Handicapped Sticker

  • srw1954@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2000
      Hi Elizabeth and everyone,
      I started on combo back in October and have 4 weeks left to go. Unlike most
      people, my side effects didn't start to lessen until 3 months into treatment,
      and then the only difference was a little bit more stamina and energy at
      times. Some things got worse, like my dry skin and thinning hair.
      Unfortunately, in mid-February, I got hit with an intestinal bug that took
      two weeks to go away...on top of my "usual" side effects....needless to say I
      was in pretty bad shape. Now, I'm still not back to where I was prior to
      getting that bug because it drained me so. Anyway, that's just a little of
      my treatment history. At least the 3 month viral load test came back
      non-detectable!
      As far as getting a handicapped sticker....I say go for it!!! I finally got
      one in early January, and wish I had at the beginning (I guess I kept hoping
      I'd start feeling better and wouldn't need it). I couldn't at the beginning
      of treatment, and still can't walk a block that has any kind of uphill grade,
      even it's slight, without going very slowly, getting very weak and winded. I
      live in California and I got the form from our Dept. of Motor Vehicles'
      website, sent it to my doctor and asked him to sign it and return it to me,
      then I took it into a DMV office, paid about $10, and they gave me a
      temporary disability placard to hang from my rearview mirror that's good for
      6 months. If you have a permanent disability then you only have to have it
      renewed every two years. You can park for unlimited time in any "blue"
      handicapped space, any green curb space (which usually is limited time
      parking, like 10 or 15 minutes max), and any meter (without paying). You
      can't park in red, white or yellow curbs.
      This may all be different if you're in a different state, but get the
      information and make the decision yourself. It's really been worth it for me.
      Take care,
      Sara
      SRW1954@...
      (I won't have access to email for the next 10 days, so I won't be able to
      respond right away if you right me back).