Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis]

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2002
      Franz

      Congratulations on being undetectable. You are the only other one
      except for me that's mentioned being monitored every 6 months for liver
      cancer. Since we have cirrhosis, that is a very important thing to be
      done. Good doc you have.

      Carol

      Franz Martin wrote:

      > Hi Alley! I was diagnosed in 1999 after a routine
      > physical exam showed slightly elevated ALTs. My doctor decided to
      > check for hepatitis and found C. A biopsy showed cirrhosis! My viral
      > load was between 1 and 2 million. I had genotype 2. It seems likely
      > that I was infected over 20 years ago, and during those intervening
      > years I was a social drinker, moderate amounts, but almost every day
      > -- that may account for the cirrhosis. I responded very well to
      > treatment. They kept me on for 48 weeks because of the cirrhosis and
      > for being male, over 50, they thought my chances were not so good with
      > only 6 months. I think it was having the "good" genotype that really
      > made the difference. I finished treatment in late 2000. Six months and
      > 12 months post treatment I was still undetectable. From now on, they
      > will test once per year. My doctor says his main concern no
      > So, tomorrow I get an ultrasound of my liver (they're going to do that
      > every year) and in six months blood tests for alpha-fetoprotein (a
      > liver cancer marker). That will also be repeated annually from now
      > on. I feel like I'm getting the attention I need and have resumed a
      > completely normal life, for me, minus the alcohol.
      >
      > Take care all.

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      [Click Here!]

    • better_be_incognito
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2002
        --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@y..., Carol <csean@s...> wrote:
        > You are the only other one except for me that's mentioned being
        monitored every 6 months for liver
        > cancer. Since we have cirrhosis, that is a very important thing to
        be done.

        The list owners of a hepatitis group suggested that my sons get
        ultrasound and AFP done yearly since they have had hepatitis nearly
        their whole lives, even though they don't have cirrhosis. Doc, you
        agreed with that, too, didn't you?
      • Doc
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2002
          I agree.You must monitor AFP and US for liver on a yearly basis.

          Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG