Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Digest Number 63

  • byteme
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 5, 2000
      Dear Suzy:
      The side effects almost always do change, and usually to the better.
      Its easier to say for people who "been there and done that", but it
      really is true. My wife is starting her LAST 8 weeks of therapy and she
      has had some very good, and very bad days. That si shwy I suggest
      focusing on something positive to get you through the bad ones. You just
      have to keep believing it will work for you and that is your goal.
      Also, since my wife started the combo, she still remains
      undetectable, so, although we do not know what the future will actually
      be, you need to always be thankful for the small things. Keep us
      informed as to your progress. A year from now, you may still remember
      how it made you feel, but, you'll be done with the therapy under any
      circumstances. Marty
    • Suzy Balone
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 10, 2000
        Marty,

        Thanks for the words of encouragement, I certainly need them, one week
        down, figured i'd give it a month and reevaluate, figure anyone can endure
        something for that long, have always drank lots of water , perhaps thats
        helped but even I am getting tired of drinking,, the nausea is really bad,
        kept waiting for it to subside but it hasn't so I called to see if I could
        get some compazine or something, have lost about 7 lbs. not all in the
        last week, but I am still eating just get full so fast and lots of things
        dont taste good, luckily I can stand to lose a few lbs just not my idea of
        losing, plus I always put on about 10 lbs in th e winter,, cold
        weather, hibernation and all that, I am trying to hang in there and not as
        bad in some aspects as I thought but then at other times it feels unbearable
        I was glad i found these sites before i started and knew some of the
        things I do because all your little suggestions have proved enormously
        helpful. well I've got to go visit a friend in the hosp. Did you find a
        new job yet.. thank you once again

        Suzy

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 10, 2000
          Hopefully you and your wife will be able to sail through the last 8 weeks of
          therapy, What a year you've had, I'm praying for you and your wife to help
          make it through as i've done frequently for everyone withthis disease.

          Suzy

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 10, 2000
            Suzy

            Hang in there girl and like Marty said stay positive about this treatment and
            that it is going to work for you as hard as it is to take. Seems like the
            six month stage has made my husband sides alittle better either that or he is
            just getting used to it. He is asleep right now after having a very bad day
            yesterday and last night so like Marty said you have some really bad days and
            some good days so focus of the good days and smile and be grateful for those
            when they come around. You have a long way to go and you will find a way to
            deal with it - its your hope of putting the dragon to sleep remember that and
            stay positive that you are going to do that. Your in our prayers wishing
            there was more we could do to help you and every one out there. Staying
            positive!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

            Winne
          • Suzy Balone
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 11, 2000
              winnie

              Thanks for the words of encouragement , it certainly is nice conversing with
              people that have been through the same thing that you are going through. I
              try to keep a positive attitude,, along with finding humor in things and
              praying a lot, for everyone that has this dreaded disease, at times like
              now when i have a killer headache i cant seem to get rid of, its hard but I
              will hang in there. Any suggestions for the headache??
              Suzy

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 11, 2000
                Hi Suzy, ice really works on me head when it hurts real bad and nothing
                else works. I am going throw this crying all the time. I am not a cryier
                either. It takes a lot for me to cry. I feel so stupid. Have you had
                anything like this happen to you? I even call my son in Fl. to see if he
                can ge me out of this mood. I live in Calif. I don't know what I was
                thinking. I don't want to worry my family. They are so good to me. God
                Bless Jessie

                EZ-DOES IT
              • Claudine Crews
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 11, 2000
                  Dear Jessie,
                  Just thought I'd get my two cents worth in!
                  I'd personally have to call those crying spells just about normal
                  during combo. I was on for a year, and I think I alternated between crying
                  over nothing/everything (couldn't EVEN watch those St. Jude Hospital
                  commercials) and biting everyone around me's head off! I was extremely
                  irritable. Mood swings.
                  If it gets too bad look into an antidepressant. It could make a BIG
                  difference in how you feel.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 11, 2000
                    To Claudine, I am all ready on one. I thought being on Paxill I would
                    not go throw the crying. I try to keep my head busy I read go to doll
                    school, still work 3 days a week. I don't know why I am going on like
                    this tonight. I have e-mailed more tonight than ever before. I am just
                    glad some one is here that has been throw what I am going throw. God
                    Bless Jessie

                    EZ-DOES IT
                  • RLWINNE@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 12, 2000
                      Suzy

