Hep B DNA

  • iwonderthis
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2002
      Hi,

      Can someone answer this quesition about HBV-DNA, the DNA of hepatits
      B in blood?

      If it is 0.05 pg/mL, one page = 150,000 copies, is this considered
      negtive or possitive?

      Also, will hepatitis B carrier with normal liver function to develope
      nephropathy (kidney disease), there is a nephropathy that's related
      to HBV, called HBV-GN, where HBV virus immu product deposits on
      kidney causing inflamation.

      Thank you so much!

      iwonder
    • Doc
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2002
        Hi I wonder,

        HBV -DNA 1 pg = 273,000 copies/ml , some labs put an average figure of 250,000; in your case the figure of 150,000 is a bit lower than most labs. However it doesnt matter much.

        HBV-DNA by a sensitive PCR or Hybrid assay( Digene) is considered undetectable at < 4700 copies/ml.
        Other non sensitive tests will detect up to 100,000 copies/ml.

        So your test of 0.05 pg or 150,000 copies is taken as DNA positive. Are you e antigen +ve or -ve?
        You should have a liver biopsy to determine liver damage

        Yes indeed just AST/ALT may not reflect on the underlying liver damage thus healthy carrier term is no longer used for HBV infection.
        HBV related GN is immune mediated and does not always correlate well with the extent of liver damage.

        Hope this helps.

        Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2002
          Hi Dr Sharat Misra,

          Thank you so much for the answer. My HbeAG is negtive and anti-HbeAG
          is positive.

          Besides liver boipsy, is there any other way to find out if I have
          normal liver function? I just did CT and there is no damage to the
          liver strucutre.

          Is there any treatment for HBV carriers, with HbsAG possitive, anti-
          HbeAG possitive and core anti-BHc possitive?

          Thank you so much!

          iwonder

          --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@y..., "Doc" <gidoc@v...> wrote:
          > Hi I wonder,
          >
          > HBV -DNA 1 pg = 273,000 copies/ml , some labs put an average figure
          of 250,000; in your case the figure of 150,000 is a bit lower than
          most labs. However it doesnt matter much.

          > HBV-DNA by a sensitive PCR or Hybrid assay( Digene) is considered
          undetectable at < 4700 copies/ml.
          > Other non sensitive tests will detect up to 100,000 copies/ml.
          >
          > So your test of 0.05 pg or 150,000 copies is taken as DNA positive.
          Are you e antigen +ve or -ve?
          > You should have a liver biopsy to determine liver damage
          >
          > Yes indeed just AST/ALT may not reflect on the underlying liver
          damage thus healthy carrier term is no longer used for HBV infection.
          > HBV related GN is immune mediated and does not always correlate
          well with the extent of liver damage.

          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > Can someone answer this quesition about HBV-DNA, the DNA of
          hepatits
          > B in blood?
          >
          > If it is 0.05 pg/mL, one page = 150,000 copies, is this
          considered
          > negtive or possitive?
          >
          > Also, will hepatitis B carrier with normal liver function to
          develope
          > nephropathy (kidney disease), there is a nephropathy that's
          related
          > to HBV, called HBV-GN, where HBV virus immu product deposits on
          > kidney causing inflamation.
          >
          > Thank you so much!
          >
          > iwonder

        • Doc
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2002
            You being e antigen negative probably have a precore mutant ( one which doesnt make e antigen)
            Liver biopsy is the gold standard for assessing liver damage and if you have HAI >3 ( seen on liver bx) with ALT at least 2 times high then you should take therpay with Interferon or Lamivudine.
            If you are interested in attending we are having a meeting of Hep B people sponsored by Hep B Foudation near Philly in end June 2002. You can meet more people and learm more about newer treatments. Meanwhile you need to have your ALT done to see if its elevated and take it from there.

            Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

            Thank you so much for the answer. My HbeAG is negtive and anti-HbeAG
            is positive.

            Besides liver boipsy, is there any other way to find out if I have
            normal liver function? I just did CT and there is no damage to the
            liver strucutre.

            Is there any treatment for HBV carriers, with HbsAG possitive, anti-
            HbeAG possitive and core anti-BHc possitive?

            Thank you so much!

            iwonder

            --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@y..., "Doc" <gidoc@v...> wrote:
            > Hi I wonder,
            >
            > HBV -DNA 1 pg = 273,000 copies/ml , some labs put an average figure
            of 250,000; in your case the figure of 150,000 is a bit lower than
            most labs. However it doesnt matter much.

            > HBV-DNA by a sensitive PCR or Hybrid assay( Digene) is considered
            undetectable at < 4700 copies/ml.
            > Other non sensitive tests will detect up to 100,000 copies/ml.
            >
            > So your test of 0.05 pg or 150,000 copies is taken as DNA positive.
            Are you e antigen +ve or -ve?
            > You should have a liver biopsy to determine liver damage
            >
            > Yes indeed just AST/ALT may not reflect on the underlying liver
            damage thus healthy carrier term is no longer used for HBV infection.
            > HBV related GN is immune mediated and does not always correlate
            well with the extent of liver damage.

            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG
            >

            > Hi,
            >
            > Can someone answer this quesition about HBV-DNA, the DNA of
            hepatits
            > B in blood?
            >
            > If it is 0.05 pg/mL, one page = 150,000 copies, is this
            considered
            > negtive or possitive?
            >
            > Also, will hepatitis B carrier with normal liver function to
            develope
            > nephropathy (kidney disease), there is a nephropathy that's
            related
            > to HBV, called HBV-GN, where HBV virus immu product deposits on
            > kidney causing inflamation.
            >
            > Thank you so much!
            >
            > iwonder

          • iwonderthis
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2002
              Dear Dr Sharat,

              Yes I'm very interested. Can you give me more information on how to
              regist or which website can I get more informaiton?

              Service.

            • Doc
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2002
                This is certainly going to be a unique event for Hep B , I wish I could do this for Hep C as well.

                I am copying to this to my friend Steve who is organising this event and has invited me to speak on certain key issues. Steve will give you more info. If anyone else is interested please let me know. This is B Informed in Philly June 28-29.
                Steve runs a unique support group fpr Hep B of which I am also a part. You should subscribe to his List as well. Steve will give you the necessary information about the List.
                Hope this helps.

                Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

              • Patricia Jean
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
                  I was on the hep b list for a while. I highly recommend it to anyone with
                  hep b or interested in it. And Steve is a sweety :)

                  alley