Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] New member

  • willem landstra
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 13, 2002
      Hi Anne.I was three times on standard treatment.Interferon and Ribavarine.I have been in a trial with the first two weeks 6 million units of interferon EVERYDAY plus 1000 mg.Ribavarine.Boy was a sick.Every time my PCR was undetectable after 12 wks.However a relapsed after stopping treatment.I have some things against me,age 60,1b,and male.Woman do better.Now I am in my 15month of Peg-Combo.100mg,1000 mg. Rebetol.Another 3 months to go.Side effects depend largly on the individual.Brainfog is the worse side effect I experience.Forgetting things etc.Can.t play chess.I strongely advise you to do the Peg-Combo and if your Doc and insurance agree take one year of treatment.I take paracetamol for the flu-like sympthons and it works.The side-effects are,however,considerably less then the standard treatment.Goodluck William.
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 13, 2002
        Hey William!!

        I have a friend in Holland, in Deurne. She visited us last summer for 6
        weeks and we had a blast. I'm hoping to vist her this summer and experience
        Holland myself!

        I'm in Grand Prairie Texas, USA, which is a suburb of Dallas and Ft.Worth
        actually.

        I'm hep c +, hep b + (antibody), finished treatment last April and was
        undetected until my 6th month post treatment pcr which had my viral load
        skyrocketing, which is usual when it comes back they say and should settle
        down on it's own. Treatment also screwed with my thyroid, which has returned
        to mostly normal (4something on TSH).

        My genotype is 1b also.

        Welcome to the group!

        alley
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 17, 2002
          In a message dated 3/13/2002 5:23:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          wmland@... writes:

          > Hi Anne.I was three times on standard treatment.Interferon and Ribavarine.I
          > have been in a trial with the first two weeks 6 million units of interferon
          > EVERYDAY plus 1000 mg.Ribavarine.Boy was a sick.Every time my PCR was
          > undetectable after 12 wks.However a relapsed after stopping treatment.I
          > have some things against me,age 60,1b,and male.Woman do better.Now I am in
          > my 15month of Peg-Combo.100mg,1000 mg. Rebetol.Another 3 months to go.Side
          > effects depend largly on the individual.Brainfog is the worse side effect I
          > experience.Forgetting things etc.Can.t play chess.I strongely advise you to
          > do the Peg-Combo and if your Doc and insurance agree take one year of
          > treatment.I take paracetamol for the flu-like sympthons and it works.The
          > side-effects are,however,considerably less then the standard
          > treatment.Goodluck William

          Dear William,
          The Navy is writing the protocol for this even as I write. Dr. Nemec is
          fearful of me taking Ribavirin again. We all have brain fog, if mine gets
          much worse, I'm going to forget where I live. Thanks for the update and good
          luck to you, too. Anne

        • Suzy Balone
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 18, 2002
            william
            wwhat a trooper , on the combo 3 times and now on the peg! I relapsed after
            my first round and needed a break plus thought maybe something else would or
            will come around. is the brain fog worse on the peg than the combo?
            Good luck to you hope it works this time around
            Suzy

          • willem landstra
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 19, 2002
              Hi Suzy.Yes I.am a exception on the rules.When I heard that I had this bug
              I wanted to beat it.Fight back it.s in my nature.The thing what puzzels me
              is How did I get this virus.I never had bloodtransfusion I never took
              drugs.I did however travelled widely around the world.Since so many people
              have C,in China it is epedemic there must be other ways then bloodcontact in
              which the virus is being transmitted.Mabye sexually.Can somebody enlighten
              me on this since my Doc does.nt know either.The brainfog is getting worse
              and more then with the standard treatment.If I relapse again I will wait
              until new treatment is available.This thing has dominated my live for the
              last five years and I want to pick it up again.Anyway a lot of other people
              are worse off.Count our blessings.Goodluck William.
              > wwhat a trooper , on the combo 3 times and now on the peg! I relapsed
              after
              > my first round and needed a break plus thought maybe something else would
              or
              > will come around. is the brain fog worse on the peg than the combo?
              > Good luck to you hope it works this time around
              > Suzy

            • Suzy Balone
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 19, 2002
                William,
                Yes I try and count my bleesings everyday, there is so much to be thankful
                for. I could hardly cope with the brain fog from the combo but I guess in
                your case it could be that you've had so many years of treatment that it
                accumulate. I sincerely hope you beat this disease this time. There is some
                literature where you cna pick up the disease if you have many partners and
                not a monomagous one. I don't quite understand that part of it myself. and
                it seems like possibly if you get the virus from blood and then gets into
                parts of your mucous membranes it sometimes can be transmitted that way. I
                think it is so insidious that disease that we may not know all the ways.
                Then I have heard also that the virus can stay alive for a very long period
                of time outside the body so it could be you contracted it a number of ways.
                Good luck with the rest of your treatment .I have forgotten how much longer
                do you have on the peg?
                Hope you a have a good day.
                Take care
                Suzy

              • willem landstra

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 20, 2002
                    ----------
                    >From: "willem landstra" <wmland@...>

                    >.The thing what puzzels me
                    > is How did I get this virus.I never had bloodtransfusion I never took
                    > drugs.I did however travelled widely around the world.Since so many people
                    > have C,in China it is epedemic there must be other ways then bloodcontact in
                    > which the virus is being transmitted.Mabye sexually.Can somebody enlighten
                    > me on this since my Doc does.nt know either.

                    Willem-

                    A quote from Dr Gott in his article in today's paper (at least in my area)-

                    'Thank heavens things have changed. Today's syringes and needles are
                    disposable, so the risk of infection is nil. The possibility of hepatitis,
                    a viral liver inflammation, is likewise eliminated. Only the good lord
                    knows what viruses and microbes survived the old sterlilization process.'

                    Also, in the early 1990's, I remember hearing once or twice on the radio
                    news at work-not on TV!, that the most widely used medical disinfectant was
                    being dropped because it had been found not to kill all known microbes.
                    Could those have been HIV and HCV, both newly identified viruses at the
                    time?

                    Many believe that they were inadvertently infected by medical procedures
                    such as the mass, herd vaccinations in the 50s & 60s, military shots, dental
                    work, invasive medical procedures, etc.

                    The CDC site does say that it is very rarely transmitted by sex, especially
                    if a person is in a monagomous relationship. Another site questioned if the
                    slightly higher infection rate amongst more promiscuous people is really due
                    to sex or the fact that they also had a higher rate of other risk factors.
                    I do know that my husband does not have HCV. If HCV were truly a sexually
                    transmitted disease, this would not be the case, and there are many, many
                    monagamous couple where one has HCV and the other doesn't.

                    It is my opinion that until this virus was identified, how could the medical
                    profession protect the patients from it and so inadvertently infected many.

                    gail
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                      In a message dated 3/20/2002 7:16:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      gailsamples@... writes:

                      > A quote from Dr Gott in his article in today's paper (at least in my area)-
                      >
                      > 'Thank heavens things have changed. Today's syringes and needles are
                      > disposable, so the risk of infection is nil. The possibility of hepatitis,
                      > a viral liver inflammation, is likewise eliminated. Only the good lord
                      > knows what viruses and microbes survived the old sterlilization process.'
                      >
                      > Also, in the early 1990's, I remember hearing once or twice on the radio
                      > news at work-not on TV!, that the most widely used medical disinfectant was
                      > being dropped because it had been found not to kill all known microbes.
                      > Could those have been HIV and HCV, both newly identified viruses at the
                      > time?
                      >
                      > Many believe that they were inadvertently infected by medical procedures
                      > such as the mass, herd vaccinations in the 50s & 60s, military shots,
                      > dental
                      > work, invasive medical procedures, etc.
                      >
                      > The CDC site does say that it is very rarely transmitted by sex, especially
                      > if a person is in a monagomous relationship. Another site questioned if
                      > the
                      > slightly higher infection rate amongst more promiscuous people is really
                      > due
                      > to sex or the fact that they also had a higher rate of other risk factors.
                      > I do know that my husband does not have HCV. If HCV were truly a sexually
                      > transmitted disease, this would not be the case, and there are many, many
                      > monagamous couple where one has HCV and the other doesn't.
                      >
                      > It is my opinion that until this virus was identified, how could the
                      > medical
                      > profession protect the patients from it and so inadvertently infected many.
                      >
                      > gail

                      > Access Your PC from Anywhere
                      > It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.

                      Gail has a very valid point. I remember the days when we used to hold "pot
                      luck" luncheons for birthdays in microbiology for birthdays, lab week, etc.

                      I think I became infected with HCV because of a needle stab by a paranoid
                      psychotic patient, but I could have had it longer than that. If so, my liver
                      really is in better shape than it should be. Of course, I never was a big
                      partier either. I certainly never did intravenous drugs. The shots were the
                      hardest part about treatment. I HATE NEEDLES!!!!!!!!!! Almost to the point
                      of paranoia. My first husband was HCV negative and so is David.

                      None of my doctors can figure it out either, unless I acquired it
                      professionally. Go figure. Your guess will be just as good as your docs.

                      Good luck and good health,

                    • Constance Dickson
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                        I was given the 28 pints of blood was either Nov. or
                        Dec. 1991. I was still in shock and not aware of
                        things. Only thing I remember is them grafting the
                        girl in room with me before me she had only been there
                        a couple days. She was Black and I had thought that
                        maybe skin more fragile, well, thats what I had
                        thought, I found out later why. Was because grease
                        and chemical burns, burn from the inside out, and they
                        wait till it is done. They had given me B along with
                        the C. So I know they weren't checking to hard, smile
                        Take Care, Connie

                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                          I wasn't thinking lots of people do not know it is St
                          Petersburg when I say St Pete.

