New member

  • willem landstra
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 27, 2002
      Hello everyone.My name is William,I live in Holland,diagnosed HCV-1b.After standard treatment and a lot of other things!!!!! I am now on the Peg-combo.I already got a lot of info from the group.Fantastic!.I wish everyone goodluck and will gladly share my experiences with you.William.

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 27, 2002
        Hi William,
        I'm glad you found us, and glad you've found some helpful info
        here. The Peg-combo is still a new thing for us, not too many have
        experience with it, so it's good to know you're there if we have
        questions about it. As far as side effects, do you notice a
        difference between the two treatments?
        Good luck, hopefully this will be the last treatment you ever
        need!
        Take care,

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 27, 2002
          Hi William, welcome to the group. I'm so glad that Holland has the peg
          now, Canada still doesn't :-( I'm looking at going on the old combo as
          soon as possible. I have a good friend in Holland, she works for
          foreign affairs. Hope to get there someday.

          Carol

          willem landstra wrote:

          > Hello everyone.My name is William,I live in Holland,diagnosed
          > HCV-1b.After standard treatment and a lot of other things!!!!! I am
          > now on the Peg-combo.I already got a lot of info from the
          > group.Fantastic!.I wish everyone goodluck and will gladly share my
          > experiences with you.William.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          [Image]

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 27, 2002
            Wow...another welcome. Glad you found us! I personally consider the
            Netherlands to be the most civilized country in the world and will be
            interested in learning how they are approaching Hep C. Have they
            legalized pegasys there yet?

            For years I've been trying to find a way to get to move to
            Netherlands....I had a dutch neighbor and tried to get him to marry me
            so I could become a citizen of Holland. But he and his partner were
            afraid of tax issues in the US....

            Glad to have you with us!
            Blessings
            Tatezi

            willem landstra wrote:

            > Hello everyone.My name is William,I live in Holland,diagnosed
            > HCV-1b.After standard treatment and a lot of other things!!!!! I am
            > now on the Peg-combo.I already got a lot of info from the
            > group.Fantastic!.I wish everyone goodluck and will gladly share my
            > experiences with you.William.

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            [Image]

            If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know
            each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, And what
            you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys. ~Chief Dan
            George~

            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 12, 2002
              In a message dated 2/27/2002 2:33:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              wmland@... writes:

              > Hello everyone.My name is William,I live in Holland,diagnosed HCV-1b.After
              > standard treatment and a lot of other things!!!!! I am now on the
              > Peg-combo.I already got a lot of info from the group.Fantastic!.I wish
              > everyone goodluck and will gladly share my experiences with you.William.

              Hi William,
              And welcome. I am considering going on the peg-combo. I really had a bad
              reaction to the ribaviron with the original combo. Any info from you would
              be appreciated.
              I haven't been to Holland in many years. It's a beautiful country. I still
              have my very own pair of wooden shoes, which I wear here when it rains. They
              are better than boots.
              Good luck and God bless,

            • willem landstra
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 13, 2002
                Hi Anne.I was three times on standard treatment.Interferon and Ribavarine.I have been in a trial with the first two weeks 6 million units of interferon EVERYDAY plus 1000 mg.Ribavarine.Boy was a sick.Every time my PCR was undetectable after 12 wks.However a relapsed after stopping treatment.I have some things against me,age 60,1b,and male.Woman do better.Now I am in my 15month of Peg-Combo.100mg,1000 mg. Rebetol.Another 3 months to go.Side effects depend largly on the individual.Brainfog is the worse side effect I experience.Forgetting things etc.Can.t play chess.I strongely advise you to do the Peg-Combo and if your Doc and insurance agree take one year of treatment.I take paracetamol for the flu-like sympthons and it works.The side-effects are,however,considerably less then the standard treatment.Goodluck William.
                wmland@... writes:

                > Hello everyone.My name is William,I live in Holland,diagnosed HCV-1b.After
                > standard treatment and a lot of other things!!!!! I am now on the
                > Peg-combo.I already got a lot of info from the group.Fantastic!.I wish
                > everyone goodluck and will gladly share my experiences with you.William.

                Hi William,
                And welcome. I am considering going on the peg-combo. I really had a bad
                reaction to the ribaviron with the original combo. Any info from you would
                be appreciated.
                I haven't been to Holland in many years. It's a beautiful country. I still
                have my very own pair of wooden shoes, which I wear here when it rains. They
                are better than boots.
                Good luck and God bless,

              • Patricia Jean
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 13, 2002
                  Hey William!!

