Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Claudine o/t

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2001
      Claudine...my computer is going to quit on me any second. The mail
      closed down, saying it was corrupted...got it back by re-starting
      compi. Taking it to the shop, was hoping to wait till the 7th, but I
      might lose it before then. Yuck, it's awful being without one. At
      least this one is still under warranty, barely. Need another system,
      I guess. Last time it was in the shop, they said wind98 was corrupted
      and had to re-format hard drive. Lost everything on it. I think it's
      the same problem this time. A computer expert told me he has to
      re-install win98 once a year for his customers. Need a new operating
      system too LOL. Will be off-line for a week or so...will catch up
      with the posts when I get compi back. Hoping to stall till the 7th
      though if you don't hear from me you'll know compi is in shop and I'm
      home twiddling my thumbs whaaaaaa whaaaaaa.

      Cher, it's good to hear from you...I've been wondering how you were
      doing.
      Take care

      Carol

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2001
        Good luck with the computer! I'd go nuts without mine
        I think. Mine came with a windows restoration program.
        I've had to use it twice. Now I have made a back-up
        floppy disk that will boot the computer up so I can
        run a scan disk program to find and repair errors.
        Maybe you should see if you can get this. Good luck!
        Claudine
        PS Don't you have a scan disk program? Under
        programs, accessories, system tools?

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2001
          Yep Claudine, I have all those things, a back up disk etc, I defrag
          regularly, scandisk etc. The problem is illegal page faults, frequent
          crashes...and I mean frequent. I've had this problem before, it's
          win98, it's rather unstable. Also I was told that maybe the RAM is
          bad. I want to up the ram to the max, so I'm going to make sure they
          check the RAM, if they say it's ok and I add ram, and it still does
          this, then warranty or no warranty, heads are going to roll. LOL. It
          has to go to the shop, the warranty runs out on Jan. 19, although I
          have another years warranty for labour.

          And yes, I will go nuts without it. Guess I'll catch up on my
          reading.
          Carol

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2001
            Ok, I confess - you lost me. I don't have a clue what
            a illegal page fault is, or what upping the ram to max
            is! Just get it fixed - we will miss you. If it takes
            a while, maybe you can use someone elses computer, or
            one at a library? Don't unsubscribe, just change your
            membership to not to receive mail. Then you can go to
            the web site and read messages, and post from there
            too. Good luck, and happy new year!

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
              LOL Claudine. An illegal page fault just closes your email or
              website, but it's a pain in the rear. Upping the ram = adding more
              memory to the hard drive. Thanks for the suggestion of changing my
              subscription to not getting mail, I will do that! I thought I'd have
              to unsubscribe and then resubscribe. This sounds much better. I will
              only be offline for a little over a week so I can handle that. I
              hope! lol.

              Huggggs
              Carol

              claudine intexas wrote:

              > Ok, I confess - you lost me. I don't have a clue what
              > a illegal page fault is, or what upping the ram to max
              > is! Just get it fixed - we will miss you. If it takes
              > a while, maybe you can use someone elses computer, or
              > one at a library? Don't unsubscribe, just change your
              > membership to not to receive mail. Then you can go to
              > the web site and read messages, and post from there
              > too. Good luck, and happy new year!
              > Claudine

              > http://greetings.yahoo.com

            • Doc
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
                Hi Carol,
                Yes, you can put yourself on no mail and read it from the website.
                Regarding your Win 98 , you could try and repair it , as the cd has that option. If you do not use
                any video graphic or serious games, then 128 mb ram should be good for home use , for a processor
                upwards of 400MH.

                Dr Sharat C Misra MD,DM,FACG

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2002
                  Thanks Doc

                  I would like the mail to still come to me, so I think I'll just leave
                  it. As far as your recommendations, that's the problem. I only have
                  32mb ram on a 400mgz compi. Although I only use less than 600MB,
                  leaving free over 3,000MB I think upping the ram will help with all
                  the crashes. Hoping anyway. Since it's still on warranty I'll take
                  it to the shop. A compi expert told me that the ram I have might be
                  bad, so I shouldn't up the ram until it's verified that ram isn't
                  bad. I have another year of free labour on warranty. I just hope I
                  can trust them if they say the ram I have is good. Ahhhh, life
                  without computers, however did we manage?

                  Thanks again
                  Carol

                  Doc wrote:

                  > Hi Carol,
                  > Yes, you can put yourself on no mail and read it from the website.
                  > Regarding your Win 98 , you could try and repair it , as the cd has that option. If you do not use
                  > any video graphic or serious games, then 128 mb ram should be good for home use , for a processor
                  > upwards of 400MH.
                  >
                  > Dr Sharat C Misra MD,DM,FACG

                • Doc
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2002
                    You mean the hard disk when you say 600 mb and 3000 mb, so leaving enough memory space on hard disk
                    doesnt help the ram at all.
                    If you have a year old pc..you shoud have taken 68 mb ram minimum but the probem with companies is
                    that they sell you a new processor but dont give enough ram..and you dont know that much at that
                    point of time.

                    If its worked for a year , then your 32 mb ram chip is working fine. Dont use mutiple applications
                    at the same time or video files unles you have a video graphic card.

                    Dont change ram chip , add another 64 mb ram or 128 mb ram chip thats all.

                    Dr Sharat C Misra MD,DM,FACG