RE:cirohchiis reversable.

  • runabout_104
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
      If i cd ever spell it right? haha Anyway, I ws just wondering the
      same thing, but there ws much I didn't understand about the article.
      I hv read on some other sites that with people with cirochiss perhaps
      should not even be a candiate for the interferon therapy. I wondered
      what am I actually hoping to gain?? I thought the goal of the therapy
      ws to rid the virus and slow it down before it reached the cirochiss
      stage which is where I am already at. Still, I take the medicinne.
      The side effects, I can get thru, but I must say, I ws more prepared
      for the physical side effects and not so much prepared for the
      depressision and emotion upheaval this medication hs put me thru.
      What is the difference between fibrosis and cirochiss--more severe??
      What am I hoping to gain since I hv already advanced so far??? I had
      an appt @ UVA on the 26th -called b4 I went and there ws an answering
      machine message that said they were closed that dy so I didn't go
      (what ws the use? Then when I called to reschedule ws told I didn't
      hv an appt with the dr that they had originally given me that my appt
      had been moved to another dr -all without my knowlege of course. Now,
      they say I hv to wait another 3 months to get in and they were none
      to nice either!!!!! Duke University -I can't get in until May 29,
      however, they did say to send my records and if it ws serious enough
      they would be bump me up to another appointment closer.But getting
      back--some of the sites I hv been reading on, it doesn't look like I
      ws even a candidate for the interferon to start with so I am really
      confused. When my dr first put me on it, he said, "well, at least u
      would be doing something" What kind of answer is that to when I asked
      him if it ws too late for treatment. I don't hv ascities, or edema,
      and my alt and ast ws not over 200 another reason they said would
      knock me out of treatment and I am a genotype 2b with advance
      cirochiss-so sometimes I wonder what I am doing. Help!! Any info
      appreciated.
      cheri
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2002
        Cher,
        Ok, I am remembering all about this doctor you are seeing - and it
        was obvious he didn't know a whole lot about HCV and the treatments -
        right? He didn't even know that the pegyalted interferon had been
        approved, right? So - I don't think you do really have advanced cirrhosis.
        Early cirrhosis maybe, but not advanced. There are many signs of advanced
        cirrhosis, and you don't seem to have any of them, and also when cirrhosis
        is advanced people don't usually do too well (physically) on treatment.
        And you sound like you are doing fine. Fibrosis is scar tissue. Cirrhosis
        is the name given to the disease that is caused by the build up of
        fibrosis. When there is so much scar tissue built up that blood flow
        through the liver is reduced, and function is impaired, then you are said
        to have cirrhosis. And whereever you are reading that if you have
        cirrhosis you are not a canidate for treatment is somewhere that is not
        up-to-date on the info being given out. Even the government is treating
        those with cirrhosis. You can still have a viral response if you have
        cirrhosis although your chances are reduced (but you have an easy to treat
        genotype). BUT (and this is the big BUT) even if you do NOT clear the
        virus treatment can still help you. It might stop all progression of the
        disease. Or, it might slow the progression of the disease. And, (this is
        really the new information that is emerging from various studies) it is
        also possible that some of the fibrosis you have - which causes the
        cirrhosis - may even reverse itself - return to normal liver tissue.
        Especially if you have a viral response there is a good chance that your
        liver can repair and heal itself. So the way I see it, it is even MORE
        important for someone with cirrhosis to be on treatment. Only people who
        have decompensated cirrhosis (end-stage liver disease) are probably not
        canidates for treatment, and it does NOT sound like you fall into this
        catagory. Your doctor probably meant that you have advanced fibrosis. Not
        advanced cirrhosis. If you had advanced cirrhosis you would probably be
        very sick and have a lot of symptoms from it, and certain blood tests
        would be out of normal range, not just your ALT, and you would be on a
        transplant list by now. Just stick with what you are doing! Hang in there,
        and try to ignore any negative stuff. And if your antidepressant isn't
        working well be sure and let your PCP know. There are many different
        kinds, and sometimes you need to switch around, find what works best for
        you. Sometimes it is even a combination of things that works best. Avoid
        the negative stuff and think positive! You are doing the right thing.

        http://greetings.yahoo.com