                  I have a friend in Holland, in Deurne. She visited us last summer for 6
                  weeks and we had a blast. I'm hoping to vist her this summer and experience
                  Holland myself!

                  I'm in Grand Prairie Texas, USA, which is a suburb of Dallas and Ft.Worth
                  actually.

                  I'm hep c +, hep b + (antibody), finished treatment last April and was
                  undetected until my 6th month post treatment pcr which had my viral load
                  skyrocketing, which is usual when it comes back they say and should settle
                  down on it's own. Treatment also screwed with my thyroid, which has returned
                  to mostly normal (4something on TSH).

                  My genotype is 1b also.

                  Welcome to the group!

                  alley
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 17, 2002
                    In a message dated 3/13/2002 5:23:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    wmland@... writes:

                    > Hi Anne.I was three times on standard treatment.Interferon and Ribavarine.I
                    > have been in a trial with the first two weeks 6 million units of interferon
                    > EVERYDAY plus 1000 mg.Ribavarine.Boy was a sick.Every time my PCR was
                    > undetectable after 12 wks.However a relapsed after stopping treatment.I
                    > have some things against me,age 60,1b,and male.Woman do better.Now I am in
                    > my 15month of Peg-Combo.100mg,1000 mg. Rebetol.Another 3 months to go.Side
                    > effects depend largly on the individual.Brainfog is the worse side effect I
                    > experience.Forgetting things etc.Can.t play chess.I strongely advise you to
                    > do the Peg-Combo and if your Doc and insurance agree take one year of
                    > treatment.I take paracetamol for the flu-like sympthons and it works.The
                    > side-effects are,however,considerably less then the standard
                    > treatment.Goodluck William

                    Dear William,
                    The Navy is writing the protocol for this even as I write. Dr. Nemec is
                    fearful of me taking Ribavirin again. We all have brain fog, if mine gets
                    much worse, I'm going to forget where I live. Thanks for the update and good
                    luck to you, too. Anne

                  • Suzy Balone
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 18, 2002
                      william
                      wwhat a trooper , on the combo 3 times and now on the peg! I relapsed after
                      my first round and needed a break plus thought maybe something else would or
                      will come around. is the brain fog worse on the peg than the combo?
                      Good luck to you hope it works this time around
                      Suzy

                    • willem landstra
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 19, 2002
                        Hi Suzy.Yes I.am a exception on the rules.When I heard that I had this bug
                        I wanted to beat it.Fight back it.s in my nature.The thing what puzzels me
                        is How did I get this virus.I never had bloodtransfusion I never took
                        drugs.I did however travelled widely around the world.Since so many people
                        have C,in China it is epedemic there must be other ways then bloodcontact in
                        which the virus is being transmitted.Mabye sexually.Can somebody enlighten
                        me on this since my Doc does.nt know either.The brainfog is getting worse
                        and more then with the standard treatment.If I relapse again I will wait
                        until new treatment is available.This thing has dominated my live for the
                        last five years and I want to pick it up again.Anyway a lot of other people
                        are worse off.Count our blessings.Goodluck William.
                        > wwhat a trooper , on the combo 3 times and now on the peg! I relapsed
                        after
                        > my first round and needed a break plus thought maybe something else would
                        or
                        > will come around. is the brain fog worse on the peg than the combo?
                        > Good luck to you hope it works this time around
                        > Suzy

                      • Suzy Balone
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 19, 2002
                          William,
                          Yes I try and count my bleesings everyday, there is so much to be thankful
                          for. I could hardly cope with the brain fog from the combo but I guess in
                          your case it could be that you've had so many years of treatment that it
                          accumulate. I sincerely hope you beat this disease this time. There is some
                          literature where you cna pick up the disease if you have many partners and
                          not a monomagous one. I don't quite understand that part of it myself. and
                          it seems like possibly if you get the virus from blood and then gets into
                          parts of your mucous membranes it sometimes can be transmitted that way. I
                          think it is so insidious that disease that we may not know all the ways.
                          Then I have heard also that the virus can stay alive for a very long period
                          of time outside the body so it could be you contracted it a number of ways.
                          Good luck with the rest of your treatment .I have forgotten how much longer
                          do you have on the peg?
                          Hope you a have a good day.
                          Take care
                          Suzy

                        • willem landstra

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 20, 2002
                              ----------
                              >From: "willem landstra" <wmland@...>

                              >.The thing what puzzels me
                              > is How did I get this virus.I never had bloodtransfusion I never took
                              > drugs.I did however travelled widely around the world.Since so many people
                              > have C,in China it is epedemic there must be other ways then bloodcontact in
                              > which the virus is being transmitted.Mabye sexually.Can somebody enlighten
                              > me on this since my Doc does.nt know either.

