Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Doc

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2002
      Dear Connie,
      You do seem to have enlarged glands , I am wondering if they are on the arms and forearms as well..if so they maybe nerve sheath tumors( benign) called neurofibromas.
      If they are indeed enlarged lymph nodes then you must have one biopsied or aspirated straight away. Being on IFN for this long lowers your immunity and makes you prone for a lymphoreticular disorder like lymphoma.
      I am also wondering why the docs you have been seeing and paying so much cant tell you what they are!
      You lower BS indicates that you must cut down on your diabetic medication for otherwise you may experience changes in conscious level. Let me know what your current meds are and I will help.
      Lowering of sugar may also be causing you weight loss, anyway its best right now that you stay away from Combo.
      Take care, I am doing fine, say hi to Eddie as well.

      Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

      Doc,
      What would make most of my Lymph nodes be enlarged
      especially in the head and neck area area? Have found
      enlarged ones that did not know that they existed.
      The ones that I thought were part of my skull now have
      ones closer in across from each other. The one in the
      regular place on area of left ear is big and hard and
      is kind of has a point on it. Have them on my neck to
      and in armpits. Keep finding new ones. A couple in
      the groin area also. I am also trembling and jerking
      tonight is making it hard to type. Saw a pain
      management Dr yesterday he was pretty thorough. They
      tested my blood sugar and it was 69. He told me about
      something new where you take it before you eat and
      once it gets BS lower it cuts out, forget the name.
      Do you think BS went down because being off Meds? He
      was quite expensive but he was worth it, $124 for
      initial appt. then will be $75 when go back. He gave
      me 10 mg Lortabs and more than the 30 Dr A was giving
      me of 7.5, Soma 35 mg and the amitriptylimine. Also
      gave me Celexa for depression but was $75 so I did not
      get it filled. The Amitriptylimine has some
      anti-depressant in it and I think that it will take
      care of it, well at least I hope it will. He does
      something that I think is good he has you sign a
      contract about what you do with pain meds. He said I
      should take the amitriptylimine for the Fibro and I
      figure it might help the pain I have been having in my
      hands from the CTS. I have been feeling so much
      better lately. I do have some pain in Liver and
      Spleen area more so in Liver area than spleen, it is
      kind of like a gnawing pain, don't know why having
      pain there. Dropped 12 lbs since off meds, thought it
      was 10 but looked at journal and was 12, my abdomen
      has went down some too which I figure is good. He is
      a very nice and understanding Dr.
      Take Care, Connie
      PS Eddie asked how you and family were doing and told
      me to tell you Hi and to Thank You for helping me.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com

    • Constance Dickson
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 3, 2002
        I take 5 mgs of Glucatrol daily. Where would I look
        on arms and forearms? Have found some on the back of
        my neck too. I think they worry Eddie more than me.
        :-) Only ones that is real prominent is the one
        behind left ear and the ones on the back of my head.
        Take Care and Thank You.
        Connie

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • Doc
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 3, 2002
          You can try and break it up by taking it 1/2 before breakfast and half before dinner, that may prevent the fall in sugar you are experiencing in the late day time.
          Regarding your glands I think you should have one tested by aspiration cytology.

          Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

          http://auctions.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 26, 2002
            Doc, I wish I could just up and come to the US. In a perfect world, I
            would get the meds I really need. Due to financial problems, and being
            on disability...which the pay leaves a lot to be desired lol....there's
            no way I can do it. I'll work on my Doc, but I know he can't prescribe
            what isn't approved yet. I didn't know that Canadian medical is good in
            the US. Won't ever buy travel insurance anymore :-( Thanks anyway,
            you're quite a guy!!

            Carol

          • Lora
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 22, 2002
              Doc,
              Just wondering if you might have missed my question again, haven't seen a reply?
              Thanx, Lora

              Hi Doc,
              I might have had the question you missed so here it is again... thanx, Lora
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 25, 2002
                Lora,
                Sorry I had missed that earlier.
                Read on for response:

[...]

                It is good that youre nondetectable now and thus a 6 months course of combo will suffice for you. This holds true for genotype 2, 3 and 1 with low viral loads. Make sure at the end of 6 months that you remain HCV negative.

                Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

              • lora632001
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 26, 2002
                  Thanx so much Doc! Take care of you!
                  Grace & peace, Lora

                • jcmmo@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 6, 2002
                    3 weeks ago I had a compression fracture of my left femur. I was in
                    traction for 4 days while the doctors looked for reasons to cause the
                    fracture. There was no trauma or fall. One of the doctors suspected a
                    tumor but the bone and body scans were negative. The ortho doc put a
                    titanium rod and 3 large screws to fix the bone. A catheter was put in
                    before surgery and was removed 2 days before I went home. 3 days after
                    coming home I spiked a temp of 102.5 and went to my doctor. I had no
                    idea what was wrong.
                    B/P was 78/52, pulse 132 and I was jaundiced. I felt like I was dying.
                    I was sent back to the hospital and put in the telemetry unit. After
                    cultures were done I was diagnosed as being septic with Ecoli that
                    originated in a UTI. I am very lucky that it was caught in time. I am
                    concerned that the infection might have caused more damage to my liver.
                    Since the infection
                    I have pitting edema in both feet. I am on 20 mg of lasix and my home
                    nurse called my doctor for an increase in dosage.
                    I am taking potassium, cipro, calcium, hydrocodone and iron tid. My
                    hemoglobin
                    went down to 8 while in the hospital.
                    I am praying that this infection hasn't ruined my chance for treatment
                    for hep c.
                    I am a 1b with cirrhosis,vl 365,000 IU.
                    I wish I had more info to give you.
                    Thank you for your help.

                    Judy M

                    http://community.webtv.net/jcmmo/Affirmation
                  • Doc
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 6, 2002
                      Hi Judy,

                      You seem to be having an acute systemic infection , it might make your LFT abnormal as well. It is important that this infection be adequately treated and once its taken care of you should be able to undergo Hep C threatment. Have your LFTs checked, none of the drugs used will harm the liver but if LFTs are abnormal I would cahage the cipro to a cephalosporin.

                      All the best.

                      Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 26, 2002
                        Dear Claudine,
                        Thanks for your kind words and generous offer :) , we treat women with respect and admiration, however young or old they maybe.
                        We are having a Hep B group meeting in PA this year and I wish I could organise something like a Hep C meet sometime!

                        You are right in thinking that a lot of docs overdrug and over or under test. The problem is they never talk to the patient or relatives. That is their pitfall.
                        I sometimes only talk to patients and do not prescribe any medication, at these times they only want some explanations or assurance, not meds or tests.
                        Elderly are special and I always compliment them for reaching the age they have. Maybe because I never saw any grandparent ( they all died before I was born except my materanl grandmother with whom I spent some delightful summer vacations as a young kid).

                        Hope your grandmother gets well soon and maybe you can call us for her centenary birthday celebrations.

                        Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

                        --- Doc <gidoc@...> wrote:
                        > I agree, individual needs have to be considered and treat each case
                        > on its merit and not merely by the book.

                        Hi Doc,
                        I just HAVE to comment! I can't think of any one thing that is
                        more important than what you have said! I know sometimes it's not
                        always easy for a doctor to do this when they have a lot of patients
                        to see and treat, not to mention insurance companies to deal with,
                        but when you have a doctor who can do this it can make all the
                        difference in the world. I feel real lucky to have found a PCP who
                        really listens to me and doesn't treat me like I'm crazy if I say I
                        feel bad when according to some book or lab I should feel good! And
                        over this past 3 months, dealing with one doctor after another who
                        wants to lump my 93 year old grandmother into the exact same mold as
                        anyone else her age has made me REALLY appreciate it! It is very
                        annoying to try and discuss her needs with a doctor who is seeing her
                        for the first time, and he hasn't even bothered to read her chart or
                        review her health problems and what's been going on with her during
                        this period, and he just starts telling us it's this or that just
                        because of her age and wants to just drug her up. I've never seen a
                        group of doctors in my life so anxious to hand out pain medications,
                        anti-psychotics, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, etc., and yet you
                        have to argue to get a simple blood test done to check her sodium
                        levels when we (who know her better than anyone) KNOW that in the
                        past when these symptoms occurred her sodium level was very low. If
                        I'm sounding frustrated today it's because I am! I just got home from
                        12 long, physically and emotionally exhausting hours in the nursing
                        home where my grandmother is. No one seems to care. THANK YOU for
                        being you! You remind me that there really are doctors who care. I
                        know you aren't the only one, but sometimes I feel like it!

