Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] to Dawn

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 28, 2001
      Hi Dawn

      Well, my eyes have definitely got weaker...had to get bi-focal glasses
      :-{ for the first time last year. But got the lineless ones, can't
      tell they are bi-focals, but alas, my contact lens days are over.
      whaaaaa I haven't been on treatment yet, btw.

      I am having major teeth problems. This is the first time anyone has
      mentioned it. I broke 3 teeth badly in the last year. One had a root
      canal, the other would cost me $500 but it's the back tooth so getting
      it pulled. Then, the worst insult of ever...I was FLOSSING my teeth,
      I have a bottom middle tooth that needed a filling....in the middle of
      flossing the dam thing, out comes 2 huge fillings. Sheeeesh, that
      pissed me right off. I could understand it if I was eating hard
      candy, but to happen when flossing my teeth is a major insult.
      Hmmmpphhhh Another $500 root canal coming up next month.

      I get enuff calcium but I've always had weak enamel. Seems to be
      getting much worse though...don't know if HCV has anything to do with
      it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

      Hugggs
      Carol
      ps. It's ok though, I'm not worrying and I'm being happy :-} Love
      that saying.

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 28, 2001
        I have had major problems with my teeth for years
        - my whole life actually. But much worse in the recent
        years. I could have 10 teeth filled, and 6 months
        later I'd need to have another 6 filled. Too many root
        canals to remember. When I was diagnosed with HCV my
        dentist asked me to ask my GI if the HCV (which my
        dentist considered to be a systemic disease!) could be
        causing the the rapid decay of my teeth. My GI said
        no, but immediately tested me for elevated digestive
        enzymes, and suspected an esophogeal reflux. Both came
        back positive. I had elevated amalayse (both in my
        saliva and pancreatic) and I also had a gastric
        reflux, with acid probably backing up during the night
        causing my teeth to decay faster than usual. Also,
        treatment, with the dry mouth it causes, can cause
        faster decay of teeth. Then there seems to be a
        possible association between HCV and Sjogren's
        syndrome or Sicca syndrome, which causes a dry mouth
        and fast decay of teeth. So there are several things
        to consider. Don't feel bad about the fillings coming
        out because of flossing. I had a tooth (right in
        front, naturally) BREAK off when I bit into a bite of
        cheerios! Another crown - those sure get expensive.
        I'm ready to just get them all pulled!
        My eyes have gotten very bad very fast over the
        past few years. Everyone says it has nothing to do
        with the HCV, but I can't believe how fast my eyesight
        has deteriorated in the past few years. Who knows?
        Nothing would surprise me anymore.
        Claudine

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2001
          Hi Claudine...you just answered all my questions, and removed any
          doubts I might have had the HCV is the cause. Dry mouth: I'm the one
          who has to take water to bed with me. I take water with me everywhere
          I go. The dry mouth isn't caused by treatment cuz I'm not on it yet,
          it's caused by the anti-depressants which I had to start taking cuz of
          all the problems associated with HCV. lol. Gastric reflux: I have a
          stomach ulcer and a duodenal hernia so that's that. I chew a lot of
          tums, guaranteeing my calcium daily intake.

          Like you, I've always had problem teeth, every baby tooth was filled
          according to my Mom, and they figured they paid to put the Dentist's
          kid through college. Dad didn't have dental coverage back in the
          olden days when I was a kid. When my son was born, I started giving
          him flouride drops, everyday till the Dentist said that he was old
          enough that his teeth were all formed. He's only had 3 very minor
          fillings. Also his Dad has good teeth...I thank God he takes after
          him in that way ONLY. lol.

          Also my eyes have gotten much worse in the last few years, before I
          even knew I had HCV. Sounds like you hit the nail right on the head
          again Claudine. As usual.

