Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Garlic

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2002
      There is a study on this but it doesnt implicate garlic in any potential effect on treatment.

      In the study one garlic capsule was administered twice a day and very careful pharmacokinetics studies were performed. The results were dramatic: garlic reduces the levels of saquinavir by 50%. No data was presented about other antiretrovirals, but this study questions the use of these supplements concomitantly with protease inhibitors. The therapeutic implications of this are unknown.
      Saquinavir is used almost exclusively in combination with ritonavir, but no data was presented about the three-way interaction. It might be that ritonavir "compensates" for the effects of garlic.

      It is possible that these interactions will occur when you take an overdose of "pills" with such supplements. Natural garlic when taken in food should not cause any problem.

      Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

      Although I am a strong proponent of complimentary
      medicines, I do have to say that I just read an
      article where it was shown that consumption of garlic
      decreased the levels in the body of some of the anti
      virals used in the treatment of HIV, and they were
      saying it might be a concern, since garlic is used by
      some HIV patients to control cholesterol, which tends
      to rise when one has AIDS. It didn't say efficacy was
      reduced, but levels were lowered which may result in
      diminished effectiveness. So even garlic may have
      some circumstances where it isn't harmless.