                              Willem-

                              A quote from Dr Gott in his article in today's paper (at least in my area)-

                              'Thank heavens things have changed. Today's syringes and needles are
                              disposable, so the risk of infection is nil. The possibility of hepatitis,
                              a viral liver inflammation, is likewise eliminated. Only the good lord
                              knows what viruses and microbes survived the old sterlilization process.'

                              Also, in the early 1990's, I remember hearing once or twice on the radio
                              news at work-not on TV!, that the most widely used medical disinfectant was
                              being dropped because it had been found not to kill all known microbes.
                              Could those have been HIV and HCV, both newly identified viruses at the
                              time?

                              Many believe that they were inadvertently infected by medical procedures
                              such as the mass, herd vaccinations in the 50s & 60s, military shots, dental
                              work, invasive medical procedures, etc.

                              The CDC site does say that it is very rarely transmitted by sex, especially
                              if a person is in a monagomous relationship. Another site questioned if the
                              slightly higher infection rate amongst more promiscuous people is really due
                              to sex or the fact that they also had a higher rate of other risk factors.
                              I do know that my husband does not have HCV. If HCV were truly a sexually
                              transmitted disease, this would not be the case, and there are many, many
                              monagamous couple where one has HCV and the other doesn't.

                              It is my opinion that until this virus was identified, how could the medical
                              profession protect the patients from it and so inadvertently infected many.

                              gail
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                                In a message dated 3/20/2002 7:16:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                gailsamples@... writes:

                                > A quote from Dr Gott in his article in today's paper (at least in my area)-
                                >
                                > 'Thank heavens things have changed. Today's syringes and needles are
                                > disposable, so the risk of infection is nil. The possibility of hepatitis,
                                > a viral liver inflammation, is likewise eliminated. Only the good lord
                                > knows what viruses and microbes survived the old sterlilization process.'
                                >
                                > Also, in the early 1990's, I remember hearing once or twice on the radio
                                > news at work-not on TV!, that the most widely used medical disinfectant was
                                > being dropped because it had been found not to kill all known microbes.
                                > Could those have been HIV and HCV, both newly identified viruses at the
                                > time?
                                >
                                > Many believe that they were inadvertently infected by medical procedures
                                > such as the mass, herd vaccinations in the 50s & 60s, military shots,
                                > dental
                                > work, invasive medical procedures, etc.
                                >
                                > The CDC site does say that it is very rarely transmitted by sex, especially
                                > if a person is in a monagomous relationship. Another site questioned if
                                > the
                                > slightly higher infection rate amongst more promiscuous people is really
                                > due
                                > to sex or the fact that they also had a higher rate of other risk factors.
                                > I do know that my husband does not have HCV. If HCV were truly a sexually
                                > transmitted disease, this would not be the case, and there are many, many
                                > monagamous couple where one has HCV and the other doesn't.
                                >
                                > It is my opinion that until this virus was identified, how could the
                                > medical
                                > profession protect the patients from it and so inadvertently infected many.
                                >
                                > gail

                                > Access Your PC from Anywhere
                                > It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.

                                Gail has a very valid point. I remember the days when we used to hold "pot
                                luck" luncheons for birthdays in microbiology for birthdays, lab week, etc.

                                I think I became infected with HCV because of a needle stab by a paranoid
                                psychotic patient, but I could have had it longer than that. If so, my liver
                                really is in better shape than it should be. Of course, I never was a big
                                partier either. I certainly never did intravenous drugs. The shots were the
                                hardest part about treatment. I HATE NEEDLES!!!!!!!!!! Almost to the point
                                of paranoia. My first husband was HCV negative and so is David.

                                None of my doctors can figure it out either, unless I acquired it
                                professionally. Go figure. Your guess will be just as good as your docs.