                      Good to hear you are staying positive and the headache is the one thing that
                      you just have to give into - fluids do help my husband some with that but
                      when he gets the kind you have he has to roll with it and usually lays down
                      for the day and keeps reminding himself that it will be better maybe not that
                      day but usually the next. He does take Vicoprofen which is a pain pill the
                      doctor has given him which helps with all the joint pains but not much with
                      the headache. sorry can't be more help with that. The vicoprofen doesn't
                      have tylenol in it so he can take it are you on any kind of pain meds yet?
                      There are some that you can take that aren't as bad on the liver as some.
                      Your right about the humor part its hard but we do find humor in some of this
                      also - you have to or you would give up and you can't be doing that!!!! We
                      laugh a lot about the confusion this treatment causes - I'll ask him to
                      remind me of something and he just looks at me like sure. We have done it
                      and so can you - when you need a break you just have to take it and not feel
                      bad about it - its all part of the treatment - remember that. We're still
                      looking at 6 months on the treatment. You hang in there and keep me posted
                      on how you are doing and if we can help you with anything we are here.
                      Staying positive like you are!! Your in our prayers Suzy - hang in there -
                      you can do this!!!!

                      Winne
                    • DIANSA@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 13, 2000
                        Dear Suzy:

                        Hang in there! The appetite will probably get better after the first
                        month....It did for me....I'm just finishing 5 months of combo now....Have
                        lost 17 pounds and never had one day of nausea! I make sure I have a
                        smoothie with soy protein powder in it every day (almost!) and then at least
                        I've had something good....I try to make what I do eat
                        nourishing...reasonably so, anyway.....not a fanatic, but when you're not
                        eating a lot, you want what you do eat to count....
                        It will get better! I promise! diane
                      • DIANSA@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 13, 2000
                          Dear Jessie:

                          The other day I was in a restaurant with my 17 year old daughter....we were
                          having a nice time and then this old lady in a wheel chair, who was sitting
                          with 3 other people, spilled her drink on the table and you could tell she
                          felt so terrible....everyone was so sweet to her.....I burst into tears! My
                          17 year old thought I was funny and she giggled at me....I was laughing and
                          crying at the same time....I felt so silly....but some things just make me
                          cry...I decided it's okay to cry....that's one thing I've learned on this
                          treatment....Crying isn't necessarily something you're supposed to stop
                          yourself from doing.....we've feeling weak, vulnerable, sensitive to our own
                          and other peoples' feelings, and mayabe, just maybe, we're learning
                          compassion....it's okay to feel sad.....I always feel much better after a
                          good cry! Take care, Diane
                        • Suzy Balone
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 15, 2000
                            Jessie,

                            Yup the crying spells have started also, seems like it doesn't have to be
                            anything and i cry, havent cried for a long time and seems strange to feel
                            like doing so at the drop of a pin. will try ice as I have another headache
                            today. worse than before. Really am not crying a whole lot yet but several
                            times in the last week, hang in there and God Bless
                            Suzy

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 15, 2000
                              Diane,

                              Appetite has improved some but still get full very fast could it be the ton
                              of water I'm drinking? lol good thing I like water but even I am getting
                              tired of it, ty to drink at least a gallon and yesterday seems like 2 gal
                              figured it might help with the headache I was experiencing
                              I dont mind losing some, just concerned it may keep up, I like you have been
                              trying to eat healthy when I eat not a problem really have no more craving
                              for sweets like before I started tx. Thanks for the encouragemant though,
                              much appreciated.
                              Suzy

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 15, 2000
                                Suzy, I read your e-mail about the not having craving for sugar. All I
                                want is sugar mostly ice cream, pudding anything cold. I have always had
                                a sweet tooth. Not like I have know. I have never been a good eater.
                                Don't like veggies fruit is ok. I just hope this sweet tooth goes away.
                                God Bless Jessie

                                EZ-DOES IT
                              • Suzy Balone
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 16, 2000
                                  Jessie,

                                  Isn't it strange how everyone is different? I am just amazed how so many
                                  people can react totally different ways to the same tx. Actually when I went
                                  on a diet and started eating a little better a couple years ago, my sweet
                                  tooth diminished also, so maybe it has to do with my diet. since I am
                                  usually not real hungary then I try to eat a little healthier, i am like
                                  you never have liked to eat a whole lot of veg but like fruit, do try to
                                  eat some because I know i should but prob not every day. Take Care
                                  ZSuzy

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 24, 2000
                                    Dear Suzy:

                                    Just checked my mail after a long while.....glad your appetite is up
                                    some.....I think we combo recipients have discovered the secret to losing
                                    weight........GALLONS of water......not 8 glasses a day.....GALLONS! te he,
                                    Diane