questions on Peg Intron or Pegasys

  • woolf2853
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2002
      Hello,

      I don't write a lot, in fact I don't remember the last time i wrote,
      but since I went to the doctor this afternoon and he told me I should
      really start treatment, I'd like to know who is on Peg and who has
      done the treatment and what results you got from it.
      I have known about my hep C since 1995 and have been looking after my
      immune system so far taking anti oxidants,sylimarin and following a
      pretty strict diet.
      In the meantime I had a brain tumour (meningioma - benign) removed
      last year (August 2000) and a second one was growing. Yesterday I
      learnt that the second tumour has shrunk to nearly invisible and I
      was very happy, but today came the bad news about my liver!!
      It's one thing after the other! My enzymes have always been on the
      100/150 range, I have grade 2 fibrosis, I am genotype 1B and have a
      medium high viral load (around 3 million).
      I am 48 years old.
      Today the doctor told me that my liver is enlarged (more than last
      year) and also my spleen is big and that i should treat it now and
      not wait any longer.

      Any input would be great!
      Thanks for your help
      Micky in Brazil
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2002
        Hi Micky,
        I remember when you had the one tumor removed, but didn't know
        you had another one. I'm sure glad it went away! The Peg-Intron with
        Rebetol combination is still pretty new here, most people are just
        starting it, or only into a couple of months on it. So we still don't
        have a whole lot of experience. I'm a genotype 1b also, and the
        'odds' are still not the greatest for us, but it is a huge
        improvement over the old stuff. The really good news that's been
        coming out lately is that in so many people, even in those who don't
        have a viral response, the treatment is helping their livers, often
        reversing fibrosis, and also the treatment seems to slow or even stop
        progression in many - and I'm talking about non-responders. These
        results in the condition of the liver are even better in those who do
        respond by clearing the virus. I probably have some information I can
        post on this. Good luck!

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
      • Patricia Jean
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2002
          Hi Micky in Brazil!

          If doc says to treat, and it won't affect your tumor, then it might be a
          good idea to.

          I had a viral load of 1.3 million, inflamation in my liver, normal liver
          enzymes and I had a hard time getting someone to let me do treatment (mostly
          due to the normal liver enzymes and state of the liver). I'm 46.

          I have read tho, and I can't find the article now, tho I did post it here
          about a year ago, that altho they don't know how ribavirin works, the
          scientists THINK it works by making fast growing cells divide and grow even
          faster so they don't have time to mutate. This gives the body time to
          identify the virus and kill it, instead of losing track of it when the virus
          mutates. Sneaky virus huh?

          However a POSSIBLE down side to riba (besides the sides that is haha), it
          also caused other cells to grow, and in mice (dunno how much riba the mice
          got at one time), they grew tumors.

          I am particularly interested in this cuz I was diagnosed with metastatic
          melanoma in Oct last yr. So the question is - did the riba make the melanoma
          mole grow faster or did the interferon keep it from spreading any further
          than it did?

          I have no answers and docs don't know either. I recommend you ask your brain
          tumor doc about the riba tho ok?

          good luck!

          alley
          http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/happyheppers