Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Need your help...Mysterious white bumps just under skin

  • Gail Samples
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2 4:25 AM
      I THINK they are some sort of calcium deposits. I rememer reading (years
      ago) about them in an article about skin care. I've had one or two, they
      stayed for years, eventually, they came off on their own.

      gail
      From: claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>
      Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 19:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
      To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Need your help...Mysterious white bumps
      just under skin

      I don't recall hearing anything about these, but if someone knows
      something I'd like to know too. I have these too, around my eyes. The
      are very small, and hard. Not too noticable. Once I asked my doctor
      what it was and she told me to ask my Dermatologist (whom I already
      had an appointment with). I was in to have a type of mole removed
      that has a high incidence of turning into malignant melanoma (my Dad
      had it happen to him, same type of mole), so that was really the only
      thing on her mind. I asked, she said it was nothing and she'd remove
      it, which she did. With a needle, and it didn't feel too good. It was
      on my eyelid. Later I was picking at another one and it just came
      off. It was a tiny white hard 'ball'. I have no idea what these
      things are.
      --- Arkhepcgal@... wrote:
      > Does anyone recall seeing an email/article on little white bumps
      > just under
      > the skin all over the face? They don't really look like a pimple
      > and are not

      http://health.yahoo.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Lonnie Williamson
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2 8:39 AM
        You might try bag balm and see if it helps. About 4
        weeks into treatment, I got all sorts of
        dermatological problems and found relief from the
        majority of it with bag balm.
        Regards
        --- claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>
        wrote:
        > I don't recall hearing anything about these, but if
        > someone knows
        > something I'd like to know too. I have these too,
        > around my eyes. The
        > are very small, and hard. Not too noticable. Once I
        > asked my doctor
        > what it was and she told me to ask my Dermatologist
        > (whom I already
        > had an appointment with). I was in to have a type of
        > mole removed
        > that has a high incidence of turning into malignant
        > melanoma (my Dad
        > had it happen to him, same type of mole), so that
        > was really the only
        > thing on her mind. I asked, she said it was nothing
        > and she'd remove
        > it, which she did. With a needle, and it didn't feel
        > too good. It was
        > on my eyelid. Later I was picking at another one and
        > it just came
        > off. It was a tiny white hard 'ball'. I have no idea
        > what these
        > things are.

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • lavhatu
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2 8:49 AM
          The little white bumps under the skin and especially on the eyelids
          are probably Xanthomas.
          Xanthomas occur on the eye lids, usually on both sides. They are
          yellow, soft, and slightly raised bumps. Xanthomas are fairly common
          on the eyelids. Xanthomas are made of cholesterol deposits.
          Sometimes xanthomas can occur suddenly on other areas of the body.
          These are called eruptive xanthomas and are a sign that blood fat
          levels are too high. If one gets eruptive xanthomas a physician
          should be consulted as soon as possible.

          Causes:
          The cause of xanthomas on the eyelids is not known. Xanthomas are
          not contagious nor are they harmful.
          Eruptive xanthomas are caused by elevated blood triglyceride levels.

          Treatment:

          A skin biopsy is not needed for the diagnosis of xanthomas. The
          doctor can diagnose eyelid xanthomas by visual inspection. A skin
          biopsy is usually preformed if the doctor suspects eruptive
          xanthomas.

          Plasma lipid studies should be checked if you have xanthomas, as 33%
          of the men and 40% of women with xanthomas on the eyelids have
          elevated cholesterol levels. All people with eruptive xanthomas
          have elevated blood triglyceride levels.

          Eruptive xanthomas are treated by dietary fat restriction and
          prescription medication.

          Treatment of eyelid xanthomas is not necessary. They are usually
          only treated for cosmetic reasons.

          Eyelid lesions can be treated by your Dermatologist .

          --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@y..., claudine intexas
          <claudineintexas@y...> wrote:
          > I don't recall hearing anything about these, but if someone knows
          > something I'd like to know too. I have these too, around my eyes.
          The
          > are very small, and hard. Not too noticable. Once I asked my doctor
          > what it was and she told me to ask my Dermatologist (whom I already
          > had an appointment with). I was in to have a type of mole removed
          > that has a high incidence of turning into malignant melanoma (my
          Dad
          > had it happen to him, same type of mole), so that was really the
          only
          > thing on her mind. I asked, she said it was nothing and she'd
          remove
          > it, which she did. With a needle, and it didn't feel too good. It
          was
          > on my eyelid. Later I was picking at another one and it just came
          > off. It was a tiny white hard 'ball'. I have no idea what these
          > things are.
          > --- Arkhepcgal@a... wrote:
          > > Does anyone recall seeing an email/article on little white bumps
          > > just under
          > > the skin all over the face? They don't really look like a pimple
          > > and are not

          > http://health.yahoo.com
        • Doc
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2 9:03 AM
            Hi all,
            Youre right on here. These xanthomas usually indicate that you may have elevated lipid levels esp triglycerides.
            There is no specific treatment to make them go away either.

            Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

            Message 5 of 10 , May 2 6:38 PM
              Well, I don't think MINE are xanthomas then. Mine are very white (the
              actual material - skin over it is normal) and very hard. And my
              cholesteral is great too, so it must be something else. Maybe calcium
              deposits??
              --- lavhatu <lavhatu@...> wrote:

              > Xanthomas occur on the eye lids, usually on both sides. They are
              > yellow, soft, and slightly raised bumps. Xanthomas are fairly
              > common
              > on the eyelids. Xanthomas are made of cholesterol deposits.

              http://health.yahoo.com
            • Patricia Jean
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2 9:06 PM
                How does the liver work in causing or contributing to high triglycerides?

                I've always had high triglycerides, but good cholesterol (the right good and
                bad) and my blood sugar levels are good. It's tuff to get those
                triglycerides low!

                alley
              • Gail Samples
                Message 7 of 10 , May 3 3:58 AM
                  I don't think mine were xnthomas either-as my cholesterol/lipid
                  profile/triglyceride levels were as my GP said 'superior'. I think mine
                  were the calcium deposits I wrote of earlier.

                  Yes, the mail delivery is skewed on my computer too. I am always ending up
                  with a couple new mails down in the already read section.

                  gail

                  From: claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>
                  Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 18:38:27 -0700 (PDT)
                  To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com