Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Digest Number 63

  • S M
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 5, 2000
      I agree with you, Marty. An open chat forum sounds like just the ticket. I
      only hope that it's at a good time for us PST people!
      Strength and hope to all........
      Simone

    • byteme
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 5, 2000
        Dear Suzy:
        The side effects almost always do change, and usually to the better.
        Its easier to say for people who "been there and done that", but it
        really is true. My wife is starting her LAST 8 weeks of therapy and she
        has had some very good, and very bad days. That si shwy I suggest
        focusing on something positive to get you through the bad ones. You just
        have to keep believing it will work for you and that is your goal.
        Also, since my wife started the combo, she still remains
        undetectable, so, although we do not know what the future will actually
        be, you need to always be thankful for the small things. Keep us
        informed as to your progress. A year from now, you may still remember
        how it made you feel, but, you'll be done with the therapy under any
        circumstances. Marty
      • Suzy Balone
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 10, 2000
          Marty,

          Thanks for the words of encouragement, I certainly need them, one week
          down, figured i'd give it a month and reevaluate, figure anyone can endure
          something for that long, have always drank lots of water , perhaps thats
          helped but even I am getting tired of drinking,, the nausea is really bad,
          kept waiting for it to subside but it hasn't so I called to see if I could
          get some compazine or something, have lost about 7 lbs. not all in the
          last week, but I am still eating just get full so fast and lots of things
          dont taste good, luckily I can stand to lose a few lbs just not my idea of
          losing, plus I always put on about 10 lbs in th e winter,, cold
          weather, hibernation and all that, I am trying to hang in there and not as
          bad in some aspects as I thought but then at other times it feels unbearable
          I was glad i found these sites before i started and knew some of the
          things I do because all your little suggestions have proved enormously
          helpful. well I've got to go visit a friend in the hosp. Did you find a
          new job yet.. thank you once again

          Suzy

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 10, 2000
            Hopefully you and your wife will be able to sail through the last 8 weeks of
            therapy, What a year you've had, I'm praying for you and your wife to help
            make it through as i've done frequently for everyone withthis disease.

            Suzy

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10, 2000
              Suzy

              Hang in there girl and like Marty said stay positive about this treatment and
              that it is going to work for you as hard as it is to take. Seems like the
              six month stage has made my husband sides alittle better either that or he is
              just getting used to it. He is asleep right now after having a very bad day
              yesterday and last night so like Marty said you have some really bad days and
              some good days so focus of the good days and smile and be grateful for those
              when they come around. You have a long way to go and you will find a way to
              deal with it - its your hope of putting the dragon to sleep remember that and
              stay positive that you are going to do that. Your in our prayers wishing
              there was more we could do to help you and every one out there. Staying
              positive!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

              Winne
            • Suzy Balone
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 11, 2000
                winnie

                Thanks for the words of encouragement , it certainly is nice conversing with
                people that have been through the same thing that you are going through. I
                try to keep a positive attitude,, along with finding humor in things and
                praying a lot, for everyone that has this dreaded disease, at times like
                now when i have a killer headache i cant seem to get rid of, its hard but I
                will hang in there. Any suggestions for the headache??
                Suzy

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 11, 2000
                  Hi Suzy, ice really works on me head when it hurts real bad and nothing
                  else works. I am going throw this crying all the time. I am not a cryier
                  either. It takes a lot for me to cry. I feel so stupid. Have you had
                  anything like this happen to you? I even call my son in Fl. to see if he
                  can ge me out of this mood. I live in Calif. I don't know what I was
                  thinking. I don't want to worry my family. They are so good to me. God
                  Bless Jessie

                  EZ-DOES IT
                • Claudine Crews
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 11, 2000
                    Dear Jessie,
                    Just thought I'd get my two cents worth in!
                    I'd personally have to call those crying spells just about normal
                    during combo. I was on for a year, and I think I alternated between crying
                    over nothing/everything (couldn't EVEN watch those St. Jude Hospital
                    commercials) and biting everyone around me's head off! I was extremely
                    irritable. Mood swings.
                    If it gets too bad look into an antidepressant. It could make a BIG
                    difference in how you feel.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 11, 2000
                      To Claudine, I am all ready on one. I thought being on Paxill I would
                      not go throw the crying. I try to keep my head busy I read go to doll
                      school, still work 3 days a week. I don't know why I am going on like
                      this tonight. I have e-mailed more tonight than ever before. I am just
                      glad some one is here that has been throw what I am going throw. God
                      Bless Jessie

                      EZ-DOES IT
                    • RLWINNE@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 12, 2000
                        Suzy

