Garlic

  • Go Friend
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28 2:35 PM
      <<Experts say some of the most popular herbal remedies
      - - garlic, for instance - - are generally harmless
      and indeed, potentially beneficial, in acceptable
      doses. >>

      Although I am a strong proponent of complimentary
      medicines, I do have to say that I just read an
      article where it was shown that consumption of garlic
      decreased the levels in the body of some of the anti
      virals used in the treatment of HIV, and they were
      saying it might be a concern, since garlic is used by
      some HIV patients to control cholesterol, which tends
      to rise when one has AIDS. It didn't say efficacy was
      reduced, but levels were lowered which may result in
      diminished effectiveness. So even garlic may have
      some circumstances where it isn't harmless.

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Go Friend

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28 8:39 PM
          No wonder my cholesterol is only 152. We put garlic in just about
          everything. It also lowers blood pressure for those of you with that
          problem. OF course none of this is proven, but my blood pressure went down
          and the stress level certainly didn't, if anything it got worse with David's
          diagnosis.
          Anne
        • Go Friend
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
            >>No wonder my cholesterol is only 152. We put garlic
            in just about everything. It also lowers blood
            pressure for those of you with that problem. OF
            course none of this is proven, but my blood pressure
            went down and the stress level certainly didn't, if
            anything it got worse with David's diagnosis.
            Anne<<

            Arch Latinoam Nutr 2000 Sep;50(3):219-29 Related
            Articles, Books

            [Review: cardiovascular effect of garlic (Allium
            sativum)]

            [Article in Spanish]

            Garcia Gomez LJ, Sanchez-Muniz FJ.

            Departamento de Nutricion y Bromatologia I
            (Nutricion), Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad
            Complutense de Madrid, Madrid-Espana.

            Garlic has been used for centuries, and even nowadays
            is part of popular medicine in many cultures. New data
            have increased the interest in garlic and its role in
            normalization and treatment of cardiovascular disease
            risk factors. Recent studies have shown the complex
            composition of garlic, containing many compounds, that
            present potential positive effect in the field of
            health. The aim of the present paper was to review
            results of some studies that have found a relationship
            between garlic and cardiovascular diseases. From some
            of them it can be summarized that garlic can normalize
            plasma lipid, check lipid peroxidation, stimulate
            fibrinolytic activity, inhibit platelet aggregation,
            smooth the thickening and structural changes of artery
            wall related to aging and atherosclerosis, and
            decrease blood pressure. However, some other studies
            do not support these benefits. The positive effects
            found have promoted many study projects, nevertheless,
            the extract lability and the lack of result consensus
            call for a moderate consumption of garlic and garlic
            extracts. The composition variation due to gathering
            and aging together with the changes occurring in
            canning and industrial treatment makes necessary the
            application of some norms in the production and
            consumption of this functional food in order to
            guarantee its use in adequate form and doses.

            Publication Types:
            Review
            Review, Tutorial

            PMID: 11347290 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

            http://sports.yahoo.com
          • Doc
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2002
              There is a study on this but it doesnt implicate garlic in any potential effect on treatment.

              In the study one garlic capsule was administered twice a day and very careful pharmacokinetics studies were performed. The results were dramatic: garlic reduces the levels of saquinavir by 50%. No data was presented about other antiretrovirals, but this study questions the use of these supplements concomitantly with protease inhibitors. The therapeutic implications of this are unknown.
              Saquinavir is used almost exclusively in combination with ritonavir, but no data was presented about the three-way interaction. It might be that ritonavir "compensates" for the effects of garlic.

              It is possible that these interactions will occur when you take an overdose of "pills" with such supplements. Natural garlic when taken in food should not cause any problem.

              Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG