Re: [GMRS] Radio Shack 19-903 GMRS HT's

  • Reed Andrew
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2005
      Besides the hand held radios, are there portables or base type radios?

      Andrew

      kvsp1160@... wrote:
      I honestly enjoy listening to people with questions or problems with their
      equipment and the such... But having rat shack tell us that this radio, made for
      GMRS, can go 5+ miles?

      I hate it when people are bought into advertisements. 5 watts or not, unless
      you're in the sahara desert, it will never go 5+ miles. Sure if you're on a
      mountain top, but normally most people living in the US don't own a mountain top
      to try.

      Redfox:
      Have you ever used these radios, or are you trying to sell them "new"? What
      is the exact range of the radios, not the advertised range.

      I appreciate that you wrote to us on here to sell your radio, but if you can
      include more accurate information, that would be great. Most bubblepack radios
      (whether radio shack or not) with a rating of 5 watts, only tend to go no
      farther than 1 mile in the city, maybe 2 on the highway, but in all the years
      that I've used GMRS on 5w, have never seen it go more than 2 miles. Unless you're
      using a repeater, which may have a pre-amp and receiving system of some kind.

      If I sound "off it" or seem rude, I'm not really, nor am I really this way in
      general. But waking up after a long sleepless night could make a person sound
      that way. =c) I wish you the best luck and hope that you do sell your
      radio. There's also a group on yahoo that deals specifically with equipment
      offered for sale or that is wanted (radios4sale). I'd try there as well.

      Now if you have any questions on why a 5w radio would only go 2 miles, then
      we would be happy to help you as well...

      73's,
      Ryan
      WPUI299
      San Jose, CA

      2-way radio Two way radio Satellite radio Gmrs Family radio service Gmrs repeater

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2005
        Sure there are. Icom, Kenwood, Motorola, and Ritron all make great mobile
        radios that fall under Part 95.

        As for Base radios, there is one company, called Audiovox, that makes a base
        GMRS/FRS/WX (weather) radio, but does not allow the user to TX on duplex
        frequencies for GMRS.

        Most people use mobile units and add a power amp to boost their signals to
        50w TPO (transmitting power output) and then add a base antenna to their system.
        I have a system that's portable, which uses a mobile Icom FR-21-460, a 35
        watt power amp, and a Hustler G6-462-3 base antenna (3dB gain). I also have a
        tripod and masts to add extra height to the antenna. For coax, I use RG-8 and run
        no more than 50 feet, or RG-58 at 25 feet.

        Depends on what application you use with your system, there are a wide
        variety of equipment and arrangements that are available for the licensed user for
        GMRS.

        Did I cover it all? As for prices, it ranges widely from $85 to well over
        $1500, but again depends upon the applications, arrangements, and type of
        equipment.

        73's,
        Ryan
        WPUI299
        San Jose, CA

      • Leef R.K.
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2005
          Add to the list Midland's Olympian Series of mobiles. The MO-4032 will be an especially good one when it comes out this month (finally). with 32 channels, 45 watts, and MANY user programmable features at $289.

          Bob