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 26, 2002
                          --- Doc <gidoc@...> wrote:
                          > Dear Claudine,
                          > Thanks for your kind words and generous offer :) ,

                          You're welcome, but does that mean you don't want her? Oh well, you
                          would have to be an animal lover (she has dogs, cats, a pet scorpion
                          named Veda, and a 5' pet albino python named Bones); and of course
                          you would have to move to Texas. If you change your mind, let me
                          know.

                          > We are having a Hep B group meeting in PA this year and I wish I
                          > could organise something like a Hep C meet sometime!

                          That would be so great if we could do that sometime! This group has
                          become like another family to me. Maybe someday we will manage to do
                          this!

                          I'm glad you think elderly are special. I think so too. There is not
                          enough respect for the elderly in this country. Many are just sent
                          off to nursing homes by their family, and most of these nursing homes
                          are pretty depressing places. It is very sad to watch what so many
                          are going through, not just health-wise, but many are so very lonely!
                          And bored too! My grandmother is 93 and has lived a good long and
                          happy life. She is the most kind hearted person I have ever known and
                          is loved by many. I would love it if she was still around to
                          celebrate her 100th birthday, but only if she is happy and
                          comfortable during those years. Hopefully she will get well, but if
                          not I just hope she does not suffer. She is my last surviving
                          grandparent. I knew them all, and the relationships I had with each
                          of them was unique and wonderful. I love my parents, but my
                          grandparents were special is a different way. I hope that someday I
                          will be as wonderful a grandmother to my grandchildren as she/they
                          were to me. (If I ever get any! Don't forget my offer!)

                          My daughter would KILL me if she knew about this, lol!

                          http://health.yahoo.com
                        • Doc
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 27, 2002
                            It would be nice to have a Hep C Meet , look for a place and sponsors...Hep C has been in big news .

                            Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

                          • GWhel@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 9, 2002
                              Hi Doc,

                              I've completed 21 weeks of combo, 16 of neupogen, and 13 of procrit.

                              Had 850,000 copies before treatment.

                              PCR now shows 133,000 copies. Doctor said today I'm not responding and that I
                              should withdraw from treatment and wait a few years for new treatment.

                              Does this seem correct? I'm 1a and, though I had my fingers crossed, I was
                              prepared to be a nonresponder since I didn't respond twice to mono therapy
                              before, but I was hoping to stave off HCC and possible get some reversal of
                              fibrosis by staying on treatment for full term.

                              I'm really bummed having to quit treatment.

                              Thanks for your response.

                              Your friend,
                              Gene
                            • AlleyPat
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 11, 2002
                                Gene sorry to hear that. Usually with genotype 1's, if you don't go undetected by the 6th mo, the doc takes you off treatment. Now there are people out there who chose to continue treatment anyway, and eventually did to undetected. But you have to weigh your current health concerns with what the treatment might do to you as well.

                                Good luck

                                Alley

                                "You are only given a little spark of madness.You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams

                                ICQ 12631861
                                Yahoo Alleypat
                                AIM DallasAlleyPat
                                MSN Alleypat

                              • Mzgee1@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 11, 2002
                                  Hey Gene...just htought I'd share this with you.. Tho I am 2b, I didn't go
                                  undectable until 9 months into treatment (standard combo). My doc often
                                  referred to me as a 2b who acted like a 1 !!! My poiny: wo knows what will
                                  happen in a few weeks more..or even another 3 months or even 6...as far as I
                                  know I am still undectable, or at least was at the 9 month post treatment
                                  mark. I am 16 months post treatment and over due for a PCR..but still feel
                                  confident it will be undect.. If your doc will let you, why not hang in
                                  there fro a while longer?? Like I said, just wanted to share my story with
                                  you. luv, gee

                                • GWhel@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 11, 2002
                                    Alley and Gee.....thanks for your responses. I hope to hear from Doc soon and
                                    see what he says. The blood was drawn two weeks ago for the PCR, so that was
                                    only 19 weeks into treatment.

                                    Going from 850,000 copies to 133,000 sounded positive to me. I asked my
                                    doctor if I should increase from .4 peg to .5, and he said, no, because it's
                                    working. Then he left the room to go talk to the main HCV doctor and came
                                    back and said I wasn't responding, that they were going to stop treatment and
                                    wait to see what becomes available in the next few years. I just about begged
                                    him to leave me on treatment, especially since the weekly Procrit injections
                                    have brought my hemoglobin up from 9.1 to 12.5 and the Neupogen has increased
                                    my absolute neutrophil count, but he said it was certain I wouldn't respond
                                    and so there was no sense in continuing treatment. Bummer....

