Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Questions for Doc and list

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
      Hi Judy,
      I can't help with the CT results, other than to say that 'benign'
      indicates something NON-cancerous. As for peg-interferon and
      cirrhosis, you might go to this paper:

      New AASLD Report
      Written for NATAP by Andrew Talal, MD, Cornell-Ny Hospital, NYC
      http://www.natap.org/2001/aasld2/day38.htm

      Scroll down to:

      Abstract 282: Impact of pegylated interferon alfa-2B and ribavirin on
      progression of liver fibrosis.

      There is some information in this report on how treatment might
      benefit you, even if you have cirrhosis, and even in non-responders.

      Good luck!

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • Doc
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1 5:35 AM
        Dear Judy,

        Your liver seems to have a benign, non cancerous hemangioma ( a collection of blood vessels) for which you have to take no treatment, it will stay that way and do no harm.
        Your spleen may be enlarged due to the portal hypertension which accompanies cirrhosis, however no echotexture changes are described in the liver which is unusual and no collaterals are seen near the spleen either. The cause of enlarged lymph nodes is not apparent and a big spleen may also be the part of the same process.
        Your doc should be looking for some more changes in your hematology work up to see why lymph glands are enlarged. They could well be the cause of your abdominal discomfort along with the big spleen.
        You don't have liver cancer but you should have a blood test for alpha fetoprotein which is a cancer marker.
        With a high viral load, you should certainly seek re-treatment and Peg IFN and Riba is a good option, response also depends on your genotype and the duration of treatment.

        Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

        I have been having abdominal discomfort
        for about 2 months. My Doc ordered a CT Scan of the abdomen. The
        report is difficult for me to understand. I don't see my Doc until next
        week.
        Part of the report said......This indicates a benign hemangioma. No
        other liver lesions are identified.
        The spleen is 20 cm in craniocaudad length and is enlarged. There are
        several small lymph nodes that are periaortic in the upper abdomen
        superior to the celiac
        arterial access. the largest of these is 1.4 cm on the series 3,image
        23. there is a 1.3 x 2.4 cm structure on the series 3.image 30 between
        the duodenum and the inferior vena cava that I believe is a portion of
        the pancreatic head and is less likely a lymph node.
        conclusion:
        1. small 1 cm hemangioma in the right lobe of the liver. no other liver
        abnormalities are identified.
        2. Mildly prominent lymph nodes in the upper abdomen surrounding the
        celiac artery axis and periaortic in location. These are of unknown
        etiology and no other abnormal lymphadenopathy is identified.
        3. 3 mm left kidney stone without obstruction.
        4. There is splenomegaly with the craniocaudad length of the spleen at
        20 cm with no underlying mass identified.

        I am wondering if I should be going on
        peg to stop cancer from developing???
        I have had HCV for 30 years, 1B, 54 years old female. I did Intron A
        and the combo
        and never cleared the virus. My viral load is 1 million and I have
        cirrhosis.
        I need all the input I can get.

        Thank you,
        Judy M

        http://community.webtv.net/jcmmo/Affirmation

      • Patricia Jean
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1 8:10 AM
          As far as I know (and that ain't far :), Interferon isn't used for a lot of
          cancers. So far, I've only read about it being used on Melanoma (before it
          causes tumors).

          I wouldn't take the ribavirin if I had cancer because I have read a few
          studies where it causes tumors in rats (accelerates fast growing cells, the
          purpose is to replicate the HCV cells till they die and not allow them to
          mutate, so the body can find them and kill them). My opinion of course, I
          could be totally wrong!

          Hey, I'm blonde. :)

          alley
          http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/happyheppers
        • Constance Dickson
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2 2:24 AM
            Doc,
            What would make most of my Lymph nodes be enlarged
            especially in the head and neck area area? Have found
            enlarged ones that did not know that they existed.
            The ones that I thought were part of my skull now have
            ones closer in across from each other. The one in the
            regular place on area of left ear is big and hard and
            is kind of has a point on it. Have them on my neck to
            and in armpits. Keep finding new ones. A couple in
            the groin area also. I am also trembling and jerking
            tonight is making it hard to type. Saw a pain
            management Dr yesterday he was pretty thorough. They
            tested my blood sugar and it was 69. He told me about
            something new where you take it before you eat and
            once it gets BS lower it cuts out, forget the name.
            Do you think BS went down because being off Meds? He
            was quite expensive but he was worth it, $124 for
            initial appt. then will be $75 when go back. He gave
            me 10 mg Lortabs and more than the 30 Dr A was giving
            me of 7.5, Soma 35 mg and the amitriptylimine. Also
            gave me Celexa for depression but was $75 so I did not
            get it filled. The Amitriptylimine has some
            anti-depressant in it and I think that it will take
            care of it, well at least I hope it will. He does
            something that I think is good he has you sign a
            contract about what you do with pain meds. He said I
            should take the amitriptylimine for the Fibro and I
            figure it might help the pain I have been having in my
            hands from the CTS. I have been feeling so much
            better lately. I do have some pain in Liver and
            Spleen area more so in Liver area than spleen, it is
            kind of like a gnawing pain, don't know why having
            pain there. Dropped 12 lbs since off meds, thought it
            was 10 but looked at journal and was 12, my abdomen
            has went down some too which I figure is good. He is
            a very nice and understanding Dr.
            Take Care, Connie
            PS Eddie asked how you and family were doing and told
            me to tell you Hi and to Thank You for helping me.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • jcmmo@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2 5:26 AM
              I must of written in my usual confusing manner...LOL
              What I meant to say..... I want to on interferon as maintenance.....I
              feel that the colchicine study isn't slowing the virus down. I guess I
              am getting nervous having lost 3 friends to this disease recently.
              I will post after seeing my doc on tuesday.

              hugs,

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2 5:29 AM
                Thanks to everyone for all their help.