MPH do we all drive at that speed. Noooooooooooo. So all you
                                    regulatory hacks out there, it's okay to repeat the rules and regs but
                                    let's not get pissy about it.

                                    Here are my call signs.

                                    Bill
                                    KC4YIH/WQAF996
                                    New Port Richey, FL

                                    wrote:

                                    > On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 22:20:49 EST, kvsp1160@a... wrote:
                                    > > Somebody get this guy off of here. I've been too insulted by this
                                    > > guy to read
                                    > >
                                    > > the rest of his email. And to think he can make judgement against
                                    > > our
                                    > > community and the rules that the FCC has posted for us, has gone
                                    > > too far.
                                    > >
                                    > > will_210:
                                    > >
                                    > Yes, I agree. The freak needs removed from this group.

                                  • John
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                      On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 14:11:21 -0000, Bill wrote:

                                      > who's going to know. If it does, I believe the community would kick

                                      Community? The guy has no GMRS license. As such, he is NOT PART of
                                      the GMRS community.
                                    • will_210
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                        Hey dude, it was you guys who started the assault. I'm just
                                        defending myself from your unprovoked attacks. If you look at my
                                        original post I was responding to a guy who asked what type of radio
                                        to use. I told him what I and my girlfriend use, and one of them
                                        happens to be a ham radio modded to broadcast on the GMRS freqs. I
                                        also suggested to the guy that he not bother with the BS $80 FCC
                                        money-grab license.

                                        That's when you all started acting like sociopaths with ad hominem
                                        attacks up the wazoo. Instead of offering intelligent counter-
                                        arguments as to why the FCC license isn't bullshit, you just say
                                        essentially "you suck" which is hardly an argument.

                                        Anyhow, you guys, if you don't already, should get your ham tickets.
                                        You respond to criticism EXACTLY the way the ham community does.
                                        You'd fit right in.

                                        Furthermore, individual FAMILIES are the GMRS "community." Not a
                                        bunch of dudes. Join amateur radio. Let me and my girlfriend and
                                        our families use the FRS/GMRS freqs in the way we want to.

                                        --- In GMRS@yahoogroups.com, kvsp1160@a... wrote:

                                        > Somebody get this guy off of here. I've been too insulted by this
                                        guy to read
                                        > the rest of his email. And to think he can make judgement against
                                        our
                                        > community and the rules that the FCC has posted for us, has gone
                                        too far.

                                        > will_210:
                                        >
                                        > The GMRS community Is Not a hobby. GMRS is licensed for a reason.
                                        We are here
                                        > to serve communication needs for our family, long-distance
                                        community events,
                                        > emergency needs, and group gatherings to help serve other GMRS
                                        communities
                                        > with their needs. GMRS is not here to find projects to bsee who can
                                        build the
                                        > biggest radio, communicate with others in other countries, or to
                                        see who can be
                                        > contacted with CQ or QSO. The GMRS community is simple here as a
                                        community.

                                        > With that said, we are very proud and supportive with our equipment
                                        and
                                        > quality that we have with our communicatons. We don't want to be
                                        joined with FRS,
                                        > nor do we want our licensing fees downgraded to $5 per year. It's
                                        like saying
                                        > heck with GMRS and let's go CB again! Not at all. There are more
                                        people and
                                        > communities across the US that own and operate repeater systems,
                                        emergency
                                        > groups, assist police, fire, and EMT's, and have no regrets of
                                        paying that $80 for
                                        > their license.
                                        >
                                        > Whatever your problem is, or if you have a certain hate or guilt
                                        against
                                        > GMRS, please take it elsewhere. If you have a question about your
                                        radio, or need
                                        > help with some equipment, we are here to help. But not to handle
                                        low
                                        > self-esteem or hatred against GMRS and why it's here.
                                        >
                                        > We'd be more than happy to give you contact information to the FCC
                                        if you
                                        > have problems with that. But PLEASE DO NOT Take it out on us. We
                                        don't have the
                                        > answers you're looking for.
                                        >
                                        > 73,
                                        > Ryan
                                        > WPUI299
                                        > San Jose, CA

                                      • John
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                          --- will_210 <will_210@...> wrote:

                                          > Hey dude, it was you guys who started the assault.
                                          > I'm just
                                          > defending myself from your unprovoked attacks.

                                          The attacks were provoked. You are an unlicensed GMRS
                                          user and are blatantly disregarding the regulations.

                                          If
                                          > you look at my
                                          > original post I was responding to a guy who asked
                                          > what type of radio
                                          > to use. I told him what I and my girlfriend use,
                                          > and one of them
                                          > happens to be a ham radio modded to broadcast on the
                                          > GMRS freqs.

                                          Yes.. in violation of FCC regulations.

                                          >I also suggested to the guy that he not bother with
                                          > the BS $80 FCC
                                          > money-grab license.

                                          Also in violation of regulations.

                                          > That's when you all started acting like sociopaths
                                          > with ad hominem
                                          > attacks up the wazoo. Instead of offering
                                          > intelligent counter-
                                          > arguments as to why the FCC license isn't bullshit,

                                          Not our place to agree or disagree. It is our place
                                          to comply with regulations. I think $80 is steep.
                                          Not a small chnk of change by any means, yet is
                                          required, so I paid.