                          Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards�
                          http://movies.yahoo.com/
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                            When I lived in St. Pete and raced at Tampa Bay Downs, there was a saying
                            that no old people live in St. Pete...the old folks live in Miami and their
                            grandparents live in St. Pete <g>

                            Constance Dickson wrote:

                            > I wasn't thinking lots of people do not know it is St
                            > Petersburg when I say St Pete.

                            > http://movies.yahoo.com/

                            If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each
                            other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, And what you do
                            not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys. ~Chief Dan George~
                          • Constance Dickson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                              LOL, thats a good one. They now all go to Inverness
                              and Beverly Hills Fl. You have horses?

                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                                I worked with thoroughbred race horses for 13 years...I was a groom and
                                traveled the circuit: Kentucky in the spring, usually New Jersey (Momouth
                                Park) in the summer and either Florida or California in the winter. I was
                                young then and able to lift those 100# sacks of oats and bales of straw and
                                hay...but my back eventually gave out on me and I got tired of being on the
                                road all the time so I left the track and went to college to build a
                                different life.

                                Constance Dickson wrote:

                                > LOL, thats a good one. They now all go to Inverness
                                > and Beverly Hills Fl. You have horses?
                                > --- Tatezi <tatezi1@...> wrote:
                                > > When I lived in St. Pete and raced at Tampa Bay
                                > > Downs, there was a saying
                                > > that no old people live in St. Pete...the old folks
                                > > live in Miami and their
                                > > grandparents live in St. Pete <g>
                                > >
                                > > Constance Dickson wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > I wasn't thinking lots of people do not know it is
                                > > St
                                > > > Petersburg when I say St Pete.

                                > > > Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy
                                > > Awards®
                                > > > http://movies.yahoo.com/
                                > > >

                                > > > Welcome to GIHepWorld
                                > > >
                                > > > Post message: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
                                > > > Subscribe:
                                > > GIWorld-Hepatitis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                                > > > Unsubscribe:
                                > > > List owner:
                                > > GIWorld-Hepatitis-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                > > > URL to this page:

                                > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                > >
                                > > --
                                > > If you talk to the animals they will talk with you
                                > > and you will know each
                                > > other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know
                                > > them, And what you do
                                > > not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys.
                                > > ~Chief Dan George~

                                > http://movies.yahoo.com/

                                If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each
                                other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, And what you do
                                not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys. ~Chief Dan George~
                              • Patricia Jean
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                  So what did you change your life to Tat?

                                  Got me curious :)

                                  alley
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                    Went to college and majored in office management and did that for a long
                                    time, then switched track again and got certified in Novell network
                                    administration and computer repair until I was diagnosed and I went back
                                    to office work so I didn't have the high stress and long hours that come
                                    with working in technology.

                                    How's that for a lifetime of changes <g>

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                      Hi.With yr skills you should be able to get a job.I do voluntary work for the homeless.There was one kid who could do wonders with computers.A lot of people buy computers here but panic when they have a problem,due to Bill Gates.He put a notice in the supermarkets and local newspapers.Now he is making enough money to support himself.Don.t worry about feeding you and the cats.If things really are getting taft there are enough people on this group who will see you through,I being o0ne of them.Goodluck William.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                        Willem, this is so nice of you. Tatezi says she can make it on her own
                                        with the kitties as long as she's getting unemployment.....but Tat, if
                                        you need money for the cats, please do say something....I don't want to
                                        see you lose those cats and I see a lot of people care too. Thanks to
                                        you all. Tatezi, we are only an email away, don't forget that!!

                                        Hugggggggs
                                        Carol

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                          In a message dated 3/24/2002 11:23:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                          tatezi1@... writes:

                                          > When I lived in St. Pete and raced at Tampa Bay Downs, there was a saying
                                          > that no old people live in St. Pete...the old folks live in Miami and their
                                          > grandparents live in St. Pete <g>

                                          I've heard that one before......the rest of it is that the send their kids to
                                          Florida Southern in Lakeland. I think that was added because there were so
                                          many middle aged students enrolled there. What were you racing?

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                            In a message dated 3/24/2002 11:50:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                            tatezi1@... writes:

                                            > I worked with thoroughbred race horses for 13 years...I was a groom and
                                            > traveled the circuit: Kentucky in the spring, usually New Jersey (Momouth
                                            > Park) in the summer and either Florida or California in the winter. I was
                                            > young then and able to lift those 100# sacks of oats and bales of straw and
                                            > hay...but my back eventually gave out on me and I got tired of being on the
                                            > road all the time so I left the track and went to college to build a
                                            > different life.

                                            Okay that answers that question. That must have been a lot of fun. I
                                            understand about the back.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 26, 2002
                                              Thanks, Carol. And I would never lose my guys...no matter what happens,
                                              they stay with me. They are my family and you don't give your family
                                              away during hard times. And I finally got my stereo sold yesterday so my
                                              Tipper can get into the vet...he has a couple lumps that need looking
                                              into and since odds are they will require removal, I sold my stereo so I
                                              could pay for the surgery.