Re: Education, Children and HCV

  • byteme
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3 3:18 PM
      Dear Sharon:
      You are very correct in your statement about providers and HCV.
      There are too many of them that do not have a clue. But, that measn it
      must become OUR job to is to force the issue to the front.
      I agree with you in your concern about the teenage, etc. population,
      and I also believe that HCV should be part of the sex ed programs. But,
      that does not mean that we all can not do something as well. We need to
      force the issue into the schools so that children and parents alike,
      will begin to understand. If more people ask about it, more providers
      will be forced to get more indepth information about it. Talk to the
      PTA, media, anyone or everyone that will listen, and that will help
      bring this war to the front.
      Also, you may wish to make sure the teachers are knowledgeable about
      these viruses. They should have gloves on them, and in their room, at
      all times, as a precaution. Here is how uneducated they are- Before I
      met my wife I dated this divorced lady with 2 young children. Things
      went well, and, at the time, I was doing a great deal of IV Home Therapy
      with the AIDs population. I never hid what I did, she taught first
      grade.
      One day I called her up, to make a date, and left several messages
      on her answering machine. I finally was able to get her, and, since we
      had good communication, I asked her why? Her answer was that, our
      relationship was progressing and that because of the work I did she was
      afraid.
      I understood what she was saying, but, it was really a pathetic
      situation. I told her, forgetting anything else, I always knew when I
      came into contact with an HIV positive person. I was part of a research
      study and was tested frequently to demonstrate that health care workers,
      who did not have any other risk factors, had no more risk, than anyone
      who did not engage in risky behaviors.
      The thought I left her with, was that, while I knew who had any
      potential communicable disease, that is where it stayed. As a teacher, I
      might be treating one of her students, and unless they told her, she
      would never know. I then asked her what she did when a child had a nose
      bleed or a small cut or scape. Her obvious answer was that she held a
      tissue to their nose, or cleaned up the cut. I asked her is she wore, or
      had any gloves, and the answer was no. I emphasized that unless she took
      precautions, she was at greater risk then I was. She never thought of it
      that way, and there are still thousands out there that still do not
      know. Any microscopic cut, on the finger, cuticle, "zit", eyes, etc.,
      are potential areas for the virus to enter.
      If teachers do not know and take precuations, and help educate about
      these viruses, then we are in trouble. My wife is also a teacher, and
      when she has a child that gets anything, such as a scrape or nose bleed,
      forgetting the fact that she bought her own box of gloves, and always
      carries a set in her pocket, she still only hands the child the tissue
      the tissues, or bandaid, and has them cover it while she sends them to
      the infirmary. Most of her fellow teachers never give it a thought.
      Purchase and wear the "dragon pin" so when you are out and about,
      people will ask what it is, and you can answer. The more this is
      discussed, the less panic, and the more research will go into helping us
      all. Whether it be piercings, tatoos, or even nail care, people need to
      learn what they should and should not be afraid of, and why.
      I do not know about the "moon suit" you taled about, but, in OB, the
      operating room, ER, etc., the fact should be that everyone is positive
      for a blood borne disease. Whether it be AIDs, HCV, and many other
      similar viruses, the same precautions need to be taken. Forget what you
      see on TV, because that is only a very small, and sometimes inaccurate
      picture. OSHA, (Occupational Safety Health Administration), mandates
      these precautions.
      Any time there may be any contact with blood or "body fluids", and
      this also includes the possibility, gloves, gowns, eye protection, are a
      MUST! It does not make a differeence whether someone has tested negative
      for everything, the law still requires these precautions. There are
      hefty fines for any violation, no matter how small or how innocent.
      About a year ago, a resident physician had just changed into new
      scrubs and was walking out the door of a local medical center. There was
      still a drop of "dried blood" on these cleansed scrubs. He did not see
      it, but someone from OSHA was walking into the building at the same
      time, and the resident got fined $ 10,000.00 and the hospital got fined
      $ 750,000.00. I understand this does happen all over the US, and it is
      for everyone's protection, although, personally, this was probably
      overkill.
      I also agree that if a provider either does not want to deal with,
      lacks knowledge of, or whatever reason, they either go into a field
      where they are isolated from the "real world", or get educated. In
      today's Medical Field there is no reason someone can ever explain their
      ignorance. For some reason, many physicians will not say I am not sure
      or do not know, and I'll have to look further or refer you. Probably
      both ego and money in both cases, but still no excuse. Also, as far as I
      am concerned, I believe that every patient should be educated, at least
      to some degree, on what to expect, why, and what not to be worried
      about. They owe it to their patients, and to themselves, because it
      alieviates many misunderstandings. Marty