          Thanks
          Carol
          ps. I'm also thinking about giving it all up and having my teeth
          yanked in about 3-5 years the way things are going. I know I'm
          spending at least $500 in January. Only have a small dental policy
          $250 a year for fillings and cleaning only. Doesn't cover root
          canals.

          claudine intexas wrote:

          > I have had major problems with my teeth for years
          > - my whole life actually. But much worse in the recent
          > years. I could have 10 teeth filled, and 6 months
          > later I'd need to have another 6 filled. Too many root
          > canals to remember. When I was diagnosed with HCV my
          > dentist asked me to ask my GI if the HCV (which my
          > dentist considered to be a systemic disease!) could be
          > causing the the rapid decay of my teeth. My GI said
          > no, but immediately tested me for elevated digestive
          > enzymes, and suspected an esophogeal reflux. Both came
          > back positive. I had elevated amalayse (both in my
          > saliva and pancreatic) and I also had a gastric
          > reflux, with acid probably backing up during the night
          > causing my teeth to decay faster than usual. Also,
          > treatment, with the dry mouth it causes, can cause
          > faster decay of teeth. Then there seems to be a
          > possible association between HCV and Sjogren's
          > syndrome or Sicca syndrome, which causes a dry mouth
          > and fast decay of teeth. So there are several things
          > to consider. Don't feel bad about the fillings coming
          > out because of flossing. I had a tooth (right in
          > front, naturally) BREAK off when I bit into a bite of
          > cheerios! Another crown - those sure get expensive.
          > I'm ready to just get them all pulled!
          > My eyes have gotten very bad very fast over the
          > past few years. Everyone says it has nothing to do
          > with the HCV, but I can't believe how fast my eyesight
          > has deteriorated in the past few years. Who knows?
          > Nothing would surprise me anymore.
          > Claudine
          >
          > --- Carol <csean@...> wrote:
          > > Hi Dawn
          > >
          > > Well, my eyes have definitely got weaker...had to
          > > get bi-focal glasses
          > > :-{ for the first time last year. But got the
          > > lineless ones, can't
          > > tell they are bi-focals, but alas, my contact lens
          > > days are over.
          > > whaaaaa I haven't been on treatment yet, btw.
          > >
          > > I am having major teeth problems. This is the first
          > > time anyone has
          > > mentioned it. I broke 3 teeth badly in the last
          > > year. One had a root
          > > canal, the other would cost me $500 but it's the
          > > back tooth so getting
          > > it pulled. Then, the worst insult of ever...I was
          > > FLOSSING my teeth,
          > > I have a bottom middle tooth that needed a
          > > filling....in the middle of
          > > flossing the dam thing, out comes 2 huge fillings.
          > > Sheeeesh, that
          > > pissed me right off. I could understand it if I was
          > > eating hard
          > > candy, but to happen when flossing my teeth is a
          > > major insult.
          > > Hmmmpphhhh Another $500 root canal coming up next
          > > month.

          > http://greetings.yahoo.com

        • martine
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 30, 2001
            i M THE SAME WHEN it comes to vision and dry mouth, I have been carrying an ice jusg for the last 3 years,as for the teeth, had to have them done also, but instead of all them dentist getting my money for crowns, i went and got A deatal implant, it took nine months,and a few dollars, but thats the last time i spent any money on dentist, and i dont have to put that goop in my mouth,which made me gag.and the crowns dont stay,so that was the option I took,and have been dental free for 20 yrs now. Its wonderfull, verses 20 yrs of dental hell,physically and mentally.
            Good luckkkkkkkkkkkk
            Martine

            claudine intexas wrote:

            > I have had major problems with my teeth for years
            > - my whole life actually. But much worse in the recent
            > years. I could have 10 teeth filled, and 6 months
            > later I'd need to have another 6 filled. Too many root
            > canals to remember. When I was diagnosed with HCV my
            > dentist asked me to ask my GI if the HCV (which my
            > dentist considered to be a systemic disease!) could be
            > causing the the rapid decay of my teeth. My GI said
            > no, but immediately tested me for elevated digestive
            > enzymes, and suspected an esophogeal reflux. Both came
            > back positive. I had elevated amalayse (both in my
            > saliva and pancreatic) and I also had a gastric
            > reflux, with acid probably backing up during the night
            > causing my teeth to decay faster than usual. Also,
            > treatment, with the dry mouth it causes, can cause
            > faster decay of teeth. Then there seems to be a
            > possible association between HCV and Sjogren's
            > syndrome or Sicca syndrome, which causes a dry mouth
            > and fast decay of teeth. So there are several things
            > to consider. Don't feel bad about the fillings coming
            > out because of flossing. I had a tooth (right in
            > front, naturally) BREAK off when I bit into a bite of
            > cheerios! Another crown - those sure get expensive.
            > I'm ready to just get them all pulled!
            > My eyes have gotten very bad very fast over the
            > past few years. Everyone says it has nothing to do
            > with the HCV, but I can't believe how fast my eyesight
            > has deteriorated in the past few years. Who knows?
            > Nothing would surprise me anymore.
            > Claudine
            >
            > --- Carol <csean@...> wrote:
            > > Hi Dawn
            > >
            > > Well, my eyes have definitely got weaker...had to
            > > get bi-focal glasses
            > > :-{ for the first time last year. But got the
            > > lineless ones, can't
            > > tell they are bi-focals, but alas, my contact lens
            > > days are over.
            > > whaaaaa I haven't been on treatment yet, btw.
            > >
            > > I am having major teeth problems. This is the first
            > > time anyone has
            > > mentioned it. I broke 3 teeth badly in the last
            > > year. One had a root
            > > canal, the other would cost me $500 but it's the
            > > back tooth so getting
            > > it pulled. Then, the worst insult of ever...I was
            > > FLOSSING my teeth,
            > > I have a bottom middle tooth that needed a
            > > filling....in the middle of
            > > flossing the dam thing, out comes 2 huge fillings.
            > > Sheeeesh, that
            > > pissed me right off. I could understand it if I was
            > > eating hard
            > > candy, but to happen when flossing my teeth is a
            > > major insult.
            > > Hmmmpphhhh Another $500 root canal coming up next
            > > month.

            > http://greetings.yahoo.com

          • Constance Dickson
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 30, 2001
              My eyes went bad when I was in the Burn Unit, I always
              contributed it to the thin burn line across them that
              I got when the flame up went in my face and I not
              getting eyes closed all the way before it hit them. I
              did not know what was wrong but I was afraid to drive.
              I thought maybe the driving in shock was still in my
              sub-concious, till it dawned on me that I could no
              longer see distant. I am near sighted now and have
              been since then. Has got a little worse but the
              Diabetes could be doing that. I don't even want to
              talk about teeth. Can't get a Dentist who is willing
              to work on them because of clotting time (Congenital
              ITP). I drink so much water I was told to stop. I
              found a bottled drink that contains no sugar is put
              out by Veryfine. Has one to build immunity, one for
              energy, and one for relaxation, could be more. Have
              only been able to find them at CVS pharmacy and is
              kind of expensive at $1.19 a bottle (well at least as
              fast as I drink it). Is just a small one don't think
              it is even 16 oz's maybe 12 oz at the biggest. I have
              to go there today so I am going to ask manager about a
              case of them, might be cheaper. They are different
              flavors. Darn I must have thrown bottle out.
              Connie

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • Galaxy Gurl
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2001
                Claudine,

                My eyes have gone south on me too in the past few years. I've always had
                excellent vision (had to I was an inspector), but noticed the last few
                years, 3 or so, that my eyes are weakening.

                Course, it's hard to say it's all HCV, as I'm 46 and the eyes harden as we
                age and so some of our acute vision goes too. Right now I wear drug store
                magnifying glasses to read with and I've increased the font on my puter.

                I would have thot the deteriation of my eyesite would have been more
                gradual. It seemed like one day I just couldn't see the print on the
                paperback I was reading and it scared me so I went to see an opthamologist
                and he said I had "SAS" short arm syndrome but thankfully nothing serious
                was wrong with my eyes.

                People with HCV I think should see an opthamologist (as opposed to an
                optometrist) to be sure to check for other causes to failing eyesite than
                just the hep. It certainly helped me feel more at ease and accept the
                gradual reduction in good site, knowing it wasn't something like cataracts
                or other eye problems.

                alley
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 30, 2001
                  Martine, what is a deatel implant? And how much did it cost? I
                  gather it's not dentures so I'm quite interested in it. Any info
                  would be great.

                  thanks
                  Carol

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 30, 2001
                    In a message dated 12/30/2001 11:36:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    csean@... writes:

                    > Martine, what is a deatel implant? And how much did it cost? I
                    > gather it's not dentures so I'm quite interested in it. Any info
                    > would be great.

