Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Hello Everyone!

  • connie woods
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2001
      From: Tatezi
      Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 10:54 AM
      To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Hello Everyone!

      I'm very confused about this message...I have never read or heard
      anything about milk thistle having adverse reactions with interferon and
      I believe that everyone on the list has been taking milk thistle since
      learning of it's benefits for the liver. It is the chinese herb
      bupleurum that has adverse effects with interferon.

      I took milk thistle all through tx and never had a problem. Now that I
      have joined the ranks of the unemployed and have not had money to buy
      milk thistle, I have noticed a distinct difference in my fatigue level.
      Enough of a difference that I am considering putting down my
      hyperthyroid cat whose meds are so expensive so I can get back on milk
      thistle and my hopefully my vitamins too.

      Tatezi.

      --
      "... democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people
      for the people." ~Oscar Wilde~

      so TATEZI how did your treatment turn out were you a responder and did you take the combo treatment Rebetron?well my qustion is even after treatment you still felt fagituge? im currently in my 8 week of treatment and was thinking about milk thisal but didnt want to do it intill after treatment .. so if you finshed yours how long was it before your enegery came back ? please anserew me back if you have the time . as im pretty worried about this treatment . And would appericate any info i can receive .
      THANK YOU
      STEVE WOODS

    • alleypat
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2001
        Tat,

        My doc asked me not to do milk thistle during treatment. He said he
        wasn't sure if it would screw with it, but he wanted to be sure and I
        agreed. Besides, for me with normal alts, it doesn't have much
        benefit.

        alley

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2001
          There were two theories about taking milk thistle
          during treatment going around for a while.

          One: If milk thistle protected liver cells from
          toxins, would it 'protect' the liver from interferon?

          No, interferon doesn't work like that.

          Two: Milk Thistle may interfere with the absorbtion of
          some medications, especially one used in the treatment
          of HIV.

          There was never any indication it might interfere with
          interferon or ribavirin, it was just a 'playing it
          safe' thing. This is still being studied, but it newer
          research indicates that it does NOT interfere with the
          levels of medications taken - even in that HIV
          medication.

          When a doctor tells you not to take it it is usually
          because he doesn't know anything about it and would
          rather 'play it safe'. Also, if a person is in a
          study, they usually don't want you to take ANYTHING
          that may 'skew' the results. If something helps, they
          need to know what it is.

          There is no 'medical' reason to not take it, even
          while on treatment.

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 6, 2001
            Alley....

            Guess the difference is that I have little to no faith in western
            medicine and always question doctors. (Obviously I am not a good patient
            when needing western medicine.)

            Western doctors are so anti herbs of any type. Gee, if people started
            taking herbs instead of medicines the pharacuetical companies would lose
            money, the doctors would lose their kickbacks so they would be losing
            money and hospitals would lose money. If they can't make money from it,
            they don't want us taking it.

            Oops, better go before I get on my soapbox about the western medical
            profession.....

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 6, 2001
              Thanks, Claudine. I was so confused when I read that post about adverse
              effects from taking milk thistle while in tx. I think without milk
              thistle you are narrowing your chances of beating this dragon...but
              that's only my opinion.

              And ofcourse it makes sense that you don't take it while in a
              study...they need to know exactly what their tx is doing without
              interference or assistance from any other drug/herb.

              Thanks for responding.
              Tatezi