                                          > you just say
                                          > essentially "you suck" which is hardly an argument.

                                          It is a good argument. If you use GMRS without a
                                          license, you *do* suck.

                                          > Anyhow, you guys, if you don't already, should get
                                          > your ham tickets.

                                          Yes... and if we do, we'd follow the regulations for
                                          amateur radio.

                                          > You respond to criticism EXACTLY the way the ham
                                          > community does.
                                          > You'd fit right in.

                                          I'd do nothing to be criticised for. *I* follow the
                                          rules.

                                          > Furthermore, individual FAMILIES are the GMRS
                                          > "community."

                                          No... licensed users are the GMRS comunity. These
                                          consist of families.... but they are LICENSED!

                                          > Not a
                                          > bunch of dudes. Join amateur radio. Let me and my
                                          > girlfriend and
                                          > our families use the FRS/GMRS freqs in the way we
                                          > want to.

                                          You *can* use them the way you want them to. As long
                                          as you follow the regulations.
                                        • Maire-Radios
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                            we have about 12 or more licenses we pay for and feel it is the way it is
                                            set up and we go by the rules. At one time there was another in the area
                                            that was the same about not having any licenses. He had a ham one at one
                                            time but not use if any other as he did not like the FCC. Well after a
                                            number of fines and warnings and he kept it up one day the FCC and the US
                                            Marshals show up at his house at 6 AM. Well they took it all even his
                                            tower. Have not heard or seen him in a number of years. (maybe it is
                                            will_210 with a new indemnity)

                                            Well that is how it was here and we do play by the FCC rules.

                                          • kvsp1160@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                              Someone's got an attention attitude... Must still be in high school...

                                            • kvsp1160@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                                See, now I think I found the problem...

                                                Lemme quote some text from "will_210" for you:

                                                "as to why the FCC license isn't bull****, you just say
                                                essentially "you suck" which is hardly an argument."

                                                "individual FAMILIES are the GMRS "community."  Not a
                                                bunch of dudes."

                                                "Let me and my girlfriend and our families use the FRS/GMRS
                                                freqs in the way we want to."

                                                And here's the solution:

                                                - Most and many of us do not use modified ham radios for our GMRS equipment.
                                                Those that do, don't go bragging about it. We tend to report them anyways...

                                                - Licenses are there for a reason. Doesn't matter how much a person pays,
                                                it's the reason that they're paying that matters. Talk with the FCC about that.

                                                - Don't like cussing here, especially to the FCC. Not a good idea. Kinda
                                                makes the group look bad.

                                                - There are guys and girls here on this group. And we are a part of our own
                                                family and one big family which makes it a community and a group to start with.
                                                Which is one of the reasons why GMRS still exists.

                                                - Using GMRS the way you want, and not the way the FCC intended to is wrong.

                                                Will, just because we complain about you and what you say, doesn't mean we're
                                                perfect. We've been here long enough to have seen more "whatever" than you
                                                have and we're pretty tired of it. Yes, we can leave the group and GMRS, but
                                                we'd rather not because there's a reason why. I'm sorry that it seemed like we
                                                got on your case, but you did tend to point some fingers at us too. And that
                                                doesn't make it right.

                                                A community doesn't have to be a group of families. It can be anyone who
                                                loves working together with others on the same type of project, which forms a
                                                small group that coordinates ideas and systems, then forms into a community where
                                                we discuss problems, solutions, and other issues about our given subject:
                                                GMRS. The GMRS group doesn't always bicker about rules or people joining the group
                                                with wrong ideas. We also talk about marketing issues, storm emergencies,
                                                equipment solutions, and help those who are becoming interested in the GMRS
                                                community.

                                                That's how this group became a group of 100 to over 2,000. And most of us
                                                just read the topics and get involved in their own way. Others join in the
                                                discussions and help out as well. However it works out, and whatever the reason is,
                                                we are here to help. And we certanly don't mean to get on each others cases.
                                                But it does happen once in a while. Just like in a real family.

                                                So please take my apologee, don't add to the arguement, and start a new
                                                topic. We're both wrong. So we'll start over and take the good knowledge that we
                                                have and find a solution from that.

                                                73,
                                                Ryan
                                                WPUI299
                                                San Jose, CA
                                                (member of this group since 2001)

                                              • Joe Gore
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Nov 5, 2005
                                                  I think what this group is trying to say is that this list wants to
                                                  give legal technical advice and support to those using the GMRS band.
                                                  The simple thing to do would be just to disallow your posts to come
                                                  thru. I guess we are not moderated.(if we were this probably wouldn't
                                                  get thru) Perhaps you can find a list that will welcome a free spirit,
                                                  shoot from the hip, wild and crazy kind of guy(long for a$%#ole) such
                                                  as yourself to give advice.
                                                  Anyway I have a few questions you might answer:
                                                  What's a hominem?
                                                  What's a sociopath's wazoo got to do with it.
                                                  Why DO you suck?
                                                  What have you got against freaks?

                                                  These are not radio questions so bad advice won't hurt anyone.
                                                  Joe
                                                  KB1LPG
                                                  WQBD580

                                                • Chris