                        Good to hear you are staying positive and the headache is the one thing that
                        you just have to give into - fluids do help my husband some with that but
                        when he gets the kind you have he has to roll with it and usually lays down
                        for the day and keeps reminding himself that it will be better maybe not that
                        day but usually the next. He does take Vicoprofen which is a pain pill the
                        doctor has given him which helps with all the joint pains but not much with
                        the headache. sorry can't be more help with that. The vicoprofen doesn't
                        have tylenol in it so he can take it are you on any kind of pain meds yet?
                        There are some that you can take that aren't as bad on the liver as some.
                        Your right about the humor part its hard but we do find humor in some of this
                        also - you have to or you would give up and you can't be doing that!!!! We
                        laugh a lot about the confusion this treatment causes - I'll ask him to
                        remind me of something and he just looks at me like sure. We have done it
                        and so can you - when you need a break you just have to take it and not feel
                        bad about it - its all part of the treatment - remember that. We're still
                        looking at 6 months on the treatment. You hang in there and keep me posted
                        on how you are doing and if we can help you with anything we are here.
                        Staying positive like you are!! Your in our prayers Suzy - hang in there -
                        you can do this!!!!

                        Winne
                      • DIANSA@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 13, 2000
                          Dear Suzy:

                          Hang in there! The appetite will probably get better after the first
                          month....It did for me....I'm just finishing 5 months of combo now....Have
                          lost 17 pounds and never had one day of nausea! I make sure I have a
                          smoothie with soy protein powder in it every day (almost!) and then at least
                          I've had something good....I try to make what I do eat
                          nourishing...reasonably so, anyway.....not a fanatic, but when you're not
                          eating a lot, you want what you do eat to count....
                          It will get better! I promise! diane
                        • DIANSA@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 13, 2000
                            Dear Jessie:

                            The other day I was in a restaurant with my 17 year old daughter....we were
                            having a nice time and then this old lady in a wheel chair, who was sitting
                            with 3 other people, spilled her drink on the table and you could tell she
                            felt so terrible....everyone was so sweet to her.....I burst into tears! My
                            17 year old thought I was funny and she giggled at me....I was laughing and
                            crying at the same time....I felt so silly....but some things just make me
                            cry...I decided it's okay to cry....that's one thing I've learned on this
                            treatment....Crying isn't necessarily something you're supposed to stop
                            yourself from doing.....we've feeling weak, vulnerable, sensitive to our own
                            and other peoples' feelings, and mayabe, just maybe, we're learning
                            compassion....it's okay to feel sad.....I always feel much better after a
                            good cry! Take care, Diane
                          • Suzy Balone
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 15, 2000
                              Jessie,

                              Yup the crying spells have started also, seems like it doesn't have to be
                              anything and i cry, havent cried for a long time and seems strange to feel
                              like doing so at the drop of a pin. will try ice as I have another headache
                              today. worse than before. Really am not crying a whole lot yet but several
                              times in the last week, hang in there and God Bless
                              Suzy

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 15, 2000
                                Diane,

                                Appetite has improved some but still get full very fast could it be the ton
                                of water I'm drinking? lol good thing I like water but even I am getting
                                tired of it, ty to drink at least a gallon and yesterday seems like 2 gal
                                figured it might help with the headache I was experiencing
                                I dont mind losing some, just concerned it may keep up, I like you have been
                                trying to eat healthy when I eat not a problem really have no more craving
                                for sweets like before I started tx. Thanks for the encouragemant though,
                                much appreciated.
                                Suzy

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 15, 2000
                                  Suzy, I read your e-mail about the not having craving for sugar. All I
                                  want is sugar mostly ice cream, pudding anything cold. I have always had
                                  a sweet tooth. Not like I have know. I have never been a good eater.
                                  Don't like veggies fruit is ok. I just hope this sweet tooth goes away.
                                  God Bless Jessie

                                  EZ-DOES IT
                                • Suzy Balone
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 16, 2000
                                    Jessie,

                                    Isn't it strange how everyone is different? I am just amazed how so many
                                    people can react totally different ways to the same tx. Actually when I went
                                    on a diet and started eating a little better a couple years ago, my sweet
                                    tooth diminished also, so maybe it has to do with my diet. since I am
                                    usually not real hungary then I try to eat a little healthier, i am like
                                    you never have liked to eat a whole lot of veg but like fruit, do try to
                                    eat some because I know i should but prob not every day. Take Care
                                    ZSuzy

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 24, 2000
                                      Dear Suzy:

                                      Just checked my mail after a long while.....glad your appetite is up
                                      some.....I think we combo recipients have discovered the secret to losing
                                      weight........GALLONS of water......not 8 glasses a day.....GALLONS! te he,
                                      Diane