                                Good luck and good health,

                              • Constance Dickson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                                  I was given the 28 pints of blood was either Nov. or
                                  Dec. 1991. I was still in shock and not aware of
                                  things. Only thing I remember is them grafting the
                                  girl in room with me before me she had only been there
                                  a couple days. She was Black and I had thought that
                                  maybe skin more fragile, well, thats what I had
                                  thought, I found out later why. Was because grease
                                  and chemical burns, burn from the inside out, and they
                                  wait till it is done. They had given me B along with
                                  the C. So I know they weren't checking to hard, smile
                                  Take Care, Connie

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                                    I wasn't thinking lots of people do not know it is St
                                    Petersburg when I say St Pete.

                                    Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards�
                                    http://movies.yahoo.com/
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                                      When I lived in St. Pete and raced at Tampa Bay Downs, there was a saying
                                      that no old people live in St. Pete...the old folks live in Miami and their
                                      grandparents live in St. Pete <g>

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                                        LOL, thats a good one. They now all go to Inverness
                                        and Beverly Hills Fl. You have horses?

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 24, 2002
                                          I worked with thoroughbred race horses for 13 years...I was a groom and
                                          traveled the circuit: Kentucky in the spring, usually New Jersey (Momouth
                                          Park) in the summer and either Florida or California in the winter. I was
                                          young then and able to lift those 100# sacks of oats and bales of straw and
                                          hay...but my back eventually gave out on me and I got tired of being on the
                                          road all the time so I left the track and went to college to build a
                                          different life.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                            So what did you change your life to Tat?

                                            Got me curious :)

                                            alley
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                              Went to college and majored in office management and did that for a long
                                              time, then switched track again and got certified in Novell network
                                              administration and computer repair until I was diagnosed and I went back
                                              to office work so I didn't have the high stress and long hours that come
                                              with working in technology.

                                              How's that for a lifetime of changes <g>

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                                Hi.With yr skills you should be able to get a job.I do voluntary work for the homeless.There was one kid who could do wonders with computers.A lot of people buy computers here but panic when they have a problem,due to Bill Gates.He put a notice in the supermarkets and local newspapers.Now he is making enough money to support himself.Don.t worry about feeding you and the cats.If things really are getting taft there are enough people on this group who will see you through,I being o0ne of them.Goodluck William.

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                                  Willem, this is so nice of you. Tatezi says she can make it on her own
                                                  with the kitties as long as she's getting unemployment.....but Tat, if
                                                  you need money for the cats, please do say something....I don't want to
                                                  see you lose those cats and I see a lot of people care too. Thanks to
                                                  you all. Tatezi, we are only an email away, don't forget that!!

                                                  Hugggggggs
                                                  Carol

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                                    In a message dated 3/24/2002 11:23:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                    tatezi1@... writes:

                                                    > When I lived in St. Pete and raced at Tampa Bay Downs, there was a saying
                                                    > that no old people live in St. Pete...the old folks live in Miami and their
                                                    > grandparents live in St. Pete <g>

                                                    I've heard that one before......the rest of it is that the send their kids to
                                                    Florida Southern in Lakeland. I think that was added because there were so
                                                    many middle aged students enrolled there. What were you racing?

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Mar 25, 2002
                                                      In a message dated 3/24/2002 11:50:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                      tatezi1@... writes:

                                                      > I worked with thoroughbred race horses for 13 years...I was a groom and
                                                      > traveled the circuit: Kentucky in the spring, usually New Jersey (Momouth
                                                      > Park) in the summer and either Florida or California in the winter. I was
                                                      > young then and able to lift those 100# sacks of oats and bales of straw and
                                                      > hay...but my back eventually gave out on me and I got tired of being on the
                                                      > road all the time so I left the track and went to college to build a
                                                      > different life.

                                                      Okay that answers that question. That must have been a lot of fun. I
                                                      understand about the back.

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Mar 26, 2002
                                                        Thanks, Carol. And I would never lose my guys...no matter what happens,
                                                        they stay with me. They are my family and you don't give your family
                                                        away during hard times. And I finally got my stereo sold yesterday so my
                                                        Tipper can get into the vet...he has a couple lumps that need looking
                                                        into and since odds are they will require removal, I sold my stereo so I
                                                        could pay for the surgery.