                                    I mentioned I had been hoping the interferon would at least stave off HCC and
                                    maybe even reverse some fibrosis, even if I didn't clear the virus, but he
                                    didn't think that would be the case. It was a long ride home from the Omaha
                                    VA back to Des Moines.

                                    I have enough meds for another four weeks, and I feel like continuing until
                                    it's gone.

                                    Gene
                                  • Doc
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 12, 2002
                                      Hi Gene,

                                      Recent work has shown that a 4 wk HCV-RNA load reduction following therapy is highly predictive of response to treatment.
                                      A minimin of 2 log reduction at 1 month follows a good chance of ETR( HCV-RNA undetectable).
                                      Do you have any previous readings of HCV-RNA after beginning treatment?
                                      Also what is your current ALT?

                                      Your viral load is definitely down and that alone has been associated with histological improvement in the long run.

                                      I would continue to monitor HCV-RNA load and continue treatment for 48 wks, barring any side effects. There is no better treatment and none forthcoming either so there is a slim chance of a ETR at the end of one year. However, if there is no change in viral load after another 3 months or it begins to rise , then I would discontinue treatment.

                                      All the best and hope this helps.

                                      Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 12, 2002
                                        Hi Doc,

                                        I had told you I'd completed 21 weeks of combo when my doctor took me off
                                        12/09.

                                        Is HCV-RNA the result of PCR?

                                        I had 850,000 copies a year ago. Wasn't done again till two weeks
                                        ago...133,000 at that time.

                                        I thought that indicated I was responding.

                                        You asked about my ALT:

                                        01/26/98 160
                                        02/27/98 118
                                        03/02/98 114
                                        04/02/98 113
                                        05/29/98 126
                                        06/22/98 152
                                        09/15/98 120
                                        04/05/99 129
                                        05/17/99 152
                                        10/14/99 150
                                        11/29/99 116
                                        04/10/00 127
                                        05/30/00 117
                                        11/13/00 134
                                        12/05/00 139
                                        03/26/01 135
                                        04/01/02 153
                                        04/09/02 114
                                        12/09/02 57

                                        AST is 43, which is half of the lowest value in four years. It's been around
                                        100 for the past four years.

                                        I'm thinking of writing the doctor (I'd call but probably wouldn't reach him.
                                        He comes to the Omaha VA from the University of Nebraska Medical Center and
                                        I'm in Des Moines, IA) to ask if I can be put back on treatment. I never did
                                        actually get to talk to him. The doctor assigned to me left the exam room
                                        with the lab results and had a conference with the head doctor, then came
                                        back to me with instructions to cease treatment because I should have been
                                        lower than 133,000 at 19 weeks.

                                        I don't want to put you on the spot, but I have 21 weeks invested. Do you
                                        have any suggestions concerning how I can plead my case?

                                        I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable, but I trust your opinion and
                                        don't want to wait another few years. Right now my next appointment is on
                                        06/08/03 for CBC. The doctor then plans to talk to me about a biopsy. The
                                        last one was done 01/96 and showed mild fibrosis.

                                        I've been taking Procrit and Neupogen. Hemoglobin is 12.5. ANC is around
                                        1500.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Gene
                                      • Mscue40@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 14, 2002
                                          HI Gene, I couldn't believe they are going to take you off the medicine. You
                                          have been such a great trooper. I hope you can find another Dr. to take a
                                          look at your medical records.
                                          All my thoughts and prayers have been with you.
                                          You have always been so kind to me.
                                          Donna

                                        • GWhel@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 15, 2002
                                            Donna,

                                            Thanks for your concern.

                                            I'm uninsurable. I think the VA knows that many Vietnam veterans may be
                                            infected because of their service, and though they are not admitting
                                            liability, they are treating us. If a doctor refuses to treat me further
                                            right now, I doubt the VA would allow me to side step and go seek treatment
                                            at another VA facility. I could be wrong.

                                            I was having blood work done every two weeks (was on procrit and neupogen),
                                            but as it stands now, my next appointment is sceduled for 06/08/03 for CBC.
                                            My doc in Omaha will decide then whether nor not to scedule a biopsy. He's
                                            wanting to wait for newer developments in treatment.

                                            He took me off at week 21. I have enough meds for 24. I'm going to finish
                                            them up anyway.

                                            Take care,
                                            Hope you're well,
                                            Gene