                    Dental implants are where they literally put "teeth" into the jaw bone. It
                    is expensive and, according to my 75 year old Aunt who just had it done, it
                    "ain't" fun. But you're younger, so might not be as bad for you.
                    Hope this helps.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 31, 2001
                      Hi Anne

                      Well, I'm somewhat younger than your aunt, 49. I sure don't
                      understand why a 75 year old would even bother if it thats painful and
                      expensive. When I get my next root canal, I'll ask Dentist the cost.
                      Guess I could start saving now and in the next 3-5 years maybe have
                      enuff. But it's rather hard to save when on disability LOL. Thanks
                      Anne, I had no clue they even could do that!

                      Carol

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 31, 2001
                        In a message dated 12/31/2001 9:29:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        csean@... writes:

                        > Well, I'm somewhat younger than your aunt, 49. I sure don't
                        > understand why a 75 year old would even bother if it thetas painful and
                        > expensive. When I get my next root canal, I'll ask Dentist the cost.
                        > Guess I could start saving now and in the next 3-5 years maybe have
                        > enough. But it's rather hard to save when on disability LOLL. Thanks
                        > Anne, I had no clue they even could do that!

                        Dear Carol:
                        My aunt had her whole mouth done. The reason she did that at her age is that
                        she can't wear dentures because her jaw bone is so misaligned, which is why
                        her teeth fell out in the first place. She had the choice of the implants or
                        walking around with her mouth wired shut for 6+ months. She chose the former
                        since her teeth were already a wreck anyway. She and my Mother have the two
                        worst set of teeth I've ever seen. They aren't related, by the way.
                        If you live near a dental school and don't mind being something of a guinea
                        pig, you might be able to get your implants for next to nothing. Mother's
                        neighbor went that route. I think the whole thing cost her $300.00 and most
                        of that was the gas she used getting from Clinton to Chapel Hill and back.
                        Mother's bone deterioration is such that she can't have implants, so when the
                        tooth that is holding her telescopic bridge in goes bye-bye that will be
                        that.
                        Check out the dental school idea. I know what you mean about trying to save
                        on disability. I'm there, too.
                        LOL,

                      • martine
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
                          it was a dental implant ,( mis- spelled the first time ).and it coost about 9.000 dollars, but with all the money that i have saved not getting crowns and so what nots, i have saved alot of money, I have had this done over 7 years and not a problem with a dentist since.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
                            Anne, that is an excellent suggestion about checking out a dental
                            school, however I know that Vancouver didn't have one. My dentist(s)
                            have been trained in Calgary which is about a 12 hour drive.
                            Darn..but I will check if any new school has opened. A city the size
                            of Vancouver, with 2 major universities should have one. About your
                            mom and your aunt, that must have been a terrible situation, having
                            the jaw problems. Major Kudos for them getting the implants!! And
                            you can put me in the same category for teeth problems as your Mom and
                            Aunt. ARGGG it just ticks me off...but that's the way it is. This is
                            something I will for sure look into, Thanks Anne.

                            Carol

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
                              Martine...I'm so glad you solved your dental problems. If I hadn't
                              taken a 4 year vacation from seeing the dentist, I wouldn't be in such
                              bad shape. And I would've known about implants...I had no idea this
                              could be done. I wish now I had taken better care of my teeth. Alas,
                              I can't afford that much money now, but then if you did it over 7
                              years you didn't have to pay the money all at once right? It's
                              something for me to think about anyway...at least I know there is an
                              option to dentures. I have a tooth missing next to my front tooth
                              (long story, but accidental) and I have to wear a bridge when I go
                              out. I can't stand it, it drives me nuts! Perhaps I could start by
                              getting the one implant? I will consult a Dentist, that's for sure.
                              Thanks so much for the info.

                              Carol

                            • EnViolet@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                                Martine

                                Did you have implants to replace all your teeth ? If so, 9000 over the long
                                haul is a really good deal, like you said with crowns etc, you end up paying
                                this over time anyway

                              • martine
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                                  yes I did have dental implants after 20 yrs of misery with my teeth, then couldnt have denture ( now glad I couldnt,) because of all my bone loss, so they offered this, it does take about 8 months to get it done , cause there are 2 steps to this procedure,but going through it out wighs all the torture you will have to go through anyway, I havent had a problem since, and I dont need that goop for dentures to stay in.
                                  HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                                    Martine,
                                    Are the implants real teeth, or something synthetic that won't just
                                    decay again?
                                    Claudine

                                    http://greetings.yahoo.com