Post Treatment

  • Edie
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
      Hello everyone:

      I just took my last dose of evening medications. I had my last shot last Saturday.

      At times, I thought I'd never see this day come. I have my first post treatment blood work and PCR tomorrow. My liver biopsy has been moved from tomorrow until next Friday.

      How fast will my ability to SLEEP come back and when will I ever stop this SWEATING??? I swear, I have never been a real hot person but since being on Combo, it could be 25 degrees outside and I wanna wear shorts and run around with a towel to keep the sweat from running into my eyes!

      What kind of experience should I expect? Dr. has told me to stop taking all med's except my Zoloft starting first thing tomorrow morning.

      Yeah!!!!

      Edie
      Last Day of Week 48 of Combo

    • Patricia Jean
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
        CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

        YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

        As for sleep, I didn't have good sleep before tx so it wasn't a surprise
        that tx didn't improve it. I used Ambien when necessary. You could try
        Melatonin, it's over the counter.

        As for hot flashes, I had them for months after. I think it was due to my
        thyroid increasing (got a little above 7, limit was 6) and as my thyroid
        (TSH) has returned to normal I've lost the hot flashes.

        The first month after I stopped tx was the absolute worst for me. I had the
        shakes, hot and cold flashes, nausea and vomiting, just awful. After that
        month tho it went away and it was about 6 months later before I really could
        say I "felt better". And still I have good days and bad days.

        Good luck!

        alley
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 28, 2002
          Hi Edie - Congratulations!!!!

          I don't know about the sweating. I'm hot and sweat a lot all the time
          too, summer and winter (what little we have here.) The old interferon
          just took a few days really, maybe a week, to work out of your
          system, but I'm sure the peg will take longer. My GUESS is a couple
          of weeks. If it were me I'd keep taking the Benedryl to help with
          sleep until you don't need it anymore. Or gradually reduce the dose.
          The ribavirin can take many weeks to work completely out of your
          system, and I don't know about the amantadine at all. Everyone is
          different, but I think it's pretty safe to say you should feel better
          within a couple of weeks.

          I can't wait to hear the results of your PCR!

          Good luck,

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Mzgee1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
            Dear Edie, congratulations on finishing!!!! Uh..the sweating
            thing...beatsme, I'm still doing it and it's been 6 months! The sleep came
            back pretty soon for me. I don't even take any sleep meds at all now. I
            have just had my 6 month PCR & am still 'undect.' Somethings went away but
            took a while, others just didn't and I guess that's because they are products
            of the Hep or other autoimmune things. All in all being OFF treatment beats
            being On it anyday!!!!! Hope ur PCR is a good one! love, mzgee

          • jcmmo@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
              Edie,

              Congratulatons on finishing treatment.
              I am fighting to get on the Peg.
              I have cirrhosis and my doc is doing tests
              to decide if I should do treatment or get ready for a transplant. I
              want one more chance to wage war against the dragon!!!

              About the sweating..... it took 2 years, after finishing the combo for
              my bod to cool off. It feels good to be able to wear a sweatshirt
              again. I live in Minnesota (alleys favorite state..lol) and I didn't
              even wear a winter coat for 2 winters!

              Good luck on your PCR and I hope you never have to do treatment
              again......

              hugs,
              Judy

              http://community.webtv.net/jcmmo/Affirmation
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                WTG Edie!!! About the sleeping....I'm not even on treatment yet and
                have terrible trouble sleeping, even with sleeping pills. I'll either
                just lay awake, or go to sleep for an hour and wake up and wide awake
                for hours. It's very frustrating and I'm always tired cuz I don't get
                the proper sleep. Some of it could be meno too, who knows.

                Carol

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
                  Good luck Judy...I hope you have the chance to do treatment again. I
                  loved the affirmation on the bottom of your post.

                  Huggggggs
                  Carol

                  jcmmo@... wrote:

                  > Edie,
                  >
                  > Congratulatons on finishing treatment.
                  > I am fighting to get on the Peg.
                  > I have cirrhosis and my doc is doing tests
                  > to decide if I should do treatment or get ready for a transplant. I
                  > want one more chance to wage war against the dragon!!!
                  >
                  > About the sweating..... it took 2 years, after finishing the combo for
                  >
                  > my bod to cool off. It feels good to be able to wear a sweatshirt
                  > again. I live in Minnesota (alleys favorite state..lol) and I didn't
                  > even wear a winter coat for 2 winters!
                  >
                  > Good luck on your PCR and I hope you never have to do treatment
                  > again......
                  >
                  > hugs,
                  > Judy
                  >

                  > http://community.webtv.net/jcmmo/Affirmation
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Suzy Balone
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2002
                    Mzgee
                    Congratulations on yur 6 month pcr being undectable! That is wonderful news.
                    Hope it stays that way.
                    Suzy

                  • Suzy Balone
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2002
                      Edie
                      Congratulations on finishing treatment. What a wonderful feeling huh?
                      hope your pcr comes back undectable too. that would be another success story
                      here for the medicine. take care and keep us posted
                      Suzy

                    • Suzy Balone
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 2, 2002
                        its amazing how everyone is different
                        I was freezing when I was on combo!! except for when I had hot flashes but
                        most of the time I couldn't have enough clothes on. of course I did lose a
                        lot of weight and my body is used to body fat which I didn't have much of
                        esp. at the end
                        Suzy

                      • Gail Samples
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2002
                          ----------
                          >From: "Edie" <erodriguez7@...>

                          > What kind of experience should I expect? Dr. has told me to stop taking
                          > all med's except my Zoloft starting first thing tomorrow morning.

                          Hurray! No more shots! Everybody is different-some come back quickly from
                          their round of treatment, others take longer to recup. I bet the
                          sweating/heat stuff will disappear quickly as it sounds like the feverish
                          effect you get from interferon. May you reach the sustained response state
                          that we all look for.

                          gail
                        • Gail Samples
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2002
                            ----------
                            >From: Mzgee1@...
                            >To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Post Treatment
                            >Date: Fri, Mar 1, 2002, 4:27 PM
                            >

                            > Dear Edie, congratulations on finishing!!!! Uh..the sweating
                            > thing...beatsme, I'm still doing it and it's been 6 months! The sleep came
                            > back pretty soon for me. I don't even take any sleep meds at all now. I
                            > have just had my 6 month PCR & am still 'undect.'

                            Great news on sustained response!!! I am envious!

                            gail
                          • Mzgee1@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 5, 2002
                              Thanks Suzy, me too!

                            • runabout_104
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 11, 2002
                                Oh Carol and everyone, I truly don't want to seem ungrateful.I am
                                truly happy that everything has been favorable. The cirrochiss does
                                bother me A LOT.I come from a long line of worrywarts so part of that
                                is just "my way".If I don't hv something to worry about, then
                                I "think" up something.I do hope the depressioin fades after
                                treatment. At least then I should fine out how much is treatment
                                related and how much is me having a major problem. Loosing insurane
                                so I am not going to have the insurance for the anti-depressants. I
                                am going to look into getting assistance with the Medicine Program-
                                Anyone had any luck at all with that, or getting the insurance to pay
                                for it certain drugs. I know that Paxil is on their list and I wonder
                                too how long all this takes to get into effect. I guess they wdn't
                                consider me at all until the insurance is gone,whcih I would really
                                like to start the process now. Anybody else had any luck with them,
                                please ket me know. cher
                              • carol
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 11, 2002
                                  Hi Cher....hey I know what it's like to be a worry wart, I'm getting better at it but I've been one all my life too....had a stomach ulcer at age 6....I used to take life too seriously but I've worked on that a lot.....I don't know what the policy is in the USA, but here in Canada I knew I needed to go on anti-depressants which are very expensive....but since I wasn't making a lot of money at the time I qualified for 100% coverage from the Mental Health Society....or whatever they're called. Maybe take a look into that since the US is far superior in their mental health than